Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On PINKS on speed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
Watching it now. Wonder who did the motor?
Mueller
that might be the LowBuck/LowCash (??) turbo VW....pretty sure it's a Type I and built with donated parts...kind of an internet project...
Brett W
The Honda was built by Full Race, it was the same deal, used and hand me down parts. I think both cars were then sold or auctioned off and proceeds were donated to some charity.

This is from one of the owners of the Honda.

most everyone knows we lost the pink car. that sucked, so we thought we would try to redeem ourselves... heres the short version of the story:

Hasport was supposed to race their 11sec H22/nitrous vs an 11sec old school VW bug. Unfortunately the VW was a low 10 sec car, and the hasport h22 car was a mid 12 sec car. this made for a really crappy tv show. The producers of the show knew the footage they had sucked and was not useable, so they wanted to shoot the episode again. So now, the CRX had to go fast. Hasport came to us and we teamed up to build a stock sleeve GSR (built bottom end, Headgames head) with a stage 3 Full-Race kit, using a T3/T67 HO and a really basic drag race setup. Only chassis mods were Full-Race Traction bars and progress coilovers

Car was built just in time, but on the dyno, the turbo sucked in a vacuum hose, trashing the compressor wheel and making the boost go to 40 psi = cracked sleeve, trashed motor 2 days before the race, and the car has a cracked sleeve and a trashed turbo...

Hasport also owns Honda-Auto-Salvage (hence HAS-port) and they happened to have a GSR shortblock which sat in the yard for 3 years. No head, no oil pan, just 4 cylinders filled with dirt. Hasport took the motor and needed a 3 foot breaker bar to get the crank to spin. They broke the crank loose, put a stock b16 head on it and prayed....

They get the motor in the car, wire it up, turn it over... it fired up perfectly. Locash was putting the basemap in the car and couldnt believe it. Oh, and the block was spray painted blue... so basically, this pos (literally) junkyard motor is in the car, so we changed the turbo kit out to a stage 1 kit (tried and true just like the pink car) and put the car on the dyno. I dont rememebr what it made, ill have locash get the dyno plots, but i think it was like 430 whp? Regardless, everyone is happy. we get the car on the trailer and go to the track. I hop in the car

1st pass the car goes 15.0 @ 96. there was a t bolt clamp that wasnt tightened. Bring the car back to the pits, tighten the clamp.
2nd pass, the car goes 11.4 @ 125 (15 psi)
3rd pass, the car goes 11.3 @ 123 (15 psi)

we are happy and wait for the race to begin.

1st race, we race heads up. Its a close race, he takes me out of the hole, i catch him, end up beating him by about 3" at the 1/4, I won (low boost)

2nd race, i hoenstly dont remember what happened? they won (low boost)

3rd race, something happened on his car, they slowed down, I won (low boost)

4th race, they got 2 car lenghts (why they got that, i have no idea). I turn on high boost for the whole pass, but he beat me by 2-3 car lengths at the 1/4. they won (high boost 21-22 psi)

5th race, i get the vw out of the hole, he gets a little squirly and im pushing the high boost putton the whole pass. I look back at him and i see he is pulling HARD on me but hes all over the place. I look forwards and pushing the button and the pedal really really hard, praying i get to the end before he catches me. I see a red flash, pass is over. I won (high boost 21-22 psi)

i had no idea howcome that guy couldnt catch me? i come down the return road and the car is in the wall!!!! i drove our car down the return road to the tree and expect to see my friends but everyone is at the other end of the track. The car ate it and came so close to me that everyone thought it had crashed into me too. The video of it looks like it just skimmed by me. the guy at the end of the track said that he thought i was done. Rich christianson (the guy you all like so much) said he started getting tears in his eyes

so, we won. It should be a really good episode.

I didn't see it.

Here are some pic
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1551816
Aaron Cox
wow.. bug into th wall....
turboman808
They documented the build up of the pink one. It's somewhere in Honda-tech.

Basicaly it was the same setup I got in my daily driver other then they didn't build up the bottom end. Time bomb waiting to explode. But they didn't spend hardly a thing building it. ohmy.gif
Jake Raby
Rich Christensen, the Host of "Pinks" called me last week...

Listen to www.volkscastradio.com this coming Tuesday for my interview to find out what he and I were chatting about..
Brett W
The show would be much cooler if they did a road course, drag strip and long street trip. Then you could see a better representation of a well built car.
blitZ
QUOTE(Brett W @ Aug 3 2006, 04:36 AM) *

The show would be much cooler if they did a road course, drag strip and long street trip. Then you could see a better representation of a well built car.

I agree. I think a mix a drag racing for some cars and AXs for others would make some interesting matchups.
DNHunt
It would be fun to see cars brake and turn but, don't hold your breath. Drag racing sells, it's easy to film and road racing / Ax requires more sophisticated viewers (damn that sounds upiddy).

Man, Jake I hope it's you against Danimal. Type IV vs. Type I.

Dave
Joe Ricard
Thing is about the format of Pinks. You don't need to have the fastest car. you just need to be the bestest negotiator.
That VW was extremely fast. Way faster than the Honda. Even with one hand tied behind it's back (wheelie bars removed) that Civic was getting whooped as the VW was going everywhich way but straight down the track.
grantsfo
I have never understood Pinks. Guess it appeals to the WWF crowd. Perhaps they could combine the two. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 3 2006, 08:47 AM) *

I have never understood Pinks. Guess it appeals to the WWF crowd. Perhaps they could combine the two. biggrin.gif

Grant might be a good idea, I always watch TV with hot women parading around 1/2 naked. I watch NOPI tuner vision too.
Brett W

Thing is about the format of Pinks. You don't need to have the fastest car. you just need to be the bestest negotiator.
That VW was extremely fast. Way faster than the Honda. Even with one hand tied behind it's back (wheelie bars removed) that Civic was getting whooped as the VW was going everywhich way but straight down the track.

They were both making the same power and they both weigh about the same. The first race was pretty close. In an honest all out race they would be really close.

nebreitling
i bloody hate how that host postures his machismo in that show, always trying to look 'tough'. frankly, i think it looks a little gay.
Mueller
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Aug 3 2006, 11:33 AM) *

i bloody hate how that host postures his machismo in that show, always trying to look 'tough'. frankly, i think it looks a little gay.

I read an article on the host...he knows NOTHING about cars screwy.gif , the show was his idea and he found a production company/cable channel that liked his idea and ran with it....the macho thing is a total act, not sure if it's his idea or he was told that'll it'll appeal better to the masses...
turboman808
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 3 2006, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Aug 3 2006, 11:33 AM) *

I read an article on the host...he knows NOTHING about cars screwy.gif , the show was his idea and he found a production company/cable channel that liked his idea and ran with it....the macho thing is a total act, not sure if it's his idea or he was told that'll it'll appeal better to the masses...

Have you seen the new host of Trucks. Talk about Super Macho gay guy. Kinda creeps me out and I just sorta quit watching it.
IPB Image
Brett W
Gotta agree there. Stacy was a hell of a lot better host. He actually knew a thing or two.
Boojum
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 3 2006, 07:47 AM) *

Yes. Might I suggest that the wrestlers get thrown out in front of the local drag races? I mean, I'd probably watch that.
Sammy
I watched pinks once.
all the arguing, posing, BS just pissed me off. like you said, it wasn't about having the fastest car at all.
Now when I see it's on I flip right by it and think, i sure hope that stupid show gets cancelled.

How aboyt that short guy on one of them horsepower shows that is always trying to act like he's 7 foot tall?
Just makes me want to slap him back down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.