Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compression Test Shows #4 is low
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
What should I check? The reason I checked is that this cylinder was not firing? Could it be that the others are higher because they are hot? When I would run the car it would fire sporadically - could it be a bad valve adjustment? If I burnt a valve would it be zero? What are the most common issues? It was running fine two days ago. HELP!!
DNHunt
Too soon to panic yet. adjust the valves and try it again.
ken914
After you adjust your valves try running some Marvel Mystery Oil through it. You can get it at your local auto parts place. Follow the instructions on the bottle. It really helps unstick rings and clean up valve seats.

Best of luck.
ptravnic
I'm in a similar situation but my compression is reading 50psi sad.gif on my number 1 cylinder. I checked the valve from underneath and it was properly adjusted.

If there's a quick solution (like try this other oil stuff) then I'm all ears b/c I'm fixing on replacing the heads in the weeks ahead.

I'll keep track of this thread and please keep me posted.

-pt
ptravnic
I'm in a similar situation but my compression is reading 50psi sad.gif on my number 1 cylinder. I checked the valve from underneath and it was properly adjusted.

If there's a quick solution (like try this other oil stuff) then I'm all ears b/c I'm fixing on replacing the heads in the weeks ahead.

I'll keep track of this thread and please keep me posted.

-pt
DNHunt
Some people say shot of oil in the cylinder might help you determine if it is rings. However, I've never been able to see much improvement with the oil so that test hasn't helped me. I've done leakdown tests a bunch and it certainly is helpful. It can help pinpoint which valve is a problem or if the rings are shot.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.