Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone want to build an autonomous 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
https://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/overview.htm

ohmy.gif

-Tony
Aaron Cox
My dad and uncle are considering the same darpa challenge using an H1 hummer....still in thought process...must be able to climb rocks and go offroad..not exactl;y 914 territory.....
airsix
I don't like autonomous off-road vehicles. They smell bad, scare easy, and run off with your pack.

-Ben (grew up with horses)
Aaron Cox
what if you were to use a baja bug? lifted, no ground clearance problems, lots of cockpit room, extremely simple! Extremely reliable! what else could you want? a hovercraft? lol
mueba.gif
r_towle
Has anyone ever built an all wheel drive 914???

Is it possible?
I was thinking about a rally car out of a 914...

What I want is
914/2.0
914/electric
914/8
and a 914 4 wheel drive

I might sound crazy, but slowly the collection has started to get bigger..

Rich
Dave_Darling
You can do anything, with sufficient application of a welder and a plasma cutter.

But making a 4WD 914 would be a cast-iron bitch. Note where the transmission is--in the back. Note what is in the way of anything going from the transmission to the front wheels--the engine, and for that matter the whole freaking car... Not a job I'd wish on anyone.

Hey, wait... SammyG--"You can't make an AWD 914!"

Heh, now Sammy will build it! wink.gif If he's not too busy being a Concours Weenie....

--DD
Mike D.
The vehicle would have no driver. So there is no point in having the passenger compartment. Cut it out and that is where the heavy duty 4x trans. will sit. - biggrin.gif
-Mike D.
Dave_Darling
Kewl!! What about the engine? We gonna throw that away too? rolleyes.gif

--DD
Mike D.
DD, well yeah...We throw out the 1.7 from the doner car to make room for the 6.6 L diesel. - blink.gif
-Mike D.
TonyAKAVW
What about a second 914 engine and a 911 transmission driving the front wheels?

-Tony
Sammy
Damn, beat me to it, the second engine thing that is. I was thinking more along the lines of a VW 1.8 wasserpumper and trans installed in the front. Cheeep to do parts wize, adds weight but more than doubles the HP :- )

Shifting might be a chore, I'd stick to the auto trans in the front. It would just have to keep up with the back and versa visa.
JeffBowlsby
Here is a shot of a Baja 914: There is more on my Collectibles website at the link below
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.