Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: feel that quake?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Quick and steady.

freaky...

KT
Demick
Yep. Just felt it in Pleasanton. Very short - only felt it for about 5 seconds.

Demick
Demick
Magnitude 4.4
Centered near Rohnert Park
r_towle
nope, I got nothing smile.gif
SirAndy
yepp, felt it in oakland ... just a gentle rocking ...

bye1.gif Andy
Trekkor
USGS

Now I won't sleep well tonight. dry.gif

KT
r_towle
QUOTE(OpaAndy @ Aug 2 2006, 11:20 PM) *

yepp, felt it in oakland ... just a gentle rocking ...

bye1.gif Andy

and how far is the Hayward fault from your house...my buddy lives on it..literally on the line...he said the house was cheap because of that...

I guess the line runs along that hill behind the really huge church that is all in lights...

Rich
Demick
When I lived in Union City, I lived about 50 yards off the Hayward Fault. Funny thing is, the records indicated that it was not in a high risk fault zone, nor a liquifaction zone. Go figure.
Joe Bob
Get yer beach front property in Napa.....
carreraguy
Didn't feel it in South San Jose.
RoadGlue
Oh yeah, we felt it big time here. We're in east Santa Rosa, just 3 miles north west of the epicenter in Glenn Ellen. The quake hit with a good BANG and then RATTLE RATTLE for five or so seconds thereafter. Certainly got our adrenaline pumping!

It was small all and all though, and hopefully it wasn't a precursor for something bigger.
Mueller
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 2 2006, 08:13 PM) *

Quick and steady.

freaky...

KT

thought it was someone lowering thier heavy /6 914 too fast with a floor jack biggrin.gif laugh.gif
GWN7
Dam you guys have all the fun......When's the next one?
grantsfo
We dont typically feel them in Bonny Doon. We are sitting on a bunch of granite and limestone. No shaking here.
nebreitling
i was in the middle of a kart race -- didn't feel a thing.
fiid
I was reading stories to Ben at the time.... gentle rocking motion her in SF - only lasted about 5 seconds, but my wife was on the phone at the same time and some fucker rang the doorbell and legged it - twice - and the dog went apeshit - so there was about 5 minutes of utter chaos here.

chilli
QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Aug 2 2006, 07:41 PM) *

Get yer beach front property in Napa.....

Sacramento when the "big one" hits,
mike
cassidy_bolger
3.8 in Portland last night.

do you think the whole coast might be ready to go? bye1.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(cassidy_bolger @ Aug 3 2006, 10:42 AM) *

do you think the whole coast might be ready to go?

i thought the west coast was a subduction zone ...

meaning, nothing is going to break off ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Trekkor
yes, the west coast mountains are acually getting higher, right?

I forgot the number of years they say it will take for L.A. to get here at an inch or so a year.

I don't enjoy earthquakes like I used to before 1989.

KT
mightyohm
Kylie and I were eating dinnner at Red Lobster *IN* Rohnert Park. Freaky for about 5 seconds... I moved up just in time!! boldblue.gif
Sammy
What did you expect, we've had earthquake weather for three weeks now wink.gif

The pacific plate west of the san andreas fault is trying to go north.
The continental plate is trying to stay still. The pacific plate pushes up against the continental plate but because the fault is angled it results in a compression/slide slip fault.
It hangs up for a long time and then goes bang.
Eventually in 100 million years or so (guess) the land west of the san andreas will be up around alaska.
It won't fall off into the ocean, it will just keep moving north. If san Francisco times it right they will beat the global warming thing wink.gif
sjhowitson
We were watching Survivor rerun at the time. They had a quake on the TV and then we had one. very strange.

Cheers
grantsfo
QUOTE(Sammy @ Aug 3 2006, 11:11 AM) *

What did you expect, we've had earthquake weather for three weeks now wink.gif

The pacific plate west of the san andreas fault is trying to go north.
The continental plate is trying to stay still. The pacific plate pushes up against the continental plate but because the fault is angled it results in a compression/slide slip fault.
It hangs up for a long time and then goes bang.
Eventually in 100 million years or so (guess) the land west of the san andreas will be up around alaska.
It won't fall off into the ocean, it will just keep moving north. If san Francisco times it right they will beat the global warming thing wink.gif

One can see examples of this plate movement in places like Point Lobos near Carmel. Granite deposits from southern part of the Sierra mountains can be found the west side of the San Andreas fault. In a couple billion years part of California might become an island. That is if there is anything left of earth at that time.
double-a
the 1:30am quake up in our area was centered around the battle ground, washington area, just outside vancouver. it was a good little jostle, woke us up too!

~a
p914
Yeah we felt that 3.8-4.0 at 1:30 this morning and also an aftershock at 3:20am

We are in La Center
Flat VW
confused24.gif nothing here, THIS time......

I felt the last 'big one' here in Phoenix though, the one that dropped some of the freeway sections in San Francisco, IIRC.

It was early in the morning, it felt like someone had dropped a safe or something right outside our house. I flipped on the television, it took the 'news' about twenty minutes to catch up. A pal of mine who lives nearby here reported the water sloshing out of his 'built-in' pool. blink.gif

John

P.S. Hard to believe but true. sad.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Aug 3 2006, 04:31 PM) *

I felt the last 'big one' here in Phoenix though, the one that dropped some of the freeway sections in San Francisco, IIRC.

It was early in the morning...

Then it wasn't the one that dumped the SF freeways. That was the famous 89 quake, which happened just after 5 PM. Right at the start of one of the Giants/A's world series game, remember?

--DD
Flat VW
Oh, of course, you are right, Dave.

This quake was at about 5 a.m. here and the sun was up already, so it had to be summertime here.

John

P.S. I guess I did not recall that one correctly. headbang.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2006, 04:39 PM) *

Then it wasn't the one that dumped the SF freeways. That was the famous 89 quake, which happened just after 5 PM. Right at the start of one of the Giants/A's world series game, remember?

--DD

Yep 5 PM I have never run two flights of stairs faster in my life. I was in the top story of a concrete tilt up building in San Jose. Ground was still shaking so hard by time I got to the pavement outside I had to hold on to a chain link fence to stay on my feet. I was in a big open parking lot and ground looked like waves of water about 3 feet high
Flat VW
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 3 2006, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2006, 04:39 PM) *

--DD

Yep 5 PM I have never run two flights of stairs faster in my life. I was in the top story of a concrete tilt up building in San Jose. Ground was still shaking so hard by time I got to the pavement outside I had to hold on to a chain link fence to stay on my feet. I was in a big open parking lot and ground looked like waves of water about 3 feet high

WOW! ohmy.gif
JPB
[/quote]

Good one! av-943.gif
JPB
When she's around, the earth always moves. wink.gif

beer.gif One inch forward, one inch back..................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.