Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd66921
Hi,

My tach decided to die on me, I think. It has always been bouncy, but usually
settled down after a little while. Last week, it died, no reading at all. Now it has
come back to life somewhat. It seems to read ~1/2 what it should.

So, I am trying to decide if it is really bad, or whether it might not be the tach
itself. I have gone through all the wires and they seem to be tight. Do you think
a new one is the right thing to try? I don't have a spare...

Thanks,

Jeff
Cap'n Krusty
/4 or /6? If /4, points or electronic ignition? Any aftermarket ignition unit? If a 6, stock ignition with BHKZ, or aftermarket, with or without the tachometer drive unit. The Cap'n
jd66921
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 3 2006, 05:12 PM) *

/4 or /6? If /4, points or electronic ignition? Any aftermarket ignition unit? If a 6, stock ignition with BHKZ, or aftermarket, with or without the tachometer drive unit. The Cap'n

It figures that I never ask the right questions!! huh.gif

A stock 1.8 l/4 with points. L-Jet, no mods!
Dave_Darling
If the car is running fine, then either your tach took a dump on you or the wires are messed up. Unplug the tach wire from the tach and the coil, and see if it connects to ground at all. If there is any connection whatsoever, the wiring is suspect. If not, then the tach is.

--DD
jd66921
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2006, 06:04 PM) *

If the car is running fine, then either your tach took a dump on you or the wires are messed up. Unplug the tach wire from the tach and the coil, and see if it connects to ground at all. If there is any connection whatsoever, the wiring is suspect. If not, then the tach is.

--DD

Would that lead it to read weird? That's what's bugging me! Does anyone have a
schematic of the tach itself? It's a pain to open it!! What kind of a signal does
the tach expect? I'll check the wiring some more again tomorrow...

Thanks!

Jeff
r_towle
Start easy...
make sure the wires to your coild are firmly connected and they are not touching the engine...i.e. the coild wiggles loose and turns..the wires touch...

BTDT..

Rich
brant
Jeff,

have you changed points lately?

I've seen weird readings like that from my car when it used to have points and things were in need of attention.

check your point gap and set the dwell

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.