Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's all in the balance...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I'm going to be building my rotisserie soon. I've seen them where they come straight off the center of the bumper mounts, and I've seen them where they have a vertical offset on one or both sides. I remember reading somewhere that if you pivot straight off the bumper mounts, it's "pretty easy to turn". I'm shooting for as near to a perfect balance as possible, as I plan to work on it in pretty much every possible angle of rotation.

Tell me what you have done, and how balanced it was with a stripped tub. I'll have the engman kit all welded in, so that would add weight to the bottom. Other than that it's just a stock 73 tub.
Joe Owensby
I have mine in the center of the bumper. It turns pretty easy. I just use a chain to hook on to it to keep it from further rotation as I am working on it. Joe O.
bondo
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Aug 1 2006, 04:42 PM) *

I have mine in the center of the bumper. It turns pretty easy. I just use a chain to hook on to it to keep it from further rotation as I am working on it. Joe O.

Where's the heavy spot? Should I aim for a little below or a little above the bumper center?
Mueller
you could always add some weights for a counter balance if a little "off".... smash.gif

McMark
In my experience, you need to have a slight vertical offset. It's not about how easy it is to turn, it's about how balanced it is and if you can easily let the car rest in any orientation. I've worked with rotisseries where it took two people to turn upside down because of the weight imbalance. And I know some people thought that rotisserie was balanced. ohmy.gif

This is the best rotisserie I have used yet. See the plate on the left that moves the center of rotation 10-12 inches up.
bondo
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 1 2006, 05:15 PM) *

In my experience, you need to have a slight vertical offset. It's not about how easy it is to turn, it's about how balanced it is and if you can easily let the car rest in any orientation. I've worked with rotisseries where it took two people to turn upside down because of the weight imbalance. And I know some people thought that rotisserie was balanced. ohmy.gif

This is the best rotisserie I have used yet. See the plate on the left that moves the center of rotation 10-12 inches up.

Cool! Whose rotisserie is that? Is getting an exact measurement possible? I have some over-engineering planned for this rotisserie, and it is critical that it's pretty closely balanced. (critical enough that if it isn't I will be adjusting it until it is)
East coaster
I made my attach points on center and it seemed very well balanced. Once it gets to the angle pictured below it would try to rotate on its own though. Nothing more than you could control one handed though. I used a t-handled locking screw on the pivot at each end and it was sufficient to hold it in any position I wanted.

Click to view attachment
mikey
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 1 2006, 05:15 PM) *

That one looks familiar! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's my rotisserie with my car on it!

I worked with Richie Lukes of Lukes and Shoreman in Albany,CA. We made that years ago. It was originally made to adjust between the different 356 models (coupe, cabriolet, roadster, speedster) since they vary so much in center of gravity. It was later adapted at the mountings to fit the 914 bumper mount points.

The rest of the rotisserie is just 2 simple J.C. Whitney engine stands. I think it's in my storage unit. (Either that or Brad is using it). Next time I need parts from my storage cache I'll dig it out and take measurements and post them for all to copy. Very simple to make if you have a drill press.
John
Mine is in the center of the bumper mounts and it turns easily by one person.

I also have clamps and pins at both ends and can hold the car at any angle.
bondo
Thanks guys, this is just the info I needed. Just wait until you see what I have planned.. I'll be able to hold it at nearly any angle and height. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.