Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 07 - NorCal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I have no details. I will be recruiting people to help as soon as a location and a date are finalized. If you want in on the planning forum, let me know.

I didn't want to announce anything until I had a solid location, in case for some reason I can't find anything suitable.
nebreitling
thumb3d.gif
Bleyseng
Great! agree.gif
Elliot_Cannon
No. Cal. sounds good to me. Plan it around Parts Heaven swap meat maybe. If it's in the wine counry, my wife will be there before I am.
Elliot
jgara962
Let me know if I can help.
MartyYeoman
I'd go.
racerx9146
I am in Sacramento but if there is anyway i an help I will.
John
carreraguy
Mark:
I'll be glad to help too.
Later,
fiid
I'm happy to help and be in on the planning...

Fiid.
ppickerell
Count me in for help on setting this event up. I can offer up my shop as a meeting place, I can laser cut and mark some plaques. I can even host a carbecue at my house or shop in Pleasanton.
Jenny
Mark, I'll help out as much as I can. I've got your normal 9-5 job, except it's 8:15-5, so anything that falls outside of that, definately count me in. I could be an unofficial WCC 07 cheer.gif

Jen
Chris Pincetich
Sweet! I think I can go if it is local. Should it be 1 whole week long? Maybe it will overlap/coincide with the maybe second annual NorCal 914 track day maybe in conjunction with trackmasters? I can call ahead to EASY and make sure they order extra donuts and coffee for Saturday morning...oh yeah, EASY is usually only open the 1st and 3rd Saturday mornings of the month. Although HPH might actually have 2-3 times as much 914 extras as any place I have ever witnessed, and I'm sure Rich wouldn't mind stayin past 1pm on a Saturday for lots of customers...he might even want to get involved and we can crash his parking lot with BBQs on trailers. beerchug.gif av-943.gif
Jenny
Rich was involved with WCC 04. Even took his silver 2.0 to 3monstercom for the AX.
Root_Werks
I'd do a NoCal event. 8 hour drive isn't that bad. driving.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Jenny @ Aug 2 2006, 01:47 PM) *

Rich was involved with WCC 04. Even took his silver 2.0 to 3monstercom for the AX.

You mean "this guy"??

Driving that back road I got to do my best Gandalf "Thou shall not pass!"
Andyrew
Im here to help! Especially track stuff...

Andrew

Cough *buttonwillow, thunderhill*
neo914-6
Tie it in with the Vintage Race at Laguna Seca that we attended!
spare time toys
You know I could probably talk the boss lady into coming out for the wine country KMA.gif smiley_notworthy.gif and more KMA.gif
dekman
I've done Laguna Seca with Trackmasters.....Nice group of guys! (As long as we are not grouped with the "Radicals"....there too fast.) And as long as we include a track day....I'm in! beerchug.gif
Trekkor
Yes, get me on the planning crew! boldblue.gif

Between RR, LPR and GGR PCA regions, an a/x should be easy.

A track day at Thunderhill would be a better idea than Sears or Laguna.
Figure on $240 for a track day with lunch included.

Sears is pretty dangerous ( and very expensive ) and Laguna is *impossible* to rent during the summer.

Indoor karting could be amazing. We could rent the whole place and have a wing-ding.

I would love to do a Berryessa run and a mega BBQ in Napa.

KT
ppickerell
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 2 2006, 07:06 PM) *

Sears is pretty dangerous ( and very expensive ) and Laguna is *impossible* to rent during the summer.

Indoor karting could be amazing. We could rent the whole place and have a wing-ding.

KT

The man knows what he is talkin about aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
ppickerell
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Aug 2 2006, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 2 2006, 07:06 PM) *

KT

Will 914 people pony up $240 for a track day on top of a wine country lodging bill? Burlingame karting would be big fun and inexpensive. Spouses could get involved too and that helps nailing this for married geeks.

The man knows what he is talkin about aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

anthony
In the other topic Nathan said that Karting at Infineon would be prohibitively expensive. They offer a "Techniques of Karting" course lots of times every month. I don't see how piggy-backing on one of those events or maybe them doing a session just for us would be cost prohibitive. Anyway, just an idea.
dekman
Mark, I'm not sure why the other site was closed? Seemed like there was some good open discussion/idea's going on. Who picked the site for WCC 2007? Did I miss the voting? Anyway..... in WCC 2004, Howard got a package deal with Streets of Willow included(ie. no track fees). This may not be possible at Sears, Laguna, or Thunderhill but it could be offered separately(track day option). If we scheduled our event with Trackmasters for example, we could have our own run group and it would be much cheaper! My 2 cents............. boldblue.gif
boxstr
When do we leave, and how much are the track fees.
Jim we will pick you up on the way down through Ashland.
Okay lets get the caravan ready. Who wants to lead and whos bringing up the rear??
CCLINWCC07
RoadGlue
Mark, you know I'm in. Oh, you know it!
McMark
QUOTE(dekman @ Aug 2 2006, 09:27 PM) *

Mark, I'm not sure why the other site was closed? Seemed like there was some good open discussion/idea's going on. Who picked the site for WCC 2007? Did I miss the voting?

There has never been voting and there probably never will. confused24.gif If you must, you can vote with your dollars, I suppose.

Lots of great ideas in here. I have most of the event roughed in. (no I'm not sharing info yet). You'll know more when I get confirmation on the details.
Trekkor
Looking foward to hearing more.

KT
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 2 2006, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(dekman @ Aug 2 2006, 09:27 PM) *

Mark, I'm not sure why the other site was closed? Seemed like there was some good open discussion/idea's going on. Who picked the site for WCC 2007? Did I miss the voting?

There has never been voting and there probably never will. confused24.gif If you must, you can vote with your dollars, I suppose.

Lots of great ideas in here. I have most of the event roughed in. (no I'm not sharing info yet). You'll know more when I get confirmation on the details.

Mark,

I will help.

bernbomb914
why cant there be general consences about where these meets are to held? I would think that the opinion of the members would be important and should be considered. Mc Mark should be comemded for his endevors but other opinions are important.

Bernie
drew365
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Aug 2 2006, 11:40 PM) *

why cant there be general consences about where these meets are to held? I would think that the opinion of the members would be important and should be considered. Mc Mark should be comemded for his endevors but other opinions are important.

Bernie

The people giving opinions aren't always the ones stepping up to organize. As long as it's centrally located to a large number of nonmembers the location isn't the most important aspect, it's what the organizers put together to make it attractive. An event like the WCC can only happen if a small group takes responsibility and is given the freedom to make the decisions.
jgara962
QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 3 2006, 07:53 AM) *

Bernie

The people giving opinions aren't always the ones stepping up to organize. As long as it's centrally located to a large number of nonmembers the location isn't the most important aspect, it's what the organizers put together to make it attractive. An event like the WCC can only happen if a small group takes responsibility and is given the freedom to make the decisions.

agree.gif
URY914
Count us in as coming out next year. Wife says it a good excuse for a family vacation. I get to play w/ 914's and she and my daughter get to shop in stores they've never been to. It's a win-win. We also have friends in the SF and Carmel.

Go decision guys, thanks thumb3d.gif

Bleyseng
There was lots of talk/Bsing at WCC06 about where the next one will be...

it all comes down to who steps up to organize the event IMHO.
Way to go Mark!

Lots of families will want to attend this one as a vacation as there is soo much to do.
GTeener
A Napa WCC would be fun clap56.gif Good idea!

I can probably help some too.
Crazyhippy
Just a thought, but an all 914 run group might end up as trouble. There will be new drivers in stock Smog equipped 1.8's and fast guys w/ 3+Liter 6's... The speed diferential WILL be Gi-normous (new word, look it up)

Granted we are talking about DE, so it is NOT a race, but would you like to be a new driver doing 60 in the midst of the front straight @ Laguna when Someone goes By @ 120?? How about going the other way, and getting stuck behind a new driver through the turn 2 complex.. Dont want to pass a new driver w/o a point by, and it's a LONG time to wait for that point...

Just a consideration. As cool as an all 914 run group would be, i dont see it being very practical.

BJH
GTeener
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Aug 3 2006, 12:50 PM) *

Just a thought, but an all 914 run group might end up as trouble. There will be new drivers in stock Smog equipped 1.8's and fast guys w/ 3+Liter 6's... The speed diferential WILL be Gi-normous (new word, look it up)

Granted we are talking about DE, so it is NOT a race, but would you like to be a new driver doing 60 in the midst of the front straight @ Laguna when Someone goes By @ 120?? How about going the other way, and getting stuck behind a new driver through the turn 2 complex.. Dont want to pass a new driver w/o a point by, and it's a LONG time to wait for that point...

Just a consideration. As cool as an all 914 run group would be, i dont see it being very practical.

BJH

It's no different than any of the other DE events as far as speed differentials. Only this time it would be all one body style burnout.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Aug 3 2006, 08:52 AM) *

it all comes down to who steps up to organize the event IMHO.
Way to go Mark!

I agree. I would LOVE it to be in Vegas or So Cal. Either one is a blast and much closer. That being said...I don't want it bad enough to jump in and plan it. The extra drive time is nothing compared to what these guys will put in planning one of these things! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Aug 3 2006, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(drew365 @ Aug 3 2006, 07:53 AM) *

Bernie

agree.gif

agree.gif
GTeener
Whichever venue has the coolest whether, works for me and my 914 biggrin.gif

...and the best driving opportunities driving-girl.gif
anthony
It will probably be in So Cal the year after. Isn't Vegas already pretty close to the RRC?

ppickerell
Not elitist, but Norcal has a lot to offer to make it easier for members to turn it into family vacations. Vegas for me would most certainly involve bail money issues. Wine country is a definite lure. Indoor karting is cheap compared to track. Go Mark Go! Do I lose the ability to vote because I didn't drag my ass up to the land of the wet one?
grantsfo
Put it in Santa Cruz and you will have a person that will help organize. I'm a good sponsor solicitor too.
jimtab
Mark....I trust you baby...and I'll be glad to help any way I can...not too tech savy but I was a salesman for 30 years....need something sold? Or bought?
Let me know, I know some great coastal twisties and places for posing, drinking, or eating ....or all of the above. If we have enough free divers in the group we could have an abalone feed on the north coast and wine from the wine country....it's all doable.
Andyrew
As far as different cars for the track..

People run in different run groups. Lots of options there. Lots of ways to separate the fast vs the slow drivers.

Indoor track would be awesome!!! But we have to drive our 914's on the track too... at least autox (914 club only..)
kenschipper
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 2 2006, 12:25 PM) *

I have no details. I will be recruiting people to help as soon as a location and a date are finalized. If you want in on the planning forum, let me know.

I didn't want to announce anything until I had a solid location, in case for some reason I can't find anything suitable.

Mark,

I'd be glad to help in any way possible.

One option to consider are the pre-historics which occur at Laguna Seca the weekend before the Historics. Most entries in the historics come down this weekend for testing and setup. Just as much fun to watch and no entrance fee. Pit area passes are a little difficult but the company I work for does all the heavy construction and paving at Laguna so I may be able to talk to the right person for this if there is an interest.

Another interesting side trip would be to Canepa Design. Bruce Canepa has a museum and restoration center in Scotts Valley. He raced 934's and 935's in the early years and has an original 914-6 GT in his collection along with 917, 962, 935, and on and on. Has converted about 30 959 to street legal in US. Listened to a presentation by him at Laguna Seca this last year (brought his 917 and 935) and he has some great stories to share. Truely a seat of the pants expert on Porshe racing.

He has done special presentations to the PCA group in the past and it would be great to see if we could work out something with him. You could easily spend a full day at the museum and shop and still have more to see. You can see his web site at http://www.canepa.com/

My wife owns a marketing and design firm (lots of web stuff) and we could create and put up a site for the year with lots of photos, video, entry forms, ongoing news whatever at no cost. Let me know if there is any way we can help.

Ken & Kathy Schipper
ConeDodger
QUOTE(kenschipper @ Aug 4 2006, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 2 2006, 12:25 PM) *

Mark,

I'd be glad to help in any way possible.

One option to consider are the pre-historics which occur at Laguna Seca the weekend before the Historics. Most entries in the historics come down this weekend for testing and setup. Just as much fun to watch and no entrance fee. Pit area passes are a little difficult but the company I work for does all the heavy construction and paving at Laguna so I may be able to talk to the right person for this if there is an interest.

Another interesting side trip would be to Canepa Design. Bruce Canepa has a museum and restoration center in Scotts Valley. He raced 934's and 935's in the early years and has an original 914-6 GT in his collection along with 917, 962, 935, and on and on. Has converted about 30 959 to street legal in US. Listened to a presentation by him at Laguna Seca this last year (brought his 917 and 935) and he has some great stories to share. Truely a seat of the pants expert on Porshe racing.

He has done special presentations to the PCA group in the past and it would be great to see if we could work out something with him. You could easily spend a full day at the museum and shop and still have more to see. You can see his web site at http://www.canepa.com/

My wife owns a marketing and design firm (lots of web stuff) and we could create and put up a site for the year with lots of photos, video, entry forms, ongoing news whatever at no cost. Let me know if there is any way we can help.

Ken & Kathy Schipper

Bruce Canepa's 914-6GT is the Lufthansa car. He is a very personable guy. Spent an hour chatting with friends of mine at Wine Country Classics this year. That would be a very good tour.

The possibilities for driving tours are almost endless. The simplest being a trip up to Berryessa and back through wine country.

The closest autocross venue would probably be Charles Schultz Sonoma County Airport and could probably be coordinated with RR-PCA.

Trackmasters uses Thunderhill more than Infinion and if I know Doug Gale his schedule for next year is already set so we would have to fit his schedule in order to have track time with his group. Other groups exist though.

Should be a lot of fun...

Bleyseng
I'll say it as I have put on big events before.

Remember guys, the hardest part of putting on an event is the hard Cash it takes to reserve space or slots to do stuff. 914club still has squat in cash last time I heard...so help to pony up so fun stuff can be done. You will get paid back or if you are a business get lots of advertising.

Some day we have to make this club pay for it self. Putting on events and then donating any profit is great but then we still have no cash for the next one. We need a reserve fund to do stuff. Brad voiced this, the responses were interesting.

I say small yearly dues.

popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.