Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Cooler Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So, I definitely have to move my oil cooler up front. Currently it is in the illegal rear-trunk position. It keeps the oil temps out of cooksville but they will still get up there with highway cruising at 3500-4000 RPMs (electric blower fan too).

So until I get the MBZ 12cyl oil cooler I want, I'll be mounting this one in the trunk up front. I plan on buying some high-pressure rubber lines OR high pressure rubber lines and metal tubing. The metal tubing would go through the holes in the long supports on the outside (with grommets). I would like to have A/N fittings on both sides of the metal tubes, and A/N fittings on the rubber lines TO the metal tubes in the longs. Right now on my remote cooler plate it has barbed fittings, and my oil cooler has barbed fittings.

So, a few questions:

- Should I pursue the metal tubing in the longs idea? (Might be cheaper than the rubber tubing that far).
- Is there a way to attach A/N fittings to rubber line?
- What size A/N fittings should I use? How do I measure them?
- Should I use A/N fittings, or keep the barbed fittings and use hose clamps?

I also have at my disposal what looks like a 930 sandwich adapter with a thermostat inside. It has what look like A/N fittings on it. I want to use this if I can, but I'm not sure.

Any and all advice is appreciated, as usual smile.gif Thanks.
McMark
There are AN fittings that are barbed and use hose clamps. The AN only indicates the threaded portion, not how the fitting attaches to the hose. I would guess -10 lines, but I'm sure Aaron will pop in and tell you use use -16 lines just in case a 3.6 falls in your lap (do it once, do it right). poke.gif

I don't much like running things inside the longs, but everyone has to choose their own path. I haven't found a solution that I love, but my latest crush is running metal lines under the body (like the V8 water lines). If you drill holes just above the steering rack it comes out on the back wall of the front trunk (where Trekkor has his three large outlet holes). I'm sure some people worry about scraping and bursting a line, but V8 guys don't seem to break lines and they run much larger lines. If you're scraping the belly that much, you've got other problems.

Also, I don't see the AN fitting as a necessity. They are nice and clean, but if what you've got holds tight and doesn't leak oil, I say run it.
dekman
I went to a local junk yard and pulled two mazda coolers(15ea). One is in my car, the other I sold for $150.00. I think I used A/N-12 and return -16. Ran the lines down the drivers side...did not have to make any new holes(just enlarged existing). Sorry...just one old pic.
McMark
Dammit Aaron, where the hell are you? When I lay the smack down, I expect you to be around to take it! mad.gif

wink.gif
Aaron Cox
im in an emotionally bad state of mind.

See ya for a few days
McMark
Well sheeeet. What a waste of my humor. Oh well.

Feel better soon. sad.gif

Brando, I think the fact that I already gave my opinion makes it okay for me to ramble on and on. unsure.gif
Mueller
MBZ 12cyl oil cooler I want,

tell us about this cooler...what is so special about it, no fair teasing us like this biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.