Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Light Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Just finished with my 5 lug swap and M/C replacement.

Went to pick up the car from the alignment shop and noticed that the brake lights stay on all the time.

Any thoughts?
So.Cal.914
Adjust your brake light switch(under pedal board).
TROJANMAN
there should be a reset switch on the MC
Found IT smile.gif
Gint posted the link to some pics at the end of the thread
So.Cal.914
The reset switch would not keep the brakelights on.
Allan
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 2 2006, 05:48 PM) *

there should be a reset switch on the MC
i just did a quick search, and couldn't find it, but there is an 'early' thread out there that shows how to reset it without crawling underneath the car

I thought the m/c reset was just for the light in the dash?

Does it also affect the tails?
TROJANMAN
sorry, i thought you were referring to the dash light
not sure about the tail. is the pedal coming all the way back?

also, inside the pedal assembly, which would have been removed to replace the M/C, there is a little metal piece that actuates the lights. sometimes it gets a little tweeked, and ends up on the wrong side of the little pole thingy (not sure the proper term smile.gif )
SLITS
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 2 2006, 06:01 PM) *

and ends up on the wrong side of the little pole thingy (not sure the proper term smile.gif )

He's a turkey....not a pole.
Allan

also, inside the pedal assembly, which would have been removed to replace the M/C,

I didn't pull the pedal assembly to swap the m/c. confused24.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 2 2006, 06:55 PM) *

also, inside the pedal assembly, which would have been removed to replace the M/C,

sorry, i thought you had to loosen it on top to remove the M/C.
anyway, the little pole thing from the assembly is what presses into the M/C
and the actuator is on the pole

Allan
I'll pull the pedal board tomorrow and check out the switch...
So.Cal.914
When I put my 19mm M/C in my 72 I had to adjust the brake light switch. When

you pull the M/C it does release the brake pedal and it can sneak past the actuator

on the switch, CHECK IT.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 2 2006, 07:55 PM) *

Allan, been a LONG time since I messed with a stock pedal setup... the "bar" that goes into the master that the pedal pushes on - is that adjustable? I would think so... maybe that needs adjusted longer to allow the pedal to fully return confused24.gif I can't remember, but it doesn't take much pedal motion to activate the switch for the lights.

Or maybe the switch just "went" and internally grounded and you just now noticed it - though that is unlikely.
SLITS
Clueless av-943.gif You wear pink too!

Anyway...since you replaced the MC, see if the brake lights go out if you pull back on the pedal. If they go out, your microswitch set screw is out of adjustment or the return spring on the pedal assembly is broken.
TROJANMAN
this is a pic of the little actuator that slips past the pole tab

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Give that Trojan a see-gar! smoke.gif

The "obvious" way to arrange the switch and the big washer that pushes on it is the wrong way. The switch is spring-loaded so that the lights come on, when the brake pedal comes back it pulls the lever on the switch to turn out the lights.

As for terminology: The thing that presses on the master cylinder piston (and the part that has the washer on it) is called the "brake pedal pushrod" or "brake pushrod".

--DD
Allan
smilie_pokal.gif THANKS GUYS!!!!

Pulled the pedal board and found that the lever for the switch was bent and had come off of the washer.

Werks Gud now.

I also found out that I don't have a throttle pedal stop on the pedal board though... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.