Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding a 3.2 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Richard Casto
I am planning on putting a 3.2 (maybe 3.0) in my car. I have been casually looking around for a few months. Not ready to buy just yet, but I want to be in the hunt when I am ready to make the move. So I am looking for guidance on how to do this.

I have been pursing eBay Motors, Samba and occasionally Porsche dismantlers such as German Auto Dismantlers and dC Automotive. I have also been watching the eBay auction prices a bit and it seems that you can’t find a working 3.2 for less than $4K unless there seems to be something risky about the engine (not much info, sold as is, etc.). And sometimes people ask what looks to be insane prices (no bids). I am also not sure about the core charge issue as some places have one an others seem to not.

So I would appreciate any help on this. Mostly tips, tricks, where to look, stories on how your search went, etc. Any dismantlers that you would recommend or recommend that I stay away from? Are there any hidden sources that I don't know about (such as insurance auctions of complete wrecked 911s?) What works best and how can I find a good deal? Share your secrets. smile.gif
MoveQik
Search everywhere. Tell everyone that you know that you are looking.

$4k would be a screaming deal right now. I paid just under $6k for mine a few months back. Motor seems to be pretty solid with good leakdown numbers but it did come with the wrong damn harness(Euro vs US) headbang.gif

Just talked to Rich Johnson today and he said the same thing...3.2's are really hard to find right now. You better be ready to buy when you find it, too. I had three guys in line behind me as back up offers on the one that I purchased. My motor was sourced on Pelican.
TROJANMAN
i just found a wrecked 911 with 50k miles, but i think he wants too much to be able to part it out. sad.gif
jdogg
Richard-

It is easy...find Patrice a cheap 3.6, then buy his 3.2....
LvSteveH
The best advice I can offer is not to hesitate when you find what appears to be a good deal. If you want a deal, there will always be some risk involved, and there will always be lots of competition to buy at less than the normal market price. Keep in mind that there is substantial risk involved with purchasing any "pre-enjoyed" motor, inspected or not.

If a motor has no history and no tests to confirm condition, you may be able get a good price break, but you may also end up doing a full rebuild. If you need to know for certain that you have a solid, good running motor with a know history and good test results, you'll have to pay retail, and the peace of mind may well be worth it if you aren't in a position to deal with potential issues.

On motors I've purchased, I've run about 50/50 on condition. Half have been great, and half have had serious problems that required major surgery to correct. All were represented to be completely sound.

On a philosophical note, when bargain shopping for cars and parts, you have to be able to cope with finding unpleasant things that were not disclosed or properly represented without getting too bent out of shape. Sure, it sucks to find something that wasn't what you were hoping for, but you have to go back to that bargain price and remind yourself that you assumed the risk, and move on with life. Unless something was out and out fraud, it's not the end of the world, and someone has to make it right, so it might as well be you. If you are lucky, the bargain price, plus the cost to make it right, will be somewhere around fair market value, and you will now have a known quantity.

Good luck!
kdfoust
The earlier advice about being ready to pull the trigger is sooo true. When I bought my 3.2 (complete from exhaust tip to air box with all the motronic) I pounced and had a number of buyers right behind me. I don't think you'll find a $4k 3.2 in the near future. The pricing on the 3.2 (~$6k +/- complete) has hit the sweet spot for upgrades on the early 70s Porsches which puts them in high demand. You might want to raise your price point if you want to get this done in the next couple of years. smile.gif

Later,
Kevin

Here's one on Pelican now. You'd be fourth in line already... sad.gif
John
If you are SERIOUSLY considering this, then start planning on it NOW.

What I mean is sit down and write out a plan of what EXACTLY you want included with the engine. When I bought mine for my street car (just recently completed), I had my list of items that I wanted included in the engine package and gave the list to the seller.

This way it was documented as far as what exactly I wanted and we negotiated the price.

I wholeheartedly believe in the salvage source for used engines and parts. Most of the engines are clean, the salvage yard is familiar with and has worked on several Porsches and know how to dismantle them without butchering them and usually know what Porsche Parts are.

I have been involved with 3 used engine purchases from Oaklahoma Foreign in Oaklahoma City. All three times I have recieved exactly what we had negotiated. (2) were 3.2 and (1) was a 3.3 Turbo engine. All were in running condition and all had good compression and leak down numbers.

Sometimes you have to wait until they get a car with what you want (my brother had to wait for his), but when you are ready, tell him you are ready and he will find you one.

Gary has been good to me and I recommended him to my brother and he was good to my brother as well. (Your first used engine is the most difficult, but the first time it fires up, it's worth it)

One reason I prefer buying used Porsche Engines from companies is that they usually offer at least a 90 day warranty that it will be in running condition. With an individual, I believe that it is mostly as is, where is. With this kind of investment, I would prefer to have some backup.

When I put my package together, I got the engine-transmission complete, I got all the matching DME and harness, the 915 shifter and linkage, the gauges, the fuel pump, all the fuel lines, the DME relay and Barometric Pressure sensor. I also had them include rear hubs from a pre 1974 car, the stub axles and 911 drive shafts with CV Joints, a pair of coarse splined 915 output shaft flanges (these fit 901 gearboxes).

My whole package was very reasonable considering that it included all the items that I needed. I had them include all the 915 gearbox bits for the future when I convert to a 915/916 transmission. I had them include the coarse splined transmission output flanges to use in my 901 gearbox right now. I am using the 911 CV joints in my car now.

I should have had them provide the 911 front suspension, 911 rear brakes and e-brake parts at the same time, but I hadn't thought that far ahead at the time.......... (That would have made for a hell of a deal and would have been close to one stop shopping)
Richard Casto
QUOTE(jdogg @ Aug 2 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Richard-

It is easy...find Patrice a cheap 3.6, then buy his 3.2....

Jason, Patrice has even sort of hinted at that. smile.gif He already tried to sell me his old 915 transmission. But 915 is on the tail end of the project. Will most likely do a 901 for awhile.
Richard Casto
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Does anyone have a list of sources I should be looking at?

At this point I know of...

Here
Friends (networking/putting the word out)
eBay Motors
Samba
Pelican Boards
German Auto Dismantlers (freqently on eBay)
dC Automotive (actually not far from my physically)
Oklahoma Foreign (edit to fix spelling)

Any others??
John
Sorry, but I have been mis-spelling it.

I caught it while reading your reply.

It's Oklahoma Foreign.

I don't know what I was thinking. Mental Lapse. I guess I'm getting old...

Oklahoma Foreign
Richard Casto
I copy-n-pasted your spelling error. smile.gif
TravisNeff
Get your dad to buy an air cooled 911 and set the seed for a 3.6 conversion. My dad has an 82SC with low miles, he was talking about upgrading that engine and I had been bugging him about a 3.6 swap - I think he's gonna do it. Then I will have an opportunity to get his 3.0
Mueller
I think the 2.7 in the classifieds is a good deal....sure it needs to be put back together, but you'll know it was done right and the experiance would be fun...
John
agree.gif

If I had the cash right now I would buy that 2.7 and assemble it for the unit body that I have.
Mueller
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 11:23 AM) *

agree.gif

If I had the cash right now I would buy that 2.7 and assemble it for the unit body that I have.

i'm fighting the urge to call Bill and make and offer blink.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 3 2006, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Does anyone have a list of sources I should be looking at?

At this point I know of...

Here
Friends (networking/putting the word out)
eBay Motors
Samba
Pelican Boards
German Auto Dismantlers (freqently on eBay)
dC Automotive (actually not far from my physically)
Oklahoma Foreign (edit to fix spelling)

Any others??

20th street auto here in Phoenix.

http://www.20thstreetauto.com/specials/spec27.htm

But bring $$$$,
MoveQik
QUOTE(jasons @ Aug 3 2006, 12:49 PM) *

20th street auto here in Phoenix.

http://www.20thstreetauto.com/specials/spec27.htm

But bring $$$$,

I tried them daily...never did come up with anything. They are usually pretty steep on price too. So like Jason said, bring cash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.