Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 questions ok 4 I can't count
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chogokin
1st question, Who wants to steal my teener to keep it from being pushed over a cliff? fighting19.gif
2nd question, Why the hell isn't #4 firing?? I'm getting good spark to a good plug? And it was running GREAT last week?? Are my valves THAT far off?? What else would cause this?? confused24.gif
Allan
Try pulling the injector and put it in a jar and see if it's spraying fuel.
Chogokin
sorry ...background... it has dual 40's sync'd and just right
yeahmag
Pull the idle jet and see if it's clogged...

-Aaron
wertygrog
EDIT: OK you have carbs.....valves shouldn't cause that, in normal circumstances. If you haven't tinkered with timing or anything, its probably fuel delivery, so check your carbs (venturi, jets, accel pump) for debris or other screw-uppage...that's as far as I can get you! tongue.gif

Brent
Chogokin
just checked the idle jet, its fine. These are 4 month carbs right off of the factory's test engine. Fuel delivery is from a high flow low pressure carter pump with pressure regulator in line at a constant 2.5lbs. If valves couldn't cause this and I'm getting good air and spark what else could it be? I checked the compression in it 2 weeks ago and all 4 were popping at about 150?? I have a good solid vacuum signature?? OK now I'm really lost... Any takers on stealing it???
elwood-914
I'd steal it but that's way to far to push the damn thing.....and besides I have to push my own.. poke.gif
wertygrog
well you could try the old spray carb cleaner in the cylinder and see if it fires....that would isolate a fuel delivery problem....are you SURE it's not running?
So.Cal.914
Valves could cause it, a tight valve will drop your compression. Did you check the main jet, It's happened to mine.
Chogokin
well, here is the background as to why I was poking around in there. Like I said last week she was running great, she is my daily driver. I have been having a bit of trouble with her transition from idle to WOT, but very minor as of late. I didn't drive her at all this weekend, and on monday when I got in her to go to work the transition was horrible, worse than it has ever been. After 3 days I finally got a chance to look in there to see what has changed if anything. All of my settings are the same, no screws turned out or anything so I started pulling plug wires with her running. All of them have a fall off except #4, when I pull that wire there is no change. I pulled the plug, and it looked ok, a little sooty like all of them from running rich, went ahead and cleaned it because it too is new and tried it again. Still no fire... Fouled plug?? Don't think so but maybe... it is a plat
SLITS
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 2 2006, 07:03 PM) *

Valves could cause it, a tight valve will drop your compression. Did you check the main jet, It's happened to mine.

agree.gif Fixed one car by just adjusting the valves...they were to tight.
Joe Ricard
Did you hear me?
I was standing out back facing east.
I said ...... " Your fucking idle jet is plugged Blow it out again". and while you are there pull the mixture screw. Spray carb cleaner in the jet hole and observe crap coming out mixture screw hole and progression holes in the side of the carb above the throttle plate.

Put it back together and see if it fires. You are making spark if the plug is dry. but not delivering gas.
Chogokin
thats what I've been leaning towards, when I first got the car a year and half ago the valves were WAY out of adjustment, I knew nothing about working on it so took it to a VW shop and they adjusted it. Maybe they did a stromberg.gif ty job, that could explain my transition trouble through 3 different sets of carbs... now that I have a garage I can put it up and check it out.
Chogokin
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 2 2006, 09:15 PM) *

Did you hear me?
I was standing out back facing east.
I said ...... " Your fucking idle jet is plugged Blow it out again". and while you are there pull the mixture screw. Spray carb cleaner in the jet hole and observe crap coming out mixture screw hole and progression holes in the side of the carb above the throttle plate.

Put it back together and see if it fires. You are making spark if the plug is dry. but not delivering gas.

DONE THAT!!!! I was just %$^&@ing in there pulling all the jets and screws out, they are CLEAN!!! My adjustments may be way off but everything in there is squeaky clean with NO clogs!!
Joe Ricard
Well you may have it fixed by the time the 13th of August rolls around.
You going to be in town? can you get it to Barry's house?

Or I am free this Friday and Sunday if I skip the Night Autocross Saturday night. (have I mentioned I like to autocross?)

How bad do you want it fixed?

I also can't remember if you said you put new intake gaskets in.
Brian_Boss
If you're sure you have a good spark, then do a compression check and swap the carbs side to side (whichever is easier for you, try first).
Chogokin
I'll be in town on the 13th, I actually just bought a house around the corner from Barry's, unfortunately I have to have that house fixed up and be moved out of this house by the 14th so long story short I'm gonna be WAY WAY busy. Plus some Navy $#!t going down for me at the absolutely WRONG time. It would be great to have some help on this thing, but life is kinda upside down right now that's why I have not asked for help yet. Thanks though... sad.gif I'll manage until I can con you back this way for some help.
Joe Ricard
I'm pretty "con-able"
It will only take me an our to get your car running. maybe longer if beer is involved.
Chogokin
I'll supply all the beer you can drink, and a cool engraved dash facing if you want it... I'll make the glove box say something cool like Redneck Racer... like the one I made for Barry. I'll let you know when I have a free minute on the horizon.
Chogokin
OK now this has taken another weird turn.... driving into work this morning she was still running like stromberg.gif when about 3 miles into my trip at a stop light POOF she started running good again. Back to my minor transition problem but back up to full power? huh.gif WTF.gif I think my teener hates me... lol
Joe Ricard
Hmm. sounds so familiar it's almost comical.
I have had this happen several times. The dirt clod cleared it's self from the idle jet circuit.

Yes the jet was clean but something was in the circuit probably laying up against the progression ports. Usually enters through idle air correction jet in the top of the carb body. I added "jet doctors" to mine and it seems to have made a difference. Also got better sealing air filters
Chogokin
I think I'll try that, I'm also gonna change out the filter while I'm at it. Maybe I knocked some crud loose in the carb last night in the dark playing with those jets that blew out halfway up the road? I think I'll blow out all of the jets after I change out the filter just to be on the safe side. If that takes care of it long term I'll hit you with a bigo YOU WERE RIGHT, I'M NOT WORTHY smiley_notworthy.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Aug 2 2006, 07:44 PM) *

I'll make the glove box say something cool like Redneck Racer...

Make it say "Butt Nugget"... biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
How about "Butt Nugget Racing" I need a new sponsor. NARP Racing leaves them asking what the hell is that?
Chogokin
av-943.gif I think I'll make a new one for mine that says POOR-SCHE biggrin.gif
Toast
How dirty is the air (or just the area) you live in? I live in a pretty dusty area with crappy air. I know it's not the same engine, but when I had dual 40's in my baha bug, I had to clean the venturies and jets and spray carb cleaner in the carbs WEEKLY! dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.