Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it possible?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
guiltless
Is it possible to fit an inline 6 into the back of a teener? And I don't mean the "enough time an money anything is possible" kind of possible. I mean the semi-tube frame in the rear and a strong tranny with a kennedy adaptor plate kind of possible.

I am very most likely not going to pursue this, but the idea would be to use an inline 6 from a nissan Skyline. Kick ass motor that is as strong as a tank.

Just wondering.
bondo
Maybe if you found a way to point it straight up. smile.gif
guiltless
Yeah, but I don't want it to be shooting oil everywhere as soon as it gets a little rev. You know, premature cotastrification.
Aaron Cox
most inline 4's dont even fit...

a six is a no no... (you thinking M5? bmw power?)
guiltless
I was thinking rb26dett from a Skyline GTR. They can be had for about $4k. They are good for 500hp with basic mods and good tuning.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(guiltless @ Aug 1 2006, 01:54 PM) *

I was thinking rb26dett from a Skyline GTR. They can be had for about $4k. They are good for 500hp with basic mods and good tuning.

hmm....

most likely too long, and quite an exotic powerplant (no one makes an adapter yet)

hewland tranny? G50? 930?

cotastrification

Lindsay made that one up didnt she? that isnt a real word.... i dont think biggrin.gif
guiltless
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2006, 01:55 PM) *

hmm....

most likely too long, and quite an exotic powerplant (no one makes an adapter yet)

hewland tranny? G50? 930?

Hadn't figured it out that far. Just the thought of that engine got me excited. I figured it would be more about lining everything up and letting kennedy worry about the adaptor. Whatever tranny would work.
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2006, 01:55 PM) *

cotastrification

Lindsay made that one up didnt she? that isnt a real word.... i dont think biggrin.gif

No, but it totally sounds like something she would say.
Aaron Cox
ROFL...
guiltless
I am just trying to think outside of the box for this car. Everyone is doing sixes and suby transplants and I was reaching for something different.

Looks like as different as I am going to go is a suby ej20 or ej257 making around 300whp.
Aaron Cox
v8 DOHC lexus motors....
guiltless
Definately a thought. I'v seen the twin turbo versions make some serious power. A bit too heavy for me though.

I was also thinking the 3.2l VR6 from the VWR32. That makes 241hp in stock trim with gobs of torque, plus is easily upgradeable with twin turbos. The only problem is you can't get em used and they are $8k new.
Aaron Cox
build a vr6 yourself...trick internals and big boost = FUN

mueller began a swap, and sold it before it was complete iirc...
bondo
A W16 might fit... biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
W12 is in your future!!!

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Yeah, but I don't want it to be shooting oil everywhere as soon as it gets a little rev

Why would that be any different than a T4? w00t.gif
guiltless
540hp in stock trim. But finding one? I would do it in a heartbeat. I have driven the A8 W12 and it is insane.
jd74914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 1 2006, 06:14 PM) *

build a vr6 yourself...trick internals and big boost = FUN

mueller began a swap, and sold it before it was complete iirc...

Build a VRt . . . a VR6 turbo. Serious power comes from those beasts. I don't know how much you know of the waterpumper VW world, but a VR6 with stock bottom end, more potent cam, a turbo pumping in about 20psi, and a head spacer which bring the compression to about 8.5:1 puts about 400hp to the pavement. These are some highly potent engines. happy11.gif

With stronger top ends (heads) these VRt's make crazy power for not that much $$. I bet Alex Wentworth would be happy to help any 914er out in putting one in. I was actually talking with him about the possibilty (and his own personal choice of 914 engines) at his shop last week. For reference, Wentworth Motorsports built this Mk3 GTI (its one of the first worldwide with a rear engine). It has stock internals as of now and puts out 387hp to the rear wheels (with the dyno guy screwing up and reving to only 6k instead of 8): As seen last month @ H2O

IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(guiltless @ Aug 1 2006, 10:55 AM) *

Is it possible to fit an inline 6 into the back of a teener? And I don't mean the "enough time an money anything is possible" kind of possible. I mean the semi-tube frame in the rear and a strong tranny with a kennedy adaptor plate kind of possible.

I am very most likely not going to pursue this, but the idea would be to use an inline 6 from a nissan Skyline. Kick ass motor that is as strong as a tank.

Just wondering.

to me.....enough money is equal to time AND effort...same thing more or less...

also adding the "semi-tube" opens up the possibilities by huge margins...it's not even worth debating..the answer is yes...

I did have the VR6 installed in my white caged 914, I ended up cutting the rear trunk wall which to me was unacceptable for my personal car....I could have moved the motor foward and down, but the firewall would have to be modified which would have been a PITA due to the cage. For me, the VR6 motor is not an ideal engine, it's very tall, the camshaft gears are on the flywheel side of the engine which causes the interferance with the rear trunk wall. Of course I am talking about trying to keep the engine bay/firewalls intact without any cutting or mods.

guiltless
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 1 2006, 04:08 PM) *

I ended up cutting the rear trunk wall which to me was unacceptable for my personal car....I could have moved the motor foward and down, but the firewall would have to be modified which would have been a PITA due to the cage. For me, the VR6 motor is not an ideal engine, it's very tall, the camshaft gears are on the flywheel side of the engine which causes the interferance with the rear trunk wall. Of course I am talking about trying to keep the engine bay/firewalls intact without any cutting or mods.

Yeah. I want to avoid that as much as possible. I don't think the vr6 would be worth it. Now the w12 would, but i can't find that engine anywhere.

I think suby is still in the lead.
Mueller
QUOTE(guiltless @ Aug 1 2006, 04:16 PM) *

Yeah. I want to avoid that as much as possible. I don't think the vr6 would be worth it. Now the w12 would, but i can't find that engine anywhere.

I think suby is still in the lead.

A W12 was on eBay a few months ago, sold for less than $5K I think it was...I wouldn't want to tackle the electronics, I'm 99.9% sure it's a drive by wire and the wiring for the stock ECU will be a nightmare........

there is "outside of the box" thinking and being practical smile.gif
Crazyhippy
Performance, and rare... maybe a 32 valve mustang motor... or the new 24 valve one...

How about a Honda S2K motor, lots of potential, and semi available.

It's hard to beat the subie though, unless you want un-useable amounts of power. (500hp will light up sticky street tires in 3rd gear w/ a 930)

BJH
guiltless
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 1 2006, 04:30 PM) *

A W12 was on eBay a few months ago, sold for less than $5K I think it was...I wouldn't want to tackle the electronics, I'm 99.9% sure it's a drive by wire and the wiring for the stock ECU will be a nightmare........

What if you used a stand alone engine management system?
Rotary'14
Since you like nissan motors, and want to be different. How about the SR-20DET? Inline 4 cylinder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SR_engine

-Rob
guiltless
You know what... It is totally possible. My dad (mastertech for Mercedes Benz and long time engine builder) and I were talking about how to get a W12 to work. I just e-mailed Haltech about a standalone unit that can run that engine, and if not, I think we may have found a way to run it another way.

This may be possible. If I can get the engine for under $10k then I think I may give it a go.
Aaron Cox
rock on.

914-12
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(guiltless @ Aug 1 2006, 07:50 PM) *

You know what... It is totally possible. My dad (mastertech for Mercedes Benz and long time engine builder) and I were talking about how to get a W12 to work. I just e-mailed Haltech about a standalone unit that can run that engine, and if not, I think we may have found a way to run it another way.

This may be possible. If I can get the engine for under $10k then I think I may give it a go.

Be sitting down when Haltech gives you the price on that standalone.... Put me in the pool for $5K blink.gif mad.gif

Now you're into a motor 15K and haven't even come close to putting it into the car... YIKES!

BJH
bondo
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Aug 2 2006, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(guiltless @ Aug 1 2006, 07:50 PM) *

Be sitting down when Haltech gives you the price on that standalone.... Put me in the pool for $5K blink.gif mad.gif

Now you're into a motor 15K and haven't even come close to putting it into the car... YIKES!

BJH

I would think the easiest (or at least cheapest) way to do a 12 would be to use two engine management systems set up for a 6, or three set up for a 4. Heck, there's probably a way to do it with megasquirt. Pull it off and you'd be a hero. smile.gif
guiltless
Here's the fun thing. If I can't get it done with FI, then there is another option. Run computer controlled ignition... Hook up a soleniod to activate the Variable Intake Valve Control at a preset RPM... Then have an intake made (my dad knows a few guys who know some guys who can do it) that will allow me to use 12 individual carbs. Tuning HELL, but interesting none-the-less.

And about the $15k... I was always planning on going with a built motor, either a 3.6 or a very stong Suby 2.5t. Either would cost around the same, and neither would be nearly as cool or as powerful. I figure if I am going to spend too much, I might as well have a 450hp 914-W12.

This is now my mission. I will pull this off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.