Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 17 yr old Collin Braun wins 2nd Grand AM race!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Some of you here locally have heard me talk about my buddy who is a long term family friend of Brauns and has known Collin since age 1. Well I was lucky enough to get to tag along for the Rolex series race last weekend in Birmingham.

It was awsome!!! We had hot pit passes and got to hang around with Collin, his family and most everyone with Krohn Racing. What a weekend. Anyone who has gotten to see a race like this in the pits knows, that these pictures don't do justice. But here they are anyway.

Young Collin and his dad "entertaining" on qualifying day....
jr91472
Qualifying......
jr91472
checkered flag....
Brad Roberts
Interesting.

ALMS makes everyone in the hot pit wear fire suits.

Something else of interest: Your association with one of the wealthiest oil men in the country (Tracy Krohn) I knew he was based out of Texas.

Must be nice to land a ride like that!!

B
jr91472
can you say "pole position"???
jr91472
Porsche power.....
jr91472
Sunday morning practice runs in the wet....
jr91472
more from turn 1&2
Brad Roberts
Who was his co driver? I forget. I watched the race but dont recall.

One of my best friends was on the Barbour team when Krohn tried his hand at the Lambo's in the ALMS.

B
jr91472
nother
jr91472
me, with my home team colors on...... icon8.gif
Brad Roberts
One of our club members (MattR) builds tests and dyno's the DP engines for Ruby Tuesday/Alex Job.

Oh.. you can attach more than one picture in each post.

B
jr91472
Collin getting ready...
jr91472
Green flag...turn 1
jr91472
driver change....they were hoping for a 1 stop race. But the extra warm up laps before the start kinda hurt them...
jr91472
the wolfman piratenanner.gif
jr91472
a little "post race excitement" ar15.gif
jr91472
Winners.....
jr91472
Rode hard and put up wet. Which is how I felt after 2 days of 90+deg temps and 90+ percent humidity.

jr91472
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 1 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Who was his co driver? I forget. I watched the race but dont recall.

One of my best friends was on the Barbour team when Krohn tried his hand at the Lambo's in the ALMS.

B

Jorg Bergmiester.
Brad Roberts
That's right!

Would I be guessing correctly if I said: Jorg qualified the car?

Did Collin/family pay for the seat?

B
jr91472
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 1 2006, 12:47 PM) *

Must be nice to land a ride like that!!

B

no lie. That guy knows how to have a "hobby". You know he drives the 75 car. burnout.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 1 2006, 01:47 PM) *

Interesting.

ALMS makes everyone in the hot pit wear fire suits.

B

Well, Grand Am is NASCAR, tnd they're the LAST to adopt anything that takes away from the family's bottom line, so where's the surprise? The Cap'n
BMXerror
Man, I would love to race those things! I am so jealous of those kids who grew up in a racing family with all the support (moral and financial) for their hobby (before it was a career). It kinda seems like it's impossible for a guy like myself to make it anywhere in racing, but I have some time. Not to take away from his skill. GJ Collin. Love the Alex Job car too. 510 HP out of 3.8 liters! Yikes!
Mark D.
jr91472
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 1 2006, 01:06 PM) *

Did Collin/family pay for the seat?

B

No, he is a paid driver. His dad (Jeff?) is chief engineer for the 75 car. Jeff is supposed to be one of the best.
Brad Roberts
BMX,

you havent missed anything.

Ask:

David Murray
Randy Pobst
Craig Stanton
Hurley Haywood

Ask them all how old they are. All of them are pro. and none of them are under age 45. Craig started super late (like age 38 or something)

The key is: money, or access to it. Anyone (and I mean anyone) can rent a seat at any given time. Before The Racers Group got big.. it was "only" 40k to rent a seat in one of their worn out/beat up GT3RSR's for one ALMS weekend. Cheaper for Daytona and CA. tracks.

It's never too late (Paul Newman is what? 75 or 76 )

B
Brad Roberts
510 HP out of 3.8 liters!

They are WAY over that. That is what "has" to be published.

B
maf914
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 1 2006, 01:03 PM) *

Rode hard and put up wet. Which is how I felt after 2 days of 90+deg temps and 90+ percent humidity.

Thanks for the photos!

I watched the race on TV this year. We went to the race last year and the year before. It rained on-and-off for both of these and the humidity was out of sight. It would go from overcast to steamy hot sunshine. Talk about sweating! I don't know why they gave a track in Alabama a July date. This is the deep south people! laugh.gif The weather is one of the reasons we didn't go back this year.

Having said that, I do think the Barber Motorsport Park is a really nice little circuit. More like a club track, but well done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.