Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new mechanic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Queenie
Many thanks to those of you who recommended John Larson of West Coast Garage to me. I dropped my car off with him this morning and it was a very pleasant transaction. Cool guy, cool shop. I feel good about the whole thing, and I feel confident in his ability to diagnose problems and fix them.

If everything goes as planned, I'll have a good-running 914 back in my driveway by next Friday.
Jenny
Three cheers for capt. Krusty!! Too bad he won't join us here.

Jen
Charles Deutsch
John definitely know 914s. He has a d-jet tester on ebay right now ... I hope he still has one at the shop to help diagnose your f/i problems.
markb
Glad to know you're happy with John, Queenie. He really does know his stuff. I'm just bummed I had to work my *real* job & couldn't be there to meet you. I'm also headed to Big Sur for the first part of next week, so chances of meeting you next week are also slim. Yes, John does have another DJET tester to check out our little cars. I keep him up to date on what goes on on this list, so he's aware of the good press he's been getting. Mark
rhodyguy
a mechanic you feel you can trust and one that came highly recomended. count your blessings.

kevin
Joe Bob
Hope ya didn't tell him "I" recommended him did ya????

I have a rep to maintain..... blink.gif

Hope he works out for you.... beerchug.gif
RustyWa
I'm confused....not surprising...

About your "asshole" mechanic. Are you talking about "onespeedboy", who has posted on this site? Or is it someone else?
Charles Deutsch
It's someone else.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 18 2003, 12:58 PM)
John definitely know 914s. He has a d-jet tester on ebay right now ... I hope he still has one at the shop to help diagnose your f/i problems.

Wow, did he make a profit or what!? I have two of these units and paid $150 each. And I felt like I paid too much blink.gif
Charles Deutsch
You got a great deal at $150 (I won't tell you what I paid for mine other than it was $5 more than what another bidder was willing to pay). Mine does seem to be well made - the dials click into position and line up perfectly with the indicator marks etc.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Oct 18 2003, 10:46 PM)
Wow, did he make a profit or what!? I have two of these units and paid $150 each. And I felt like I paid too much blink.gif

it looks like something that would be easy to re-engineer with modern components.
anyone? mueller? MUUUEEEEHHHLLLERRR ...

Andy
Charles Deutsch
Check out what this EFAW 193 sold for http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...item=2426050433 . According to Brad Anders' page "This was the first tester model that Bosch provided for D-Jetronic. Most of the tests it supports can be accomplished with a break-out box and a DMM. The meter measures ohms or volts, depending on the positions of switches A and B. A 25-pin interposer is used to connect the tester with the ECU and the wiring harness." I asked Brad which unit was the best one to get and he suggested the VW 1218 which can test teverything on the d-jet system except the fuel pressure, auxiliary air valve and the "cold starting device".
campbellcj
Larson is a great guy and knows his stuff. I think you will be pleased. Good luck w/ the rest of the project.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 19 2003, 06:43 AM)
Check out what this EFAW 193 sold for http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...item=2426050433 . According to Brad Anders' page "This was the first tester model that Bosch provided for D-Jetronic. Most of the tests it supports can be accomplished with a break-out box and a DMM. The meter measures ohms or volts, depending on the positions of switches A and B. A 25-pin interposer is used to connect the tester with the ECU and the wiring harness." I asked Brad which unit was the best one to get and he suggested the VW 1218 which can test teverything on the d-jet system except the fuel pressure, auxiliary air valve and the "cold starting device".

According to http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=402.00&s=EUR&t=USD
that person paid $468! They were raped!!!

I want one of these testers but I'm not stupid enough -- nor rich enough -- to pay that much. Yes, a multimeter will work but the testers just speed up the process. They're one of those 'nice to have' tools.
Air_Cooled_Nut
BTW, congrats on getting a new and better mechanic. They make all the difference in the world!
Charles Deutsch
Are you collecting d-jet testers? When did you buy the VW 1218s? Do you have the manual for them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.