Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: DeMatta Critically Injured
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
I was checking the Speed TV site and ran across this article about Cristiano DeMatta. It seems that during testing at Road America his champ car struck a deer. The deer ended up in the cockpit, injuring DeMatta. This is very sad. I hope he recovers.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/30253/

Several years ago at an ALMS Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta, I watched as a deer ran across the track during the race. The deer was obviously spooked from the noise, cars and crowd, but it managed to cross the track and jump a spectator fence without being hit by the racing cars. Very scary.
URY914
Damn! sad.gif
GeorgeRud
Elkhart Lake has 8 foot high chain link fences around the track property, but that is not enough it seems.

We have a cottage in Wisconsin, and every time I have to drive up there at dusk or at night, I no longer push the speed limit at all because of several near misses with deer (they look VERY large from the 914 driver's seat).

Hopefully he will be OK, our prayers can't hurt any!
bernbomb914
I remember back in the 70s at a IMSA event at Lime Rock someone hit a deer on the back straight. very messy

Bernie
McMark
I HATE DEER, HERE'S WHY!

Kill em all. mad.gif

A deer hit my girlfriends super original 912 too. flipa.gif
GWN7
Not Bambi........

first you fighting19.gif then sawzall-smiley.gif then jsharp.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 4 2006, 05:47 AM) *

I was checking the Speed TV site and ran across this article about Cristiano DeMatta. It seems that during testing at Road America his champ car struck a deer. The deer ended up in the cockpit, injuring DeMatta. This is very sad. I hope he recovers.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/30253/

Several years ago at an ALMS Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta, I watched as a deer ran across the track during the race. The deer was obviously spooked from the noise, cars and crowd, but it managed to cross the track and jump a spectator fence without being hit by the racing cars. Very scary.

OMG! That's horrible! Being a big fan of Champ cars because of the Long Beach Grand Prix, I have met Christiano a few times.....really nice guy and a great driver!

Thanks for the info........he'll be in my prayers for sure!

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
Toast
sad.gif

hands.gif
STL914
THis is a tragic event in Champ Car racing. Deer/car accidents hves always been a huge problem in Wisconsin, but not on a closed circuit lake Road America.

I have several friends as well as relatives that have suffered quite a bit of damage to their vehicles, and have all walked away unhurt.

A couple who used to work for me back in Wisconsin had an encounter on their way to work one morning many years ago. Driving their Fiero, they hit not a deer, but a cow that had managed to get out of its fenced in pasture. The cow was killed, the couple were both slightly injured and the car was completely totaled. Only in Wisconsin!!
maf914
I just read the following from Dave Philips commentary at Speed TV, 8/8/06:

Of infinitely more gravity, of course, is the fact that 2002 Champ Car champion, former Toyota F1 driver and current RuSPORT Champ Car driver Cristiano da Matta suffered potentially fatal head injuries when his car hit a deer during a Champ Car test at Road America last week. Da Matta was life-flighted from Road America to Theda Clarke Medical Center in Neenah, WI where surgeons operated to remove a blood clot on his brain. Although Cristiano has remained unconscious since the accident, Champ Car Medical Director Dr. Chris Pinderski and attending physician, Dr. Randall R. Johnson, sounded an optimistic note today when they said da Matta "continues to improve" and released the following statement:

"Cristiano continues to make slow but steady progress while in the Intensive Care Unit at Theda Clark Medical Center. At this point in his recovery, Dr. Johnson has begun to decrease Cristiano's sedation. The care Cristiano has been receiving has been excellent and he'll remain in the Intensive Care Unit while his condition and progress are being monitored."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.