Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Tamiya RC question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
does anybody know for sure if I could use a Tamiya TEU-101 BK electronic speed control for the standard motor that comes with the Tamiya M-02L chassis (like the Porsche Boxster and 911 kits)?

I've read something about "turns" and such things and have no idea about the meaning confused24.gif

maybe someone could explain it to me idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
sj914
It's been awhile since I've been into RC cars. From what I can find on Tamiya's site, that speed control will work fine for the stock motor of the M-02L.

Pretty much the turns of the motor has to do with the amount of winds in the armature of the motor. The more turns the more torque, the less turns the more RPM's, but you sacrifice torque and you burn up your batteries quicker. I maybe wrong though it's been about 10 years.
MattR
Turns refers to the number of winds in the motor. A lower number of winds will typically be faster (very general rule of thumb). I like 19 turn motors. They have good battery life, lots of punch, are readily available, and not too expensive. You do have to make sure your speed controller will handle the number of winds though. Typically a cheaper speed control will handle a minimum number of winds (so, say, 27 turns and up). Most should be able to handle a 19t, so look for one thats at least 19. Novak makes some really good units for not much.
Demick
The motor that comes in the box with your Tamiya car will be a very low power, slow motor. Most likely a Maubishi sealed motor.

The Tamiya ESC you are talking about will handle it just fine. It should also handle any 'stock' motor you might use. I can almost guarantee you will fry the ESC if you go with anything beyond stock - like the 19T that Matt is suggesting. But don't worry, 19T motors today are VERY fast motors - and unless you have a fair amount of experience driving RC cars, you won't want one of those unless you are looking to destroy your 914 body in short order.

Demick
maf914
I'm not into RC, but this talk of turns and winds reminds me of my old slot car days. We used to rewind our stock motors using larger wire and fewer turns, paint the windings with a little epoxy, balance the armature, etc. Cool stuff! laugh.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Demick @ Aug 2 2006, 04:43 PM) *

But don't worry, 19T motors today are VERY fast motors - and unless you have a fair amount of experience driving RC cars, you won't want one of those unless you are looking to destroy your 914 body in short order.

I definitely won't race my extra nice 914 shell that I bought from David:

IPB Image

I still have 2 spare 914 shells (unpainted) and a not so nice 911 shell - something like a training shell biggrin.gif

@ all - many thanks for your helpful comments pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Sammy
Speed controller will work, much better than a standard reostat unit.
Prolly a sealed motor stock, be careful you don't stick an allen wrench through the armature and put an old gear on the shaft and put pliars on the old gear and tweek the timing of the stock motor. Don't put your batteries in an ice chest while charging, don't trip down your carbon brushes, that would be cheating wink.gif
I used to run a 962 bodied RC-10 on an indoor carpetted road race circuit in Seal beach.
I bet I had $1000 worth of spare parts for that car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.