Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rechroming Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I need to get a bumper rechromed.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good value for this service?

thanks,
-Rusty smoke.gif
TonyAKAVW
Alternatively, does anyone know of a place in the LA area that is good at rechroming?

-Tony
Joe Bob
Dave at GPR did mine on an exchange basis a few years back.....dunno if he's still doing them.

A LOT of chromers are out of business as they were NOT the cleanest enviro companies to begin with and the old school guys wouldn't change.

IF and WHEN you can find a shop...they are REALLY picky as they are the only guys left serving a dwindling market.....the bumper needs to be worked BEFORE they will do the chrome.
HarveyH
Been awhile since I had a copy, but Hemmings listed several dozen chromers throughout the country. Had my 50 Studebaker done at Martins in Philadelphia and I wasn't impressed by the work. Too much grinding the base metal and not enough copper plating and grinding to fill the pits.
Harvey
KevinP
You can try Spacecoast Plating, I believe they are in Melbourne, FL. I have a buddy into the hotrod thing and I think he told me there's a place in LA called "BumperBoyz" I can't tell you anything about them but Spacecoast does a great job.

KP
Dr Evil
Lemon Grove platers in National City, CA may work for you. I have never had anything rechromed, though.
neo914-6
I recall a guy in AUS had them done inexpensively and a group "buy" to save on shipping was discussed but never done.

Olav had his fixed and rechromed at a shop in San Jose. Too bad you cannot PM him anymore...
913B
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 4 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Alternatively, does anyone know of a place in the LA area that is good at rechroming?

-Tony

Hi Tony, Rotary 14 buddy here, my friend just got his done locally in San Pedro. He was happy with it.

Hi Rusty, dont know if they do mail order though.

Joe Bob
You CAN PM via the Pelican board.

olava1@yahoo.com

Is the registered email.

Tell him I said HI!
Bleyseng
PM Craig@CAMP914 as the bumpers he has rechromed are super nice.
r_towle
I second that one.
If you are doing this from over there...let Craig handle the details...his stuff looks great..

Rich
davesprinkle
For those of you in the Orange County, CA area, you should check out South Bay Chrome in Santa Ana. They straightened and rechromed my front bumper for $250. The result is worth every penny, although I should say that they could improve their scheduling -- the delivery for my bumper slipped 2 weeks. (No big deal, really, in the big scheme of things -- my 914 has been down for a decade now. Is a coupla weeks really gonna play a big role here? Don't think so...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.