Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NoVA - DC - MD: Engine reinstall in Frederick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
So after two different vacations and much procrastination, I will be reinstalling the engine - tranny into my car this Saturday. Recall the good Doctor did his magic on the tranny. I've fiddled with the gaskets on the oil cooler. if not done by then we will adjust the valves too. should be a busy day.
Beverages and grill after we're done - or late afternoon.

My place in Frederick. PM me for directions.
required attendees: Scottb. Leo Imperial, Evan, Zymurgist and anyone else who wants to drop by!

starting time 10-ish am
ws91420
Would love to be there but working Sat. Will be up in Leesburg hopefully on Sun to finish up a couple things on mine to get it drivable.
zymurgist
I'll see if I can make it. I don't think I've got any plans for Saturday.

(Been laying low since Welby's get-together since I failed to show up sad.gif )
crash914
hmmmm got to watch the kids, but this might be a go.

you are only about 20 miles away, pm address....I will bring a tranny, what else do you need???
JPB
Sounds cool. Hey, you don't want us to go last year right cause my time travel cards are all used up. LOL

beer.gif I might we'll see.
ws91420
No problem Ken you just missed out on some good brats. You can atone for your transgressions if you want to come help with the M/C if I come up on Sunday. J/K
type4org
Count me in, PM to Matt on the way.
plas76targa
Jens - PM sent

Crash914 - Pm to be sent (next)

Let's hope this heat wave is over the Atlantic by Saturday!
plas76targa
Just a icon_bump.gif
Dr Evil
Other things that you can learn:
-How SS fuel lines should fit
-How to remove and replace your front blower fan
-Installation of gas tank

All reminence of last nights work of pulling the tank (bathing Matt in gas biggrin.gif ), installing SS fuel lines, and removing a very badly siezed fan.
smilie_pokal.gif
Rick L
I'll be there.
bob
plas76targa... I may be around saturday, I'll PM you for directions....

-bob
root
Already got plans to finish the body work on the Hachi Roku.
All day Sat and SUN.

Good luck guys! Damn wish I could make it! headbang.gif

Gonna miss seeing Evil in his natural habitat, all greased up!
scottb
icon_bump.gif

and i can't make it on saturday! headbang.gif

i am the alpha parent for my sons b-day shin-dig so i will be otherwise occupied until early evening.

i will however be there is spirit. if you want to know i am there, just look in the street by the mail bax at what my car barf.gif up last time!!!

sorry i can't make i boys....

sad.gif
plas76targa
"Mail BAX" is that Bostonian-speak?

Call us later in the day or stop over after dinner.. We'll might still be here
evan
Ask Dr. Evil about his tach for fending off inquiring neighbors who know nothing but renting rooms and holding lights...
Smelled Matt's gas good night on wed.

e
scottb
icon_bump.gif

how did it go?

inquiring minds want to know......

Dr Evil
How did it go? Well let me put it this way, I left my house at 8:30am and got homw at 3am.....my dreams were haunted by his car. You know you pushed it when you dream you are still working on the car.

We plumbed the fule system (since he now has new SS fuel lines), adjusted the vlaves with the engine out, put all of the parts back on the engine, put the engine in, installed my special saftey bolts and safety wired them, new engine and tranny mounts all around (911 sporto type), then replaced the throttle cable, found the throttle pedal parts in the pedal cluster to be in ill repair so I took the cluster out and seviced it, reinstalled shifter and linkages, reinstalled the front blower fan, reinstalled all of the hoses and FI on top of the engine, and I am sure other things that escape my mind.

And in the middle of all of this I also completely serviced Jens's shift linkage by putting in new bushings and cone screws. His socket bushing at the end of his linkage was no more and was why his car was shifting like poo.

All that should be left to do today is to install the sway bar and fuel tank. We would have continued on, but drilling with a hole saw at 1am tends to make wives and neighbors unhappy wink.gif

Ken (Zymergist) and I stayed until the bitter end at 1:30am, Jens and Herb (Crash914) hung out until about 10pm or so (I think).
crash914
wow, you guys are die hards...

don't forget to check the lug bolts, the ecu needs a screw at the rear, behind the battery..

Thanks for all the grub, kids had a blast. Lets do this again soon...
herb
zymurgist
Check thy log bolts... but don't overachieve. Matt and Mike both had a heck of a time breaking the front bolts loose... the wheels somehow turned even with the weight of the car on them, and with my fat ass sitting on the front bumper! Oh well, at least we know now that the wheels would never have "just come off." biggrin.gif
zymurgist
Oh yeah, Jens's car is totally awesome! It's a low mileage survivor, it's ORANGE, and it has cloth seat inserts that give it that period feel... groovy, baby!
type4org
Big thanks from me to Matt and his wife for not only tolerating but even feeding some people like me who stood around watching other people work for most of the time.

Big thanks also to Dr Evil: the shift feel is much more precise, and most noticeably I can now rely on the shifter pulling itself into the middle position correctly when letting it go, this makes downshifting 4->3 and upshifting 1->2 much nicer. Grazing reverse on the way from 1 to 2 is just not cool.

Thanks for the kind words there, Ken wink.gif The car is not concours-ready, but I'd much rather have something that's as original as possible with signs of being used instead of spending my weekends under the car with Q-Tips.

The food was great, the people were great, the weather was still bearable, I had a chance to drive top-down for a bit, and my car came back in better shape than when I took off - what more could you want?

plas76targa
You guys are great. Modest Mike.. most of the work was done by him and Herb (Crash914), I wasted time on one trip to the hardware store, and a half hour on my slow laptop finding and printing the pelican article.

Today I cut the holes for the sway bar, cut one side out for the Engman reinforcement plate and rustoleum painted that side. Monday I should have the other side cut out and painted. Maybe even get the bar on if I can get the one remaining old gromet off the bar.

Anyway beerchug.gif cheers to Dr Evil, Crash914, Jens (type4org), and Zymurgist for helping out. It will be nice to get back on the road with this car.

Scottb, we missed you. How about a goin' away party before you leave?
Leo Imperial
How did I miss this???

Sorry guys to much work and no play as of late.
I'm actually glad I didn't see it earlier - I had to work on Saturday mad.gif

Matt - your car is approaching perfection. It sounds like a good time was had by all. You know it is a funny thing about that Doctor kid, he just can't stop until the job is done right.
plas76targa
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Aug 7 2006, 08:05 PM) *

Matt - your car is approaching perfection. It sounds like a good time was had by all. You know it is a funny thing about that Doctor kid, he just can't stop until the job is done right.

Yeah, Mike says I'm heading towards concours weanie. You were missed. We are talking about getting a dinner gathering near the PA MD line, it would be a haul for you but we'll be sure you hear about it.
zymurgist
Oh yeah! Chubby's BBQ in Emmitsburg! chowtime.gif beer3.gif

If you leave that place hungry it's your own damn fault.
crash914
kool, I am game....

Matt, no problem, parts are not going anywhere...

Mike. 2 pressure plates, 1 T/O bearing and one 4 spring disk...let me know....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.