Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 supercharger?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ziggy101
ok...so i pulled a super charger of one of the cars in a lot, and it is a supercherger for a 4 cylinder motor. i can make it fit on my 914, but have a question or two...

first of all, is there anyway that i can get it to even turn with the motor? because a belt is supposed to turn the pulley, and i dont no how to get it to work.

and second, if i DO get it working,somehow, would it even have an effect? i like the supercharger, it works fine, and i dont want it to go to waste. thanks.
Mueller
it's been done a few times, do a search for pictures....

basicly you drive the S/C from a pulley behind the fan....

aftermarket fuel injection would make the install easier...

not sure what you mean "would it have an effect" confused24.gif

if the supercharger works and is producing boost, then yes, it'll increase the HP and torque of the engine...

I recommend a few books, one is by Corky Bell (he has a turbocharger book and a supercharger book)

the other is from A.Graham Bell, called Forced Induction or something like that...

ziggy101
well basically im just tryin to figure out how to get it to work....

would you be able to mount something to the fan, and attach a belt? like a pulley? it doesnt haveto go far, but i dont want to destry my motor fan or anything....any ideas?
Dr Evil
Maybe you can run it from the stock 76 smog pump pully?
ziggy101
i could, but i have a '73 and i dont no how the smog pump works, and i dont have one, or no where to get it.

haha this is difficult to figure out WTF.gif

so i was thinkin if i could attach some kind of pulley to the fan, and run a belt to the supercharger, it could work. but i dont no how to do that. and i dont really want to go welding stuff to my fan....

thanks..
Dr Evil
Where are you located? There may be parts places near by that you can do research at. If you can not swap the fan, housing and parts to put the 76 unit on then you may be a bit over your head at this point with the SC. Do a little research to find out how the 76 or even the air conditioning compressor was run in stock form. I do not have any pics or I would post them for you. Why reinvent the wheel?
Sammy
Dude.
Yes it can work, yes it can make a difference, but no, it isn't going to be simple or easy.

You need two things to pull this off:
knowledge and skill.
Mechanical skills take time to develop, even then you need an aptitude. Only you can decide if you have those skills.

Knowledge is also aquired, but not from posting questions on a board like this. No one wil lbe able to guide you through it because it will be a custom installation.
Your project is going to be basically a one off type of deal.

You need to get books on turbocharging, supercharging, fuel injection, and type 4 engines and study them, over and over.
Then you will start to develop a clue about how to pull this off sucessfully.

I hate to discourage anyone but if you don't have the skills and don't want to spend the time to do the homework, you will fail.

I speak from experience.
I turbocharged a type 4 914 from scratch, I have a non-stock turbocharger on my 911SC, I built a supercharged chrysler hemi in the 80's.
I was sucessful only because I did my homework. For years i was like a sponge, searching for and absorbing every single bit of information I could find. Eventually it all made sense.

You can do it but you need to become an expert on the subject BEFORE you start the project, not after you give up.

BTW, I gave this same speech to a few members of this board who were planning to start some unusual projects over the past couple of years.
At least one of them did what was necessary and his project worked out very well.
I toasted his efforts and raised my glass to him. You know who you are drunk.gif

One of the others did not complete his project. I doubt he ever will.
bernbomb914
you could mount it like a air conditioner compressor. there are parts around for that install
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sammy @ Aug 2 2006, 08:39 AM) *

You need to get books on turbocharging, supercharging, fuel injection, and type 4 engines and study them, over and over.
Then you will start to develop a clue about how to pull this off sucessfully.

agree.gif you don't sound like you know what you're doing ...

read up on the subject and make yourself familiar with how these things work.
otherwise, you're most likely going to burn up your motor, or worse, your car ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Sammy
Here are a couple of suggestions just to bget your brain headed in the right direction:

You need to know the rated CFM of the supercharger at a given RPM.
You need to know the direction of rotation of the supercharger. Get it wrong and it will suck instead of blow.
You need to determine how much boost your engine can safely take, how efficient the blower is at that rated point, and how hot the charged air will get.
can I assume this is a postitive displacement supercharger as apposed to a centrrifugal unit?

You need to calculate how fast you want it to spin in relation to the engine and how much torque it will require to turn the supercharger at maximum pressure and speed.

Then you need to come up with a belt and pulley system that can handle that amount of torque and then some, I recommend a 50% safety margin at a minimum.
You need to decide the ratio of the driver to the driven, then decide on diameters. Larger is better as far as power transmission (to a point).

After you have come up with the appropriate drive system you need to decide where and how to mount it. You might be able to mount in behind the cooling fan if there is room, that needs to be engineered and not cobbled together.

Next you need to design a bracket system that will hold the supercharger in place while allowing adjustments.
You need to figure out how to incorporate it into the fuel injection system, I'd suggest trying to adapt it so that the throttle body is before the blower and the intake manifold is after it.

Then you need to figure out how you will prevent the engine from pinging under boost (very, very bad thing).
Are you going to do that with octane, ignition, or mixture? Maybe a combination of all three.

Lots of work, lots of questions, lots of research. There is a reason we don't have supercharged 914s running all over the place, it isn't something everyone can or should do.
If you think you can just hook it on and go you are mistaken.

Now, if you do your homeowrk and really try to do this right, I (and others) will be here to help you along the way.
If you try to cut corners and just slap something together or guess at it insteead of doing it right, I don't want to play.

sorry for the downer attitude but you need a shot of reality at the beginning. Sometimes the most sucessful projects are the ones you decide not to pursue.

maf914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 2 2006, 06:05 AM) *

Maybe you can run it from the stock 76 smog pump pully?

I also thought of this, but I don't think the drive mechanism for the smog pump would be sturdy enough to drive a supercharger. The drive pulley was connected to a shaft that bolted to the inner face of the fan. The shaft ran through a bushing located in a tripod-like bracket that bolted to the outide of the fan housing. Neither the shaft or the busing bracket were especially heavy duty. A rubber v-belt then drove the air pump. The pump was fairly small and probably wasn't much of a load. I think the configuration could work, but the parts would have to be redesigned for a heavier load. idea.gif
Joe Bob
You CAN'T SUPERCHARGE a 914. piratenanner.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 2 2006, 09:59 AM) *

The drive pulley was connected to a shaft that bolted to the inner face of the fan.

IIRC, it was connected through a rubber anti-vibration section of the pulley. And that rubber loved to break, rendering the pulley useless...

That particular pulley would also put the supercharger's pulley way forward against the firewall. That could cause packaging problems.

The AC pulley location (behind the fan) would allow a little more leeway in positioning the charger. You'd probably still have to chop up the engine tin to fit it, and probably the side location that the AC compressor used would be the easiest.

Pretty tough to fit a charger with a decent-sized pulley, though.

--DD
JeffBowlsby
Here is one install...
fast914
The picture above is for one of the engines for my 914. It uses the Scat heads, 2.5L I believe... Haven't done much with it, it'll be next on my list once the 2056 engine is complete.
The engine in the picture does not have a provision for an alternator, so I will endup running one off of the axle.
jd74914
I posted these in the other thread but . . .
turboman808
Dam just use a turbo. Superchargers are a pain in the ass and not as impressive. Lots of extra work for a slower car.

Last I looked a t3 with ballbearing was running around $1000. Haltech, intercooler and a boost controler and your set. Minus the tuning which I leave to the professionals.
JPB
There is alot more involved than just bolting one of these puppies on bro. You will run into many issues like your fuel mixture, carb or FI, cam grind issues, belt issues "many now have flat toothed kind", and the list goes on and on. If you just wanna hear some cool engine noises and see what might fly out of the engine bay, GOFORIT!

beer.gif You ain't the first and won't be the last at it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.