Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Tie-rods & Fresh Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Finally got the 5 lug swap sorted out with new turbo tie-rods, M calipers, wheel bearings, brake pads, alignment, etc.

Alignment came out at 1.00 front camber, 1.5 rear camber and 1/16th toe-in front and rear. (Guy said that's as close as he could get to what I wanted)

Took the car out for a spin earlier and man it's like everything is tied into a light switch.

The slightest input to the steering wheel and it wants to change directions RIGHT NOW!!!

Also seems to pick up every contour in the road surface which was kinda unnerveing over 60.

Are these the changes I should expect?

I'm gonna have to learn to drive it all over again... driving.gif
Brando
Yes Allan that is how it should be. No "spongeyness" like on a power-steering car or a 914 with rubber tie rod ends biggrin.gif
nebreitling
where'd you get it aligned? how much caster?

do a quick toe check, make sure you've really got toe in (not out). my car is also a little "twichy" (0 toe front, 1/8" in rear), but not unnerving, even at 110+.

if the car is simply too sensative, then take it back and try a little more toe in..
lapuwali
There is no "perfect" alignment for everyone. If it's too twitchy for you, it's not well set up for you. I would double check that you have what you asked for, then drive the car for awhile to see if you can get used to it. If you decide you don't like it, then keep tweaking.

Following road undulations may be a bump steer problem. Is the car lowered? Are there any spacers under the rack?
Allan
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 3 2006, 07:14 PM) *

Following road undulations may be a bump steer problem. Is the car lowered? Are there any spacers under the rack?

The car is not severely low like say Trekkors is, and I do have a bump steer kit installed.

I think It's just going to take some time to get use to. I'll drive it for a while and if things (being me) don't adapt I'll take it to a teener guy I know.

Also, would the tire pressure affect this? Too much make it skittish?

I just went out and checked and I'm currently running 36 lbs. all the way around.
Rouser
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 3 2006, 10:39 PM) *
I just went out and checked and I'm currently running 36 lbs. all the way around.

36PSI?! THAT IS WAY TOO HIGH!! Even with 195/60-15's, you should be running about 24-25 PSI; that's what I run with 205/60-15's all around.

No wonder you're dartin' about, loosening your fillings, and feeling every roach & pebble out there.
Allan
QUOTE(Rouser @ Aug 3 2006, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 3 2006, 10:39 PM) *

36PSI?! THAT IS WAY TOO HIGH!! Even with 195/60-15's, you should be running about 24-25 PSI; that's what I run with 205/60-15's all around.

No wonder you're dartin' about, loosening your fillings, and feeling every roach & pebble out there.

24-25?

Jeez, mostly I see 28 - 32 around here.

24 - 25 seems like the pressure I use to let my truck tires down to when I was at the beach.

Are you sure?
nebreitling

i have to disagree on that point. beerchug.gif
Trekkor
32-35 psi on a street tire is the norm.

When I went to turbo tie rods, bump kit and a comp alignment I was thrilled with the turn-in response.

Yes it is "new". You'll get used to it. It's great.

KT
Allan
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 3 2006, 08:10 PM) *

32-35 psi on a street tire is the norm.

When I went to turbo tie rods, bump kit and a comp alignment I was thrilled with the turn-in response.

Yes it is "new". You'll get used to it. It's great.

KT

Thanks Trek. I'm gonna drop my pressure to about 32 -33 lbs. and see what happens.

I'm sure alot of it is me. When I was at Lonepine I let Aaron drive it and he commented that it was sluggish in steering response.

I just have to remember that I am use to driving teeners with only original steering components.

I'm now starting to think that I may drive it to Santa Barbara Saturday.

P.S., I do have AAA.... wink.gif
Trekkor
Do you mean Santa Rosa? boldblue.gif

KT
Allan
QUOTE(trekkor @ Aug 3 2006, 08:43 PM) *

Do you mean Santa Rosa? boldblue.gif

KT

Unfortunately, no.

I'm gonna take the car over to Mike Zois place and see how well we can tune it after an MSD/Crane ignition swap.

I wish more of you guys could make the Buttonwillow event(s).

I'm kind of lucky that I'm in between the lot of you evil doers.

Now that the house is off the market I'm gonna try and make some of the Nor Cal events.

So get ready to see the back of my car..... biggrin.gif burnout.gif
Aaron Cox
but, allan, you had worn out stock tierods......

thats why it was sluggish.
Chris Pincetich
When I first started driving my 914, I had to be REALLY careful not to accidently change lanes every time I saw something interesting on the side of the road. As soon as my head turned, the whole car followed. I love it now, I'm constantly playing dodge the potholes to keep the ride smooth and the alignment correct. I can slalom a pothole at 70 mph and still be glued to the road, its fun biggrin.gif
SLITS
If you read the sticker on the car for tire pressures, it's 26 front, 29 rear with stock tires.

At Willow Springs on "whitey", I was running 23 / 25.

But then, that's just me.
Rouser
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 3 2006, 10:58 PM) *
24-25?

Jeez, mostly I see 28 - 32 around here.

24 - 25 seems like the pressure I use to let my truck tires down to when I was at the beach.

Are you sure?

Yep, I just don't see why such high pressures are being used, when OEM pressures are in the 25-27 PSI range anyway.

25 PSI and the tires wear evenly, doesn't cause the car to be twichy, nervous, and no unusual antics.

Do whatcha want, but your issues ARE PSI-rated.
lapuwali
Pressures are going to vary a lot from tire to tire, and how the car is driven. The factory pressures were for 165/80 tires using 1960s era tire technology. This is going to have very little relation to what you run using 195/60s using 2000s era tire technology, or 205/50 sticky "street" tires that would outperform the very best race tires available in the 1960s, when 50-series tires were completely unheard of.

If 25 psi works for you, with your car, how you drive it, great. It's not going to work for everyone.
Rouser
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 4 2006, 06:39 PM) *
If 25 psi works for you, with your car, how you drive it, great. It's not going to work for everyone.

Thanks for the history lesson, and no, not all tire pressures work for everybody, but 36 PSI IS WAY TOO HIGH.

It - won't - hurt to pull 'em down below 30 PSI ... really.
DBCooper
I have to agree, that's too high. The "yeah, 32 lbs all around" came from the times of bias ply tires and service station attendants. Car and tire manufacturer's recommendations are usually 28 lbs or lower. That's a compromise pressure for ride/tire wear/handling/noise, and it's a reasonably good level for the street. So start there and adjust to whatever suits you.
RoadGlue
Hrmm, I'm running the Falken 615s at 36/38, and that's lower than recommended by some!

Rouser, I don't see how you say that 36 PSI is too high when you don't know what tire he's running. Anything under 30 lbs on the tires I've used over the years has always felt sloppy to me. But again, that's with the tires I had installed.

The darting/twitchy steering sounds like a toe-problem to me.
Rouser
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 4 2006, 08:35 PM) *

Rouser, I don't see how you say that 36 PSI is too high when you don't know what tire he's running. Anything under 30 lbs on the tires I've used over the years has always felt sloppy to me. But again, that's with the tires I had installed.

The darting/twitchy steering sounds like a toe-problem to me.

He had the car aligned, and he got the toe-in listed above. If he has "a toe-problem" as you stated, than suggest he get it ALL checked out ALL over again.

Again, do whatcha want, but I RECOMMEND that it - JUST - won't - hurt to pull 'em down below 30 PSI ... no, really! If ya don't like the way it FEELS, ramp them suckers up to 40 PSI. After all, IT'S YOUR CAR.

Sheesh ...
Joe Bob
He's coming over to my 'hood tomorrow....Mikey will drive it and see what up.....of course I will over rev it, stall it and generally fuck it up....but hey....he'll have an opinion....
Howard
jsharp.gif at Mikey's tomorrow. PM for directions.

Oh, 26/28 on Azenis seems to be the number. Ran 24/26 on stickier Toyo Proxes. But righto, it's personal preference. I like it to squirm a little before it comes. happy11.gif
Allan
I just bought me a nice tar gauge. I'm gonna drop 'em down and go from there.

I mean, what's involved other than check pressure driving.gif adjust pressure driving.gif , etc.

Sounds like a reason to driving.gif to me... biggrin.gif
elwood-914
When I put on my turo tie rods, it seem pleasantly squirelly, I got used to it quickly driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Well my recommendation is to run enough pressure to keep the side wall from rolling in a fast sweeper turn.

Use chaulk to mark the tire tread edge so you can keep track of what's goin on.

I run 36 PSI on my 225/50-15 Hankook Ventus RS-2 on 8 inch rims. I can get them to scub just to the tips of the arrow points. 1 degree negative camber.

Turbo tie rods won't make the car twitchy but a funky alignment will.
JPB
Good info fellas! One thing though and I'm certain you all have had this. I only drove my car twice since I had it and it seemed fine and exciting! Here I am reading all this cool info and am almost ready to invest in some turbo tie rods! WTF!!!

beer.gif Is my addiction due to reading these pages of EVILNESS? hijacked.gif
SLITS
2200 lb race car...14" rims.... 8" Goodyear Slicks....Road Racing.....19 - 22 lbs to get tire temps even across footprint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.