Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "R" word question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
A couple of quick rust repair questions.

Note the red circled area. not this side, but the passenger side. Right before the door at the bottom of the front fender...

I was going to cut out the damaged area and butt weld in a new panel. It looks like some kind of bulkhead inside. Does anyone know what is behind here? I don't want to cut out too much, but want enough support if I need to spot weld the panel to a bulkhead.

The second spot is drivers door bottom edge at the jam. Access in this area looks good. Should not be a problem....
jd74914
There is a door jamb type bulkhead (the one next to the hinges) back there. Sorry, thats the best way I can descrive it.
Bleyseng
You can cut the rust out with a metal cutting disc just don't go deep. Pull off the skin panel and butt weld a new piece in. There is a drain at the bottom of the fender so don't plug it up.
crash914
Ok, that is what I thought. I might have to grind down the internal support slightly to get the butt weld part to fit.

It doesn't look too involved. Good point about the drains. That might be why the rust started. the last 4 years or so, this car has spent in the garage and hasn't gotten wet. this is an old defect. These 2 spots are really the only rust on the car. not bad for an east coast car...
STL914
Herb,

This may be a bit off topic, but what shade of green is that? I like it.

Gary
crash914
I don't know... I do have a gallon of paint and can look for you.

it is really close to a BMW Boston green. It shows darker than it is.

it is soon to be jelly bean blue...
crash914
ok, the bulkhead had a little surface rust. the rest of the unknown stuff was seam sealer. rust cut out and ready for replacement...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.