Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you expect of a 914, with a 4-cylinder engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
What would you expect of a 914, with a 4-cylinder engine, in the following price range?

0000 - 1500

1501 - 3000

3001 - 5000

5001 - 6500

6501 - 8500

8500 -> unlimited

-- Rob
r_towle
rust
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 4 2006, 09:48 PM) *

What would you expect of a 914, with a 4-cylinder engine, in the following price range?
Joe's response

0000 - 1500 POS

1501 - 3000 Trouble some driver

3001 - 5000 Could be a nice car with some TLC

5001 - 6500 Sweet ride

6501 - 8500 Near perfect

8500 -> unlimited Better be rare and in perfect unrestored shape

-- Rob

Rob what are you up to? Don't go sellin the red car till I get dibs.
terrymason
I'd say that anything over 3000 should have a state inspectection, anything over 6000 should be rust free.

From an east coast guy.
Brando
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 4 2006, 07:48 PM) *

These are my own values of the condition I would consider to price as such.

0000 - 1,500*
Parts car or a roller, needing a lot of work. Or a good chassis "to start with", and to start with, maybe some long and hell hole repair and a paintjob. Possibly drive-able, but the question is: would you want to?

*A 1976 car in California, any condition.

1,501 - 3,000
A running 4-cylinder car. Stability of running-ness may vary. Paint should be at least a 20-footer (and matching). Might be bondo in them thar fendars too, but at 20 feet you can't tell what's magnetic. Expect some rust repair. You're lucky to get either the appearance group OR the performance group. Also add an original six chassis in this group depending on condition.

3,001 - 5,000
A good/decent running car with a matching paintjob and minimal to no bondo. Maybe a bit of rust in the not-so-visible areas: trunks, with minor hell hole/long rust. Interior should be OK, maybe the dash would need work and the seats might have some tears, but overall it should be comfortable to drive and not have any major problems aside from small things: brakes, shocks, bushings. It should also be complete. This is also the starting price bracket of a "poor/good" complete six cylinder car.

5,001 - 8,500
A complete, decent running 6 cylinder car in good shape -- maybe a 2.4 or 2.7, maybe a stocker 3.0 SC conversion. Also a very good condition 4 cylinder 914. Maintainance records if you're lucky, at least complete with a matching paintjob, all major rust repaired (or none) and a straight, no-bondo body. Good interior, loaded with center console and suspension goodies. Would also have a great running stock engine, maybe a little bigger carbed engine (2.1, 2.2). Everything works, no gremlin, and no major repairs needed.

8,501 - 10,000
A complete running 6 cylinder car in great shape. Possibly an original 6 that's clean inside and out, or a fully restored six conversion on the high side. I also throw in complete, great running 4-cylinder cars with no noticeable problems, electrical woes or running issues. Paint would be either great quality original or a recent well-done respray. Expect a toolkit, an excellent shape original engine OR bigger-than-stock motor that is reliable and in great shape. Would need upgraded suspension goodies or excellent shape stock stuff.

10,001 - 25,000
On the low side, a concours ready stock 914. The middle, a loaded track car OR a restored six with a big motor transplant. On the high side would be a fully decked out and race-ready track car, or an original flat 8 laugh.gif
watsonrx13
Brando, thanks for the detail, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Joe, no way am I going to sell 'our' red car....

Rich, thanks for nothing.... biggrin.gif

My intent was to try to set expectations. I've seen several posting/ads looking for a 914 under $2500, minimal rust, runs good, etc. Yea, I'd buy those cars everyday they're available.

I believe that the market for our cars has increased their value significantly in the past 2-3 years. But, if someone is trying to sell their car at $10,000, now we have an idea what that car would be.

-- Rob
GWN7
I agree with Brando on the first three prices/decriptions and the last one, but have to disagree on the rest and the starting point for a 6. I have seen a 6 sell here that needed a paint job and a few small issues for $8500 four years ago. The same car which needed a whole bunch more work commanded $12K now. There were two 6 rollers that sold in the last 6 months that went for 2.5K and 3.5K and they needed everything done to them.

As with anything it's all in how the item is sold/marketed that will determine it's value.

It used to be "What kind of car can I get for 4-5K?" and the answer was a near perfect 4. That same car will cost 8-9K now. With special interest cars (low mileage, special colour) bringing a 20-30% premimum over that.
Dominic
[quote name='watsonrx13' date='Aug 4 2006, 07:48 PM' post='745639']

0000 - 1500 Parts Car

1501 - 3000 POS with rust

3001 - 5000 Starter car that needs work

5001 - 6500 Nice Reliable Driver

6501 - 8500 Top notch driver with perfect mechanicals and interior

8500 - 12000 Perfect mechanicals, Paint, and Interior (Restored or Unmolested)

12000 -15000 Concours / Perfect Example (again Unmolested)

Again just My $.02, but these cars will continue to increase in value every year as they have been. If you want to factor in all the cars that are being chopped up, molested and converted, you can bet than an unmolested original car will be pretty rare in the future.
terrymason
I think there is a huge difference in buying a car in CA versus FL.
JPB
Dollar figures are almost useless since you can get a good "starting base" car for 2-5K needing next to no body work and running. What do I mean? What you need is alot of time. You have to have the patience to wait until the right deal comes along. If you want one right now, then the above figures are applicable. 5K is what you should expect to pay for a car which runs, looks decent and has mostly stock parts IF picked up within 300 miles from home. I say get one runnig as cheap as you can and fiberglass it with all the best parts under the sun. Look at it's structural soundness and the floors as well as the HH. Your best bet is getting like 3 cars for the price of an okay one to get a good one out of them. You will have alot of extra parts and much to sell for a little $$$$. All you need is time and patience.

beer.gif You will also need time to play with it!
watsonrx13
How much would you add to the price of the car?

1. Rebuilt Eric Shea front and rear calipers with new discs and pads

2. Turbo tie-rods

3. Refreshed fuel tank

4. Fuch wheels, Gas burners

5. MSD ignition, coil, distributor, plug wires

-- Rob
kenikh
QUOTE(Brando @ Aug 4 2006, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 4 2006, 07:48 PM) *

These are my own values of the condition I would consider to price as such.

8,501 - 10,000
A complete running 6 cylinder car in great shape. Possibly an original 6 that's clean inside and out, or a fully restored six conversion on the high side. I also throw in complete, great running 4-cylinder cars with no noticeable problems, electrical woes or running issues. Paint would be either great quality original or a recent well-done respray. Expect a toolkit, an excellent shape original engine OR bigger-than-stock motor that is reliable and in great shape. Would need upgraded suspension goodies or excellent shape stock stuff.

10,001 - 25,000
On the low side, a concours ready stock 914. The middle, a loaded track car OR a restored six with a big motor transplant. On the high side would be a fully decked out and race-ready track car, or an original flat 8 laugh.gif

The /6 prices sound off to me, but I am just a 914 noob. All of the killer (real) 914/6s I see for sale are in the $25K - $30K range. Can a fully restored conversion really be found for $10K?
Toast
I expect it to run.

av-943.gif
Stieve
I will sell mine!
watsonrx13
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 5 2006, 04:31 PM) *

2. Turbo tie-rods

3. Refreshed fuel tank

-- Rob

So since I haven't gotten any response from this section I can assume either everyone has been too busy to respond to this post or no one cares about these 'upgrades' to the above listed prices....

-- Rob
GWN7
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 6 2006, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 5 2006, 04:31 PM) *

2. Turbo tie-rods

3. Refreshed fuel tank

-- Rob

So since I haven't gotten any response from this section I can assume either everyone has been too busy to respond to this post or no one cares about these 'upgrades' to the above listed prices....

-- Rob

Fuchs on one side, gas burners on the other? or two sets (4) of each? four bolt or 5?

Used parts are worth 50% 0n the $1.00. They don't add much when on a car forsale. It just means that some upgrades are done that the next owner won't have to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.