Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Concours Winner" Engine Compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
This one is on Ebay.. '76 2.0 being sold out of Florida. Claims "Concours" winner. Looks very very nice, but I missed the chromed air cleaner option when reading through the 914 History...

Ebay Auction
Cap'n Krusty
Since concours points are based on originality, this guy probably wouldn't get a single point. The Cap'n
mike_the_man
Whats up with the interior? Grey interior? Wood trim? Were those ever options? For concours winner, you'd think everything would be original??? And a frame off resto? I didn't know you could take the body off the frame. It all seems pretty shakey to me. Someone should email the seller and ask a few questions...
URY914
That's right give a guy a load of shit because he is trying to sell his car. We have a problem here with beating up on cars that are on the market. I've done it too. Why do people do this? Doesn't really help anything.

Doesn't take much to win a local PCA concours.
Dave_Darling
WTF is up with the throttle body? Three return springs? OK, the stock one, and the stock "supplemental" one... But then there's a third one underneath the stock spring? Sounds like someone's got some real throttle bind issues.

--DD
racerx9146
its very nice and I agree with Ury about bashing sellers but still... I am curious about the "frame off restoration"

hee hee John
Mueller
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 3 2006, 10:09 AM) *

That's right give a guy a load of shit because he is trying to sell his car. We have a problem here with beating up on cars that are on the market. I've done it too. Why do people do this? Doesn't really help anything.

I'm guessing with this one people are being "critical" cause it's a "concour" winning car?? confused24.gif

It might not be the sellers "fault" that he was mis-lead into thinking he has a concour level vehicle, mabey better would to say that it won it's class at a local car show.

If some newbie bought this car thinking he can enter it at car shows at a national level, he's going to get quickly embarrased.

other than that, nice looking car overall.....
TC/914
"WTF is up with the throttle body? Three return springs?"

It's like wearing three condoms, one inside-out ribbed for YOUR pleasure, then a nice thick one for strength, and lastly one right-side-out ribbed for HER pleasure.

Pretty standard around here . . .
URY914
QUOTE(TC/914 @ Aug 3 2006, 09:42 AM) *

Pretty standard around here . . .

Three return springs or wearing three condoms?
Cap'n Krusty
If you're gonna toss around terms such as "Concours Winner", ya better be able to prove it against the established standards, and that means PCA national rules. In my region, and in fact anywhere in Zone 8, this car wouldn't stand a chance, even if there were only one other car in the class. The wood trim, the upholstery, the radio, the hose clamps where they don't belong, the SS braided hose, the 3rd spring, the chrome air cleaner, the paint colors on the engine tin and plenum, the painted steel wheels with the chrome beauty rings, the muffler, and the subtle and tasteful side decals, would all wash the car out of the judging. Not to mention the way the TTS is mounted (might even be the wrong one!), the incorrect vacuum hoses, the wiremold covering whatever it covers (and the split hose doing the same!), the plugged ports on the air cleaner and the plenum, the missing boot on the MPS wiring plug, the plug wires, and the likely to be missing OE emissions equipment. If I can spot all that in these few rather deficient pictures, think what a judge would find! The Cap'n
Air_Cooled_Nut
agree.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Nice car but no way a concours one. Pretty lacking in details as well with that price tag.
URY914
rolleyes.gif Tough crowd here. Not all people "standards" are standard.

If you need more info......

"For more information, please contact me dan.waite@morganshotelgroup.com"

grantsfo
Yikes! $14,500 buy it now!
Sammy
What's a concourse? (old inside joke from rennlist) poke.gif poke.gif confused24.gif WTF.gif
Joe Bob
Something you walk down with a cover.....
tod914
"This car is easily in the top 1% of all 914's in existence." I think if the car was properly represented and at a fair market price, no one would really be bashing it. Well, not as much anyway. lol
tod914
Since concours points are based on originality, this guy probably wouldn't get a single point. The Cap'n

Cut the guy alittle slack.. I bet the fan shroud plug is original.
TROJANMAN
if he didn't say concours, would you guys still be bashing it?
tod914
Looks like a decent car, you can tell someone put alot of time into it, but its not as advertised. top 1% ?? stretching it alittle.
Part Pricer

Well, I won a PCA concours. My car would have gotten thrashed if I was around a bunch of real CWs, but I won. My car was the only 914 there and I took home the prize for best 914. I've got the certificate to prove it. What's to say that this guy didn't win under similar circumstances?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 12:49 PM) *

I wouldn't. The Cap'n
TROJANMAN
just curious. carry on smile.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 03:49 PM) *

No not really... maybe picky on his choices of style things (ie wood dash etc)

But those are the things that we usually talk about.

This is an example of either misleading or an ignorant owner who *could* sucker someone else into thinking that this is a pristine CW of a car. When in fact it is just a "nice" example of a 914.

And Paul... as usual you are on the extreme. I do not think we bash EVERY 914 put up here. Generally we point out things that we like don't like or are wrong and give our very vocal opinion on them.

This one IMHO deserves it.

Oh and BTW... if this guy had a clue about this car or restoration in general he would have NEVER said it had a frame off restoration.
tod914
Doesnt seem like it would take alot to bring it back to original if thats what someone wanted to do. door panels, seats, dash trim and repainting some engine tin and rims. minor stuff.
carreraguy
Depending on the PCA Zone rules where entered, the guy could have easily won a concours if he was in the "Wash and Shine" category in which originality is not judged; all he needs is a very clean car (usually they don't judge the engine in Wash and Shine either). It is even possible he could win a local regional event in other than Wash and Shine, but definitely not a contender for "Full" or "Restored" categories at the national level! biggrin.gif

Correction - I believe Full is not judged on originality now; a recent rule change this year. Deductions come in Restored if the car is less than 75% original and this car definitely is!
TROJANMAN
Well, since you guys are in the mood happy11.gif

$25,000? confused24.gif

tod914
Theres an nice original Laguna Blue 6 on there too. 1st time seen that color on one.
JPB
At least he didn't say it was bored 30 over av-943.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 04:11 PM) *

$25,000? confused24.gif

Not enough info there to bash. biggrin.gif

Looks nice enough but 25 Grr is a little steep for a 1.8.

If he gets it though... I've got a restored 1.7 to sell. dry.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 01:11 PM) *

$25,000? confused24.gif

$25K? whats that guy smoking? WTF.gif
TROJANMAN
i'm not sure what he's smoking, but i was about to run down to the local thrift shop, buy a bunch of old trohpies, throw them in my trunk, snap a picture, and put a $20,000 sign on my front window. Of course, if you buy my car w/o the trophies, it's only half that. biggrin.gif

Tom, I wish i had bought your yellow car dry.gif
coming to RRC?
JPB
Here I can help him, "Original unibody, 914 sports car winner for sale!"

beer.gif From the body on, who the hell konws.
Rouser
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 04:11 PM) *

$25,000? confused24.gif

Well, at least he didn't say it's won a Con-Coors ... dry.gif
Flat VW

We have a problem here with beating up on cars that are on the market. Doesn't really help anything.

It can help a buyer.

John

P.S. I do not agree with the practice, by the way....
Flat VW
QUOTE(Sammy @ Aug 3 2006, 12:37 PM) *

What's a concourse? (old inside joke from rennlist) poke.gif poke.gif confused24.gif WTF.gif

I am not sure either, but they are always talking about 'em at the airport every time I go. laugh.gif

John
Air_Cooled_Nut

$25,000? confused24.gif

Not too minty if the seal is hanging out on the door threshhold and there's overspray on the door seal...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 3 2006, 11:30 AM) *
... Not to mention the way the TTS is mounted (might even be the wrong one!), ... the plugged ports on the air cleaner and the plenum... and the likely to be missing OE emissions equipment.

Some of those, I think, are correct. The plugged port on the air cleaner, at least, is stock for late cars without the EGR--and many late cars came without smog pumps, cats, or EGRs. (IIRC, CA and MA were the only two states to have some or all of that on 914s.)

And I couldn't even see enough of the TTS to figure how it's mounted...

But "concours-winning condition"? That's not how I would describe this car.

--DD
grantsfo

$25,000? confused24.gif

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! He's freekin nuts!
mack914
Frame off restoration is being used more loosely than the concours thing. It may be concours, but its never been off its frame, cause it has no frame. blink.gif
MoveQik

I agree. In this case it is beating up an eBay car. Perhaps that isn't too terrible as we all know some of the stunts tried out on ebay.

What really gets me is when people chime in on classified ads placed here by members. For whatever reason, people just can't resist the urge to voice their opinion as to the value of cars for sale here. I say, if you think it's over-priced, who cares. Shut up, don't buy it and move on. The sellers aren't placing the ads to get your opinion of value. I remember a while back that a guy wouldn't put the price of the car in the ad for this very reason and he got a load of shit for it. Frankly, I don't blame him. Serious buyers could contact him and negotiate and he didn't have to worry about all the "experts" chiming in on whether his price was right or not.

:offsoapboxsmilie: biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Hey....Frankenstealth got bashed by the club as some people didn't know it was mine.....Howie posted the eBay as a joke.....I was truthful when I mentioned in bold type and in red color that it was rusty POS and full of bondo.....still got shit.

BUT....mine sold for 14.5K.....so like nanner nanner....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2006, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 3 2006, 11:30 AM) *
... Not to mention the way the TTS is mounted (might even be the wrong one!), ... the plugged ports on the air cleaner and the plenum... and the likely to be missing OE emissions equipment.

Some of those, I think, are correct. The plugged port on the air cleaner, at least, is stock for late cars without the EGR--and many late cars came without smog pumps, cats, or EGRs. (IIRC, CA and MA were the only two states to have some or all of that on 914s.)

And I couldn't even see enough of the TTS to figure how it's mounted...

But "concours-winning condition"? That's not how I would describe this car.

--DD

OK. I'll trade the plugged air cleaner port for the outside mirror. The Cap'n
URY914
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 3 2006, 12:05 PM) *

And Paul... as usual you are on the extreme. I do not think we bash EVERY 914 put up here.

Todd... I have read my previous posts to this thread several times now. I never said "we bash EVERY 914". I made my point and several others have now agreed with me.
Seems like you’re getting a little personal. You don't have to agree with me but if your going to flame me get your facts right. But that's just me being on the extreme again... rolleyes.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Aug 3 2006, 01:29 PM) *

Tom, I wish i had bought your yellow car dry.gif
coming to RRC?

Attendance at RRC will be determined by how the Boss likes her ride from LV to SJ. Picking up 914AROO tomorrow! Pics to follow on my blog! biggrin.gif
SGB
fellas!

I won 2nd place in a PCA Concours with CARBS & 911 code PAINT! GASP!

Criminy. PCA has multiple classes. I DID NOT win a "prevervation" class. I don't have the inclination to look up all the PCA rules & classes, to find out what it was called, but I HAVE A TROPHY that says 2nd Place, Winterfest Concours D'Elegance. I love it. I was amazed. I told the a Judge before signing up about the inaccuracies, and his response was that for this event, for my car, it would be judged on the quality of it's condition, however stock or non-stock that may be. His 914 with 3.2 liter 6 did not place.

So don't throw this guy off a bridge. It's not a Buick he is selling as a 914.
Brian Mifsud
whoooooops... didn't mean to start a big old arguement.. I was just mesmerized by the chrome

.......eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww.......... shiney....
Joe Bob
Arguments are down the hall......this room is fer Bitchy.....
rmital
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Aug 3 2006, 01:23 PM) *

$25,000? confused24.gif

Not too minty if the seal is hanging out on the door threshhold and there's overspray on the door seal...

threshold seal...overspray...
I thought there was something wrong with the display on my computer screen...
Brian Mifsud
Last concours I went to was years ago at Carlsen Porsche in Mountain View. Beautiful orange /6. I got down and peered under the wheelhouses at the transaxle... shiny new cad plating on all the fasteners, looked perfect... I involuntarily verbalized "wow......" the owner thanked me and shook my hand... it was the first COMPLIMENT he'd recieved in this totally NEGATIVE competition called "concours".....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.