Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talkin' Bout A Heatwave!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
This heatwave across most of the right side of the country must be effecting engine temps...

What are the workarounds?
turboman808
What heat wave confused24.gif

The work around it to roll down my windows biggrin.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 1 2006, 03:42 PM) *

What heat wave confused24.gif

I spy someone who doesn't take the subway to work...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 1 2006, 03:40 PM) *

What are the workarounds?

Jack stands av-943.gif My engine is just fine, sitting there dry.gif
Demick
My workaround:
If it's going to be over 95 degrees, I don't drive the 914. But it's for my comfort - not for engine cooling reasons.
fitsbain
[/quote]

Jack stands av-943.gif My engine is just fine, sitting there dry.gif
[/quote]

LOL

What about Wasser Box heads??

headbang.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 1 2006, 11:58 AM) *

...took the path all around this past weekend...surprised how cool down there!
and clean....
turboman808
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 1 2006, 11:58 AM) *

If you live in Midtown why are you taking the subway?

I work in Hackensack so I got a 1.5 hour commute to go 20 miles. I seriously need to find a place to live out here. The commute and the tolls are killing me. My tolls a month would pretty much pay for an apartment.
Jake Raby
Yesterday afternoon it was 99 ambient and the heads were just a tad over 275 and oil at about 190..
:-)
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 1 2006, 12:17 PM) *

I got a 1.5 hour commute to go 20 miles.

...money saved is great...the 2.5 hours you add to your day could be used for plenty.
WRX914
Heatwave??? av-943.gif

you guys call that a heatwave? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

went through Baker California a couple of weeks ago, the temp read 125 degrees. The motorhome's outside temp guage at one point read 134! Now THAT is a heatwave. Literally felt like a hairdryer blowing at your face. The desert sucks in the summer, but heavenly during the fall, early winter and spring.

Brett W
Its only 92 here with 53% humidity. Although it will rain this afternoon and crank that humidity up to 100% then life will suck.

AS for engine temps, if the cooling system is designed properly you should see no increase in operating temperatures.
ptravnic

[/quote]
If you live in Midtown why are you taking the subway?
[/quote]

Live @ 39th/Lex, work a block north of WTC... Subway is the only way to go & the Fulton St station has no AC... It's brutal on the way home - like a toaster oven on the platform. Lots of the platforms are like that but the trains' AC does provide some relief.

turboman808
When I worked in Manhattan I pretty much road a bike all the time to get everywhere. I lived in The Gardens over in Forest Hills. Now that was a nice place to live. I miss it sad.gif

Yeah Ray if you know a good place to look for a small farm or cottage hook me up. I don't have much luck with craigslist. Everything listed is for people commuting to NYC. Something within 20 miles of hackensack would probably be best. Think I mentioned this to you before.
JPB
On stands under a car cover, now thats COOL BROTHER.

shades.gif Ya baby, way cool.
pfierb
To hot to drive the 914 you melt right into the vinyl seats....use one of the cars with wonderful A/C.
rmital
...today is even better....or worse depending on how you look at it.
always wondered how it felt living in Arizona.

ptravnic
Although those desert type places don't have the humidity to contend with...
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Aug 2 2006, 09:42 AM) *

Although those desert type places don't have the humidity to contend with...

...true....can't do nuthin' with my hair....
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 2 2006, 01:44 PM) *

...true....can't do nuthin' with my hair....

You could go w/Dr Evil's method... happy11.gif
drewvw

it is CRAZY hot here in boston today....the "feels like" temp is 109
turboman808
It seems to have gotten better. But I went on my daily run around 11am and it definetly felt hot as hell. Couldn't hardly get my legs to move. About 1 mile from home my dog stopped and made me carry him. We did the route that takes us by 5 spots to get water but that didn't seem to help.

But now the clouds have moved in and its down a bit it seems. Days like this I wish I had AC in my car.
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 2 2006, 10:06 AM) *

About 1 mile from home my dog stopped and made me carry him.

...dude...the ASPCA is going to cuff you if they see you running a dog mid-day in this heat!

Unless it's a African Ridgeback...or some crazy breed just as tough.
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 2 2006, 10:21 AM) *

...dude...the ASPCA is going to cuff you if they see you running a dog mid-day in this heat!

Nah he is smart. If he is to hot he stops. But we pass by 2 streams and he jump in them. There more likely to stop me because I don't keep him on a leash anyways.
ptravnic
My puppy has been lethargic. They do get run down quickly in this stuff. A couple weeks ago he was dancing on the street b/c the pavement was too hot. Sometimes ya just have to carry them...

turboman808
We have a little pool in back for him and unfortunately he knows how to turn on the sprinklner. Since my brother is home from school it's alright because he can turn it off. But he loves the dam sprinkler when its hot out.
drewvw

i got one of those oil temp dipsticks in the mail yesterday and popped it in and went for a drive after work.....220 not too shabby in this heat!

I highly recommend 'em by the way...
porschecb
I use dryice caplets inside 1/2 inch copper tubes around my heads no heat here. biggrin.gif
Brian Mifsud
It's never a good idea to run VW lean.. it's a worse idea to do that in hot weather... make sure at least that your valves are properly adjusted.. you don't need leaking exhaust gas superheating the stems...
ptravnic
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 2 2006, 04:26 PM) *

It's never a good idea to run VW lean.. it's a worse idea to do that in hot weather... make sure at least that your valves are properly adjusted.. you don't need leaking exhaust gas superheating the stems...

ahhh, errr, ummm, too late - valve is already burned, heads are back from the shop - need time now to drop the engine and put em on... chair.gif

r_towle
QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 2 2006, 02:21 PM) *

they are Rhodesian Ridgbacks..and they dont like it either...

We have two and the inlaws breed them...funny, the dog room has AC, the house does not..

Rich
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 2 2006, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Aug 2 2006, 02:21 PM) *

they are Rhodesian Ridgbacks..and they dont like it either...

We have two and the inlaws breed them...funny, the dog room has AC, the house does not..

Rich

I'll be the reason the dog wanted to be carried was not because of the air temperature.. check out the pads on his feet......
ptravnic
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Aug 2 2006, 05:25 PM) *

I'll be the reason the dog wanted to be carried was not because of the air temperature.. check out the pads on his feet......

Thats what I was talking about when I mentioned my puppy was "dancing" on the sidewalk a couple weeks ago... The blacktop is especially rough for them. Their paws just can't take it. Remember walking through a blacktop parking lot w/bare feet when you were a kid? Same idea...
drewvw

dancing dog = not happy dog
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(drewvw @ Aug 2 2006, 03:02 PM) *

i got one of those oil temp dipsticks in the mail yesterday and popped it in and went for a drive after work.....220 not too shabby in this heat!

I highly recommend 'em by the way...

I like that idea - good for the 914 - better for the bus, it has no temp guage.

I have been protesting this thread. I miss the weather in the Bay Area.

Humidity sucks ass!!!!
nycchef
enough about the heat! I work in a kitchen where it is always 115 degrees . although not today, too hot to walk to my car. fell asleep on the couch, lost a bid on ebay. now will have to lay in the pool till the heat breaks. nate wait till ray is governor to move to n.j. then were all moving there.
turboman808
QUOTE(nycchef @ Aug 3 2006, 01:05 PM) *

nate wait till ray is governor to move to n.j. then were all moving there.

I think I may have figured out a solution to my problem. Gonna talk with my boss about it monday. Large private office so I can stay overnight if I want and I can keep my dog in the office with me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.