Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Flat towing a bus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
I bought the bus and it's in Iowa.

So I'm thinking of flat towing it home and was wondering if anyone has and where did they hook up the tow bar to it?

My car trailer is in use or I'd take that.

Planning on leaving here Friday back home late Sat

Bus front and route down
URY914
The front bumper should have some brackets you could hook up to. Remove the bumper and have a look. Or go on Samba.com and do a search.

Is this going to get a mid V-8?
rick 918-S
Check with U-haul. they should have a tow bar for it. Or you may have to remove the bumper. Nice score. Call if your close on the retrun trip and need help or want to BS. I'll pm my cell.
GWN7
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 2 2006, 07:50 AM) *

The front bumper should have some brackets you could hook up to. Remove the bumper and have a look. Or go on Samba.com and do a search.

Is this going to get a mid V-8?

The V8 is planned for next year. My son needs to fix his ZR2 truck. So he's going to drive the bus for a couple months while we replace the box side and get the frame straightened. He's going to have to leave earlier for work while driving a 68 hp bus than he's used to with 190 hp in the truck. biggrin.gif
GWN7
Just a update note, buses require a special tow bar that attaches to the front axel. Using the mounting points for the bumpers is a bad idea ($2500 damage bad). sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Oct 12 2006, 06:11 PM) *

Just a update note, buses require a special tow bar that attaches to the front axel. Using the mounting points for the bumpers is a bad idea ($2500 damage bad). sad.gif

You might need to know a bug tow bar will NOT fit a bus, and I agree, the bumper brackets won't take any kind of load. Not the bumper, either. Think of the bumper as a decorative device .............. My advice, and I've done a LOT of towing over the years, is to rent a tow dolly. Makes the whole thing a piece'o cake.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
Come on,,, lets see it. How bad is it?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
GWN7
ok..........bolt ripped out of frame and bus hit my truck twice...once when the bolt broke and second time when the safety chain worked.....
GWN7
then shortly after I got back on the road the rear tire shreaded causing damage to the rear wheel well....most likly from running over the glass from the front lens
GWN7
$1500 damage to the truck....I get to pay two deductables ($700- $500 for the bus & $200 for the truck)
KELTY360
Hitting one of your cars with another one really bites. Kinda like slamming your fingers in a door while trying to pull a tooth. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.