Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw4ever
Hi there new member here.. just wondering if there are any engines that will bolt up to the 914 trans with very little to no mods. reason why I ask I have a 82? subaru wagon that I am hoping to use the engine from in order to get my car moving original engine is siezed due to a fire..
Mueller
you need an adapter plate and special flywheel to bolt any motor except for a Porsche Six cylinder to a 914 transmission (you might be able to use a wasserpumper from bus screwy.gif )

Adapters and flywheels from Kennedy Engineering.......figure about $500 for the parts...

IPB Image

anthony
Bolting most engines to the transmission usually isn't the hardest part. It's fitting the engine, the injection, and the cooling.
dflesburg
I keep thinking that my 535+ hp supercharged 32valve 4.6 motor would make a 914 fly... oh wait, could just buy the GT40.... oh yeah, I am poor because I just bought a 3.2 Porsche engine.

LOL
JPB
You've come to the right place if you wanna modify and the Suby deal is the ticket lately. One thing that I learned and will make YOU a family member is to post your progress through your own link. Everyone wants to be part of your progress and many have done this before so no sweat and lots of usefull info.

beer.gif I think everyone is going Suby here hide.gif
vw4ever
I've looked at the adapter plates but they don't list one for the 1.6 ltr subaru engine. the only other thing I would have to worry about in hooking this engine up is the water as the engine I have is carbed..
MoveQik
screwy.gif You can't have a name like VW4EVER and put a suby engine in the car....

Oh and welcome.png biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(vw4ever @ Aug 3 2006, 09:56 PM) *

I've looked at the adapter plates but they don't list one for the 1.6 ltr subaru engine. the only other thing I would have to worry about in hooking this engine up is the water as the engine I have is carbed..

call or email them, they have some combos not listed...make sure you have the year and info such as auto or stick ready when you contact them.

not sure how handy you are, but there is another subaru conversion guy doing the swap that is going to use the subaru transmission

subaru transmission with subaru motor conversion
TonyAKAVW
I'm in the middle of doing a Subaru engine conversion. Its true that posting your progress get you a lot of recognition, but more importantly it logs specific knowledge and experiences for others, is a good way to get answers to questions/criticisms, etc. Also it acts as a good motivator. An engine onversion is a long project especially if you are doing it yourself, and takes a lot of patience. The extra push from the members here has helped me a lot!

I'm looking at about 2 weeks before I start up the motor and maybe another couple weeks after that before its drivable.

Here's my progress thread

I don't know anything about the 1.6 liter engines, but the first thing to figure out is where the engine mounts are located. If they are located near the engine output side of the engine (as is the case with the 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 H6, possbly others) then there are a couple options for mounting. I prefer the U-shaped bar that I and at least two others have used, but there is also the front-to-bak cradle that Renegade Hybrid sells. You'll have to imagine how that works, because they are very secretive of their design. Their kit is a good way to go it you don't want to fabricate things, or if you want the conversion to happen faster smile.gif

Good luck and I'd love to see what a carb'd Subaru engine looks like.

-Tony
vw4ever
what would a 72 914/4 go for. I need to sell it for as much as I can so that my wife and I can have children. We have to do invetro and it costs alot to do that.. Car was a write off due to Engine fire. It is located in Saskatchewan, Canada. Around Prince Albert area. Photos can be made available but would take awhile to send cause I am on dialup and would have to find a high speed access
Andyrew
Engine fire 914... probably cant get more than 1k...

The only cars fetching money now adays are unmolested perfect drivers..
type47
QUOTE(vw4ever @ Dec 9 2006, 09:57 PM) *

what would a 72 914/4 go for. I need to sell it for as much as I can so that my wife and I can have children.

you'll never fund children by selling a 914...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.