Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil light comes when slowing down to a stop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vincesix
So i am out wearing in the new centerforce clutch last night and I roll to a stop and the idiot light for oil comes on. engine temps is 180 and i have been driving for 15 minutes. the oil preasure reads 15 lbs. if i hold the rev's up a bit the light gos out. happened every time once oil temp was 180. I have a front trunk mounted peterson oil tank and that thing is full. I am still in the first 500 miles with the 2.7 - 6 and dont want to ruin it now. what could be going on and is this a big deal? :driving:
Brando
15lbs is ~1 bar. Only technical spec I have handy says 4bar at 5500 RPMs with oel temp at 80ÂșC
Aaron Cox
rule of thumb is 1 bar per 1000rpm...

what weight are you using? maybe thinning out too much? (doubtful)
replace the sender and verify that it works right.....

LvSteveH
It's not unusual for the light to come on at idle when warm, as long as you have 10psi or better, it's not a big deal. I've seen cars run for a long time holding only 5psi at warm idle. The only thing odd about your case is that 180 degrees isn't all that hot.
vincesix
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 2 2006, 10:48 AM) *

rule of thumb is 1 bar per 1000rpm...

what weight are you using? maybe thinning out too much? (doubtful)
replace the sender and verify that it works right.....

20w - 50 w, sender check out good a while back.
John
How low is your idle?

Turn up the idle to 850-1000 RPM and see if the light still lights at idle.

Is this a new (to you) engine? Did it use to do that? 15psi seems low for a fresh engine, but not one with some miles on it.

vincesix
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Aug 2 2006, 11:58 AM) *

How low is your idle?

Turn up the idle to 850-1000 RPM and see if the light still lights at idle.

Is this a new (to you) engine? Did it use to do that? 15psi seems low for a fresh engine, but not one with some miles on it.

I am still using the 914 - 4 light. could it be calibrated to come on at 15 lbs. what is stock calibration for 73 1.7. oil preasure is 15 - 18 lbs @ 700 rpm with a oil temp of 180. I have 60 lbs @ 3k and 90 lbs @ 5500. engine is new rebuild. crank, case, rods, oil pump ect all check and reworked by ollies in santa anna. ca.
Dave_Darling
The ilght is just a light--give it power on one side and ground on the other, and it comes on. The sender for the light is what provides the ground; the key provides the power.

Re-check the sender. Sounds like it's a bad one. Stock -4 senders (not sure if they fit in a Six engine or not) are set to come on at something like 3 PSI. Not sure about the Six senders; try poking around on 911 tech sites for info on that.

15-18 PSI @ 700 RPM sounds fine to me! Not sure about on a "fresh" engine, but for an "average" one it is great. 20 PSI per 1000 RPM sounds great as well.

--DD
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
OK , yesterday 95 degrees out side, I took a 45 min. ride, 1/2 normal driving slow,1/2 agressive. Royal Purple 20 w 50, oil pressure at idle was 10lbs,oil temp was 220. Is that 10 lbs at idle anything to worry about. Dave
Brando
Vince, I totally didn't notice who you were until now...

How is that six workin for ya? Other than the oil light coming on. I hear one of my co-workers had a racing stripe in his undies after he went for a ride with ya laugh.gif

PM't, by the way.
John
You never mentioned what your idle speed is when the light comes on. is it really low like 500 RPMs?

On a 1973 911S (2.4), that I worked on (until I moved away), the oil pressure light would flicker once I got the car hot (220 degrees), but that car had a very low idle 650-700 RPM (and the owner wanted to keep it that way).

The gauge would still register pressure, but the light would simply flicker at idle and would go out as soon as the revs were brought up.

Like Dave said, you may want to check the idiot light switch, but as long as your gauge is reading 15-18 PSI, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.