Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: parking brake handle restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
Phase I of the parking brake restoration is under way - the handle! Right now I am contemplating keeping this new look with a modified paint scheme. It should eventually match the rest of the interior which will be either black or polished metal surfaces. Phase II is using a NOS spring, pin, and catch on this handle.

Has anybody successfully replaced the catch? By "catch" I mean the doohiky-thing-of a bob that "catches" the teeth and moves when the botton is pushed. It looks like I might have to drill through the mount then re-attach with a threaded screw insert or something?

Is there a way to clean up or replace the plastic grip and button?

Phase III is getting the cables sorted and adjusting them to finally work.
beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Catch == "pawl".

The button unscrews, I haven't taken the grip off the handle though. Clean 'em up with standard plastic cleaning stuff, like the non-silicone vinyl cleaning stuff. If they're really badly faded, you might be able to make 'em look pretty again with a heat gun--just hold it on there for a few moments, and sometimes that can get faded plastic to look nice again.

Or you can get some interior paint and paint the plastic.

--DD
zymurgist
I have used a fine polish (Blue Magic) to refurbish red plastic heater knobs in my 911. The hazy finish on the surface came right off and the knob turned red again. You might want to try that with the plastic brake handle.
Brian Mifsud
2nd vote on the polish.. except, get yourself one of those fabric polishing wheels. With the proper "rouge", you can take all the defects out of the plastic and buff it up nicely. I wouldn't use heat unless you had another spare handle lying around
Chris Pincetich
Anybody replaced the pawl? The one in there is badly chipped/grooved and I have a NOS zinc plated one I bought from a member so I really want to get the old one out and the new one in. Hints and tips are greatly appreciated! beerchug.gif
JWest
The grip comes off. It is just a friction fit, but rust usually makes it a real pain to pull off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.