Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Get more power from your turbo suby 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turbo914v8
Found the ultimate bolt on turbo upgrade for the Suby powered 914. Keep in mind no turbo system is ever just bolt on. blink.gif headbang.gif

Turbo upgrade
ninefourteener
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Aug 4 2006, 05:29 AM) *

Found the ultimate bolt on turbo upgrade for the Suby powered 914. Keep in mind no turbo system is ever just bolt on. blink.gif headbang.gif

Turbo upgrade

Sure...... just bolt it right on.....

After you install a downpipe and exhaust
Upgrade to a Walbro fuel pump
Upgrade to 750cc injectors
Convert your intercooler to a different location
Modify all the hoses, lines, and brackets surrounding the turbo
Buy an engine management system and have it pro-tuned

Oh yea... and fork over over $4000---LOL

Those Greddys are no joke though
turbo914v8
Yep, it cost money to play with turbos. But still 750 HP. happy11.gif idea.gif
jonwatts
It says the turbo is good for 750 HP, doesn't say the engine is good for that much. That turbo is waaaaay too big for a 2.0 or 2.5 suby 4 banger. (but that won't prevent kids from trying it)
SLKWrx
Do you really need that much more power in a 1 ton car? Plus, if you were going to upgrade, you would go with a much cheaper turbo (IHI VF-34 or a few others) that doesn't necessitate a fuel upgrade and work with the same flanges.

I shudder to think what a USDM STi engine with a turbo upgrade would do in a 914.
turbo914v8
I have seen, driven in, a few rally WRX's with crazy turbo upgrades. Let me tell you these things pull like snot and with the big ass turbo. No you don’t need that much more power in a 1 ton car. But believe me its fun. Yes I am sick. cool.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Aug 4 2006, 07:42 AM) *

Do you really need that much more power in a 1 ton car? Plus, if you were going to upgrade, you would go with a much cheaper turbo (IHI VF-34 or a few others) that doesn't necessitate a fuel upgrade and work with the same flanges.

I shudder to think what a USDM STi engine with a turbo upgrade would do in a 914.

No doubt...

I've already upgraded to a 4-inch downpipe, a 3-inch catless exhaust, and a Cobb Accessport with a stage 2 tune (285 HP)

My next upgrade is an effective, yet cost efficient STI intercooler, and a VF-39 Turbo. Total cost will be under $1000, and put me at 330 HP. More than enough for a daily driver.

Of course.... thats in my WRX.

In a 914? That would be just STUPID-twisted fast. smile.gif
WRX914
I am running stock 2.0 with stock turbo and intercooler in my 914. I am taking it to the speedway next weekend to have it professionally tuned. The only mods I have are custom up and down pipes intake and custom exhaust system. He is going to reflash my computer and should see gains at the rear wheels of somewhere between 24-30 hp. So I should be very close or slightly above the 300 hp mark.

burnout.gif
914_1.8t
A GT40r in a 2.0L WRX will be extremely laggy...take a look at this dyno of a smaller GT35r it on a larger 2.5L STI motor:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.p...ght=sti+pistons

Imagine the lag and narrow powerband a GT40r would put down on a 2.0L engine...but it would be fun as hell.

I'm choosing to run a 35r on my 2.7T project....but it was a tough decision to not go with the GT40r.

Randal
[quote name='ninefourteener' post='745227' date='Aug 4 2006, 09:13 AM']
[quote name='SLKWrx' post='745206' date='Aug 4 2006, 07:42 AM']

[/quote]

No doubt...

I've already upgraded to a 4-inch downpipe, a 3-inch catless exhaust, and a Cobb Accessport with a stage 2 tune (285 HP)

My next upgrade is an effective, yet cost efficient STI intercooler, and a VF-39 Turbo. Total cost will be under $1000, and put me at 330 HP. More than enough for a daily driver.

330HP with only a $1,000 upgrade?

What does that motor weigh?

If it's light, it just might be the perfect motor for a serious 914 hillclimb car.
nebreitling
Randal: already semi-planning on it. once the 2056 blows....
WRX914
Do not know the actual weight of the 2.0, but a friend and I can easily lift the complete engine. And no, I am not a musclehead. 6' and about 175lbs...
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Aug 4 2006, 07:54 AM) *

Yep, it cost money to play with turbos. But still 750 HP. happy11.gif idea.gif

750HP?? fun to talk about... but 550HP ago was where you would have left your transaxle on the side of the road...
Downunderman
And when the 2.0 Suby motor gets to around 450hp the head studs stretch and have to be replaced with larger diameter ones. Then 600hp is possible, but its a bit of grenade.
TravisNeff
the suby -4 engine is about the same (maybe 20-40lbs lighter) as a type 4 engine. burnout.gif
turboman808
I would totaly be happy with 400hp. I see a wrx motor in my future.
ninefourteener

If it's light, it just might be the perfect motor for a serious 914 hillclimb car.
[/quote]

Well, not exactly....... my 06 WRX is rated at 230 HP, but in actuality, it performed around the 240HP (12 lbs of boost) range on the COBB tuning dyno.

I've already spent about $1100....... $650 for a COBB Accessport reflash tuner (currently running a stage 2 program), and $450 for a full turboback exhaust. Currently running 15 lbs of boost.

For ANOTHER $1000, I can purchase a VF-39 Turbo (Standard on WRX STIs), and an STI intercooler. On average, they go for "about" $450 and $320 respectively..... many times on units with less than 5000 miles.

(Those STI guys buy their cars and tear em apart to upgrade almost immediately... so the parts are cheap)

I can reflash my accessport (free to download) to run a 93 Octane, stage 3 program with the 2 above mentioned upgrades, and I'm at 330HP.

Now..... this is only on an 06 WRX. The 06s came with 2.5 Liter engines, all earlier WRXs came with 2.0s, and to do the same upgrades, would require a bigger fuel pump and injector. Mine doesn't. My fuel system can support a VF-39 without modification. That'll put me at 17.5 lbs of boost.

I'll be there by the end of the year. smile.gif
guiltless
Good luck getting a pleasant 400 hp out of the 2.0. Lag will be crazy, and when the turbo kicks in you will just spin your tires. And then, everything will break. The internals can't really handle that for very long (USDM). The 2.5 is the motor to use. $3000 gets you 300hp and 300 ft/lbs STOCK.

Even the race guys don't recommend too much above 450hp on a stock internal 2.5.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(guiltless @ Aug 4 2006, 12:59 PM) *

Good luck getting a pleasant 400 hp out of the 2.0. Lag will be crazy, and when the turbo kicks in you will just spin your tires. And then, everything will break. The internals can't really handle that for very long (USDM). The 2.5 is the motor to use. $3000 gets you 300hp and 300 ft/lbs STOCK.

Even the race guys don't recommend too much above 450hp on a stock internal 2.5.

---Agreed...... I'm stopping at 330. Anything more than that... then I'd have to start getting into clutch upgrades, fuel system upgrades, lower reliability, lower driveability, lower fuel efficiency, etc.

Once I get to a stage 3...... then maybe I'll tinker with the suspension a little... but I'm done as far as engine upgrades are concerned. After all, this is my daily driver... Hell, I drive my kid to school in it every day smile.gif
TonyAKAVW
The guys at Outback Motors build up really powerful Subaru motors for sand rails. Their web site has some interesting stuff on it, and as you exceed 300-400 HP, prices start going up really high as jsut about everything internal gets replaced. Even the block.

http://www.outbackmotors.com/400hp_setup.htm

400 HP - $13,000
500 HP - $16,000

They also make a 600 HP engine but don't list the price.

-Tony
Crazyhippy
I'm having outback dyno tune my car shortly. They seem to know their stuff.

The fuel pump recomended by Renegade flows more than the "upgrade" in wrx's so that's taken care of, and there is a way to modify stock injectors to flow HUGE numbers for cheap. Bolt on a vf39 and go... Much bigger you run into LAG issues. Do need to have a decent person tuning once you get there to get big #'s and still be driveable day to day.

Turbo 914's are so much fun:D

BJH
Amenson
I have been working and lurking for a while now but this tread drew me out. I can't wait to experience 914 turbo power....

IPB Image

...'05 STi engine going in happy11.gif . No plans to upgrade…unless someone has a 5 speed lsd 930 trans sitting around.

More to come once I get one more bracket for the engine mount fabbed and installed. Should have been done last night but the plasma cutter did not have enough power to cut 1/4" steel.

Scott
TravisNeff
holy crap! 2.5 STI will be a hoot, please post more pics and details! popcorn[1].gif
TonyAKAVW
NICE!!!! Thats the first STi I've heard of going into a 914. You'll have to let us know how you deal with the throttle-by-wire, the key lock system and the intercooler.

Those exhaust primary tubes look familiar smile.gif

Welcome to the club!

-Tony
fiid
I see y'all are starting to get it smile.gif

I only have 7lbs of boost and no intercooler... and it's still stupid fast...

Of course - I also have no coolant - DOH!
turbo914v8
I should have named this thread Boost Head. Lol biggrin.gif
Some great information and great ideas. That’s why I love this non-club.
Mueller
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Aug 7 2006, 07:36 PM) *

I should have named this thread Boost Head. Lol biggrin.gif
Some great information and great ideas. That’s why I love this non-club.

Paul, what are you doing looking at those "puny" 4 bangers when you got that monster V8 Turbo car???? biggrin.gif
SLKWrx
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 4 2006, 09:17 AM) *

No doubt...

Looks like I'll be investing in a hood lock for my STI smile.gif Actually, its been hard having a 914 with no motor in it yet, and an STI that has a yummy 300 hp block that would fit just perfectly in the teener.

What are the rules about turning your Daily Driver into a parts car? smile.gif

-- Steve
GWN7

Looks like I'll be investing in a hood lock for my STI smile.gif Actually, its been hard having a 914 with no motor in it yet, and an STI that has a yummy 300 hp block that would fit just perfectly in the teener.

What are the rules about turning your Daily Driver into a parts car? smile.gif

-- Steve
[/quote]

Just don't tell the wife biggrin.gif
turboman808
You can't use the Subaru transmission with the swap?
SLKWrx
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 8 2006, 08:20 AM) *

If only you could! A beefy 6-speed mated to the 2.5L, thats just heavenly. If you could just steal the brembos and the goofy looking wing/hood scoop combo, you'd have created a VW-Porsche 914 STi

Throw in some wheels/tires made here in the US and you've now incorporated the three major markets into one frankenporsche
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Aug 8 2006, 09:20 AM) *

You CAN...it's being done right now...in fact there is some sorta Subaru based mid-engine sportscar in Aus. that uses the subu motor bolted to the subu transmission, for a few hundred bucks you convert the AWD transmission to FWD only.

Most people use the 901 transmission 'cause it's "easy" biggrin.gif
Brian Mifsud
[/quote]

Most people use the 901 transmission 'cause it's "easy" biggrin.gif
[/quote]

yep....EASY to find all the shattered pieces when it goes boom......

sure must be fun gettin' there though.....
drive-ability
I have to say whatever configuration, via 4, 6, 8 cylinder these cars are fun when you have some power. I drive my car every day everywhere and when I am forced to drive my others I am just amazed how slow they accelerate. When I get on the freeway I normally quick shift to 4th gear and just go. Around town I don't use 2nd gear. Trying to rest a gear or two at times. beerchug.gif I love my V8 but I think the SUBI may be even better given the total car make up. beerchug.gif
Turbos when set up correctly are just amazing how they can boost power. Its a quiet build of horsepower with a sledge hammer kick. Just ask Turbo914V8 beerchug.gif
nsyr
I've been using the 2wd suby transmission in my 914 for about six months now and it works great. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.