Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignments done at home.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPB
I have seen some hotroder's home alignments done with these cool duhickies that wrap around the tires. All one needs to do is read a tape measure and voila! As for the camber, I guess all one needs is an angle finder that can be used on the individual rims on an even floor. All I was wondering is if anyone here does this and with what tools/equipment? Where can we get what we need to do this and where can we find a good chart for toe and camber for specific applications?

beer.gif We need links for god sakes, trinkets, toys, can't go at it Handsolo OB1!
race914
Here's the equipment I know of at Smart Racing Products

Also some good info in "How to Make your Car Handle"

Hope this helps! I'm sure other members have some good stuff too
Dominic
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 5 2006, 08:54 AM) *

I have seen some hotroder's home alignments done with these cool duhickies that wrap around the tires. All one needs to do is read a tape measure and voila! As for the camber, I guess all one needs is an angle finder that can be used on the individual rims on an even floor. All I was wondering is if anyone here does this and with what tools/equipment? Where can we get what we need to do this and where can we find a good chart for toe and camber for specific applications?

beer.gif We need links for god sakes, trinkets, toys, can't go at it Handsolo OB1!

JPB,
How far are you from Williamsburg? I do my own alignments in the garage, I use a digital camber gauge from Smart Racing Products for the camber (piece of cake on a 914) and a run strings along the side of the car to do the toe adjustment. I wrote a detailed DIY post a while back on this board when someone asked a similar question. You may be able to do a search and find the post.
Anyway, I would be happy to do a DIY demo at my house on your 914 sometime in late September or October when the weather gets nicer and I get back from my trip. Of course I'm going to tell you to first install the Turbo Tie rod kit to make the Toe alignment MUCH easier....trust me when you see how old and rusted your original tie rods are on your car and how stubborn they are to adjust, you'll understand.
Let me know,
Dominic
john rogers
You might want to get my article from the Pelican site. The dimensions are set for 15 inch wheels though.
sixnotfour
This guys been doin it for years and has a DIY, porsche related booklet
from pelican
Ray's email is raystrax@yahoo.com

If you want to send $10, send to:
Ray Scruggs
101 Ridge Rd.
San Anselmo, CA 94960

Anyone here know Ray ? he autocrossed a silver 914-6 in the 90's
Dominic
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 5 2006, 11:01 AM) *

from pelican

Ray Scruggs
101 Ridge Rd.
San Anselmo, CA 94960

agree.gif This is the book I use, Excellent and simple instructions.
anthony

from pelican

Ray Scruggs
101 Ridge Rd.
San Anselmo, CA 94960

I didn't think he was still in this business. His booklet, I believe, was posted in the Pelican 911 forum.

One can duplicate the Smart Racing digital camber gauge by using the same Smart Tools module:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225AL/

If you have 5 lug Fuchs you can take the center cap and put the Smart Tool gauge right on wheel itself. Or, you could get a piece of straight aluminum stock and cut to the diameter of your wheel. A lot cheaper than $250 for the Smart Camber thing.
mskala
I do mine, although not very frequently. Needed to do all 4 after installing
plastic suspension bushings in rear.

I'm lucky enough to have a flat garage floor (ie without drain). I used some
salvaged deck boards that I knew were straight rather than strings. The
challenge is to get the thrust angle right, rest is straightforward.
Dominic
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 5 2006, 08:54 AM) *

I found the post I made way back when........here you go!

You can measure the toe-in very easily by running a set of strings or thread along the sides of the car, similar to the smart strings idea from smart racing products. You can do it cheap by using 4 heavy objects like jack stands to string the thread from. Get the string hieght centered on the wheels (i use the middle of the center caps). The trick is to make sure the strings are straight, since the front and rear track (width) of the 914 are different. The rear is 40mm wider than the front, so in order for the strings to be straight they would have to be 20mm further away on the front wheel, than in the rear. Do you follow me?
Then set the left front wheel (using the steering wheel) so that the measurement is the same on both sides of the rim (left is at 0 toe, perfectly straight)
Go to the right side (assuming that you have loosened the tie rod ends on the right) and adjust it so the front of the right rim is about 1/8" more than the rear of the right front rim (TOE IN).
(this is much easier with a set of turbo tie rod ends)
I use a machinist ruler when I make my measurements and can get this as accurate as any alignment monkey.

Now as far as the camber....Do yourself a favor and spend the $200.00 on the digital camber gauge from smart racing products.
Also spot on when done correctly. I zero out the gauge on the flat plane where my front tires will be sitting then just go to each side of the car and adjust the camber with the 3 allen head bolts at the top of the strut under the front lid.

Then treat yourself to a beer for all that money and hassle you saved by doing it yourself!
beerchug.gif
JPB
Great info fellas. Thank you all so much. I hate to have other mechanics touch the car and this will help alot.

beer.gif Chears
JPB
[quote name='Dominic' date='Aug 5 2006, 12:58 PM' post='745844']
[quote name='JPB' post='745826' date='Aug 5 2006, 08:54 AM']

[/quote]

JPB,
How far are you from Williamsburg?

Cool bro. I'm just 1 hour from Williamsburg and it would be great to get together. My car is scheduled to be painted August 28th so it will be a while until I can get it to ya. I apreciate the invite and hope we can do this thing soon. I'll get Turbo tirods since yes mine are over due from the rust.LOL

beer.gif
Kerrys914
Interesting method by Dominic?? I sounds like you ned to have the alignment close to do it this way. Wouldn't you want the steering rack to be centered in its stroke when the wheels are STRAIGHT? If the left side was off you might not be right when you zero out the left side.?? Maybe I am thinking too had about this..

I'll check mine tomorrow to see what mine measures.

Alignment party in Williamsburg anyone smile.gif
Dr Evil
Thanks, this is just in time! smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling

Yup, nice silver Six. I remember when he bent it autoXing (slid off-course at the Sonoma County Airport site into a ditch); and I remember that the autoXers later donated money and wound up paying for the repair!!

After he sold the Six, he drove a water-pumper for a while. Evidently he got out of autoXing (or at least Porsche autoXing) alltogether after that...

--DD
Kerrys914
FYI from Ray just mins ago

"Hi Kerry,

I'm in process of editing a new electronic version of "Home Alignment for Porsche" but it is not completed, no illustrations scanned, and more detail to do. It is not ready for distribution."

cheers

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.