Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about phosphoric acid for the purposes of rust removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Hopefully we have some chemistry experts here..

I'm using Jasco Metal Etch to dissolve rust. It's phosphoric acid of unknown strength, and some sort of soapyness so it cleans too. The instructions say to dilute it with water. I've been working with the assumption that using it at full strength will give better/faster results. Am I right or am I just wasting metal etch? (It isn't THAT expensive, about $10 a gallon)
Brando
Jasco? I used to pour that stuff on non-diluted all day. Just don't get any on your hands... the stench is barf.gif
TonyAKAVW
I've tried both diluted and non-diluted. I found that without any water at all it didn't do much. After adding some water (less than they reccomend) it worked well. Maybe this was a fluke, but that was my experience.

-Tony
bondo
Hmm. One thing I have noticed is it only works when wet, and seems to dry pretty fast. I've started misting water on it after I've sprayed full strength on, and it seemed to help. That's what made me wonder if I should just start with it diluted.
mihai914
Could be like Isopropylic Alcohol (rubbing alcohol), if it's 99% pure it won't be a disinfectant, if you change the mix 70/30 with water then it becomes a disinfectant. The acid may need the oxygen or hydrogen from the water to react and do it's job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.