Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad GT flare install? Look at the front flare....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Car is being used for an advertisment for bodywork and paint on Craigslist..... blink.gif

I don't think it's the angle or that the car is too high.....I'd be pissed if it was my car and it looked that unbalanced headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
fiid
It looks to me like the wheel is to far forward... Bent A-arm or something?

bondo
My GT flares look a little off too. I think it's "normal" to have the wheel a little to the front of the opening, but probably not THAT much. I have a "24 Heurs Du Mans" poster, and it looks a little off center there too. Can't get much more authentic than that. smile.gif
BenT
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 11:30 AM) *

Car is being used for an advertisment for bodywork and paint on Craigslist..... blink.gif

I don't think it's the angle or that the car is too high.....I'd be pissed if it was my car and it looked that unbalanced headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Ouch, it does look funky. It's Joe's car from Livermore. He got it, it came with poorly installed fiberglass flares. He had the steel ones installed. Maybe they installed the flares to the same opening the FB ones came off. It looked ok in person. It was in a tight garage so I did not get a good side view like in the pic.

I'm not sure if the guy who did the body paint also did the body. I went to see this car in person in the process of considering the painter for one of my cars. Not too bad but not too good either IMHO. The paint or maybe the clearcoat looks too thick in places. Maybe it needs color sanding or something.

I met Joe from an Ebay deal. I bought his MSDS Inc. engine install kit for VW Vanagons. Joe bought Marty's (Mr. MSDS himself) Vanagon Syncro with a 3.2 Carerra engine. I got the kit. Joe put the 3.2 in the blue 1970 914-6 in the pic.

BenT
Mueller
that is Joes cars???

opps... smile.gif

I've seen the car many times, of course it was on jack stands or the rotissery(sp?)

I think he or his brothers installed the flares...

wonder if he and his brothers will still talk to me??? blink.gif
BenT
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 11:51 AM) *

that is Joes cars???

opps... smile.gif

I've seen the car many times, of course it was on jack stands or the rotissery(sp?)

I think he or his brothers installed the flares...

wonder if he and his brothers will still talk to me??? blink.gif

Yep, that's his car. Joe didn't even know the painter was using his car on the ads until I told him a months or so ago. He seems pretty satisfied with the painter's work. He said he delivered it to the painter on a rotisserie. Painter is in some private garage somewhere in Oakland. I've only seen the car painted though reassembled in various stages, so have no idea who installed the flares. It's done now. Nice interior but a little on the light side for me. His new sport mufflers won't be making the neighbors happy.

BenT
Mueller
I'll have to stop by his house in Livermore and see the car in person....I'll be adding steel GT flares soon (this is why I was checking out the alignment of the flares so much) and then I need to get a paint job....I'm not looking forward to getting the qoutes for a paint job
BenT
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 12:15 PM) *

I'll have to stop by his house in Livermore and see the car in person....I'll be adding steel GT flares soon (this is why I was checking out the alignment of the flares so much) and then I need to get a paint job....I'm not looking forward to getting the qoutes for a paint job

I'm thinking about flares. I just got this 914-6. I still can't decide to go wide or stock. Needs a paintjob too. I am not looking forward to paint quotes either.

BenT
neo914-6
QUOTE(BenT @ Aug 5 2006, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 5 2006, 12:15 PM) *

I'm thinking about flares. I just got this 914-6. I still can't decide to go wide or stock. Needs a paintjob too. I am not looking forward to paint quotes either.

BenT

Mike,

Check out his work"soon", I'm within 3 weeks of body and paint.

Ben,

it's good to see your posts! I spoke to Marty Thursday, he's too busy to post these days.

Felix
JPB
Ouchy! Not the poster perfect shot there.LOL I bet he gives great deals though.LOL

beer.gif After a twelve pack, it looks centernderned then hell.
PRS914-6
Mike, wern't you thinking of being a wimp and only installing the rears? Check this Ebay 914, it has only rears click here

BenT

[/quote]

Ben,

it's good to see your posts! I spoke to Marty Thursday, he's too busy to post these days.

Felix
[/quote]

Good to see you here, Felix. Love the neo914. I decided to keep the 73 /04 and now this 70 /6. Remember that silly incident with 75 with the 911T engine and the /4 priced at $914? I gave away all my 914 stuff until I got these last two cars. No regrets as I now have much cleaner cars to start from.

All my best,

BenT
East coaster
Probably made them align with the flared rockers and they are not exactly a good reference! confused24.gif
GWN7
QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 5 2006, 07:15 PM) *

Probably made them align with the flared rockers and they are not exactly a good reference! confused24.gif

That's what I thought too.... agree.gif
drive-ability
I think the car looks like the steering is slightly going right, having said that overall sounds like a nice 914.
914Sixer
If you use the flared rockers as a reference point for the fenders you will not be centered on the wheels. All the flared rockers are off by about 1-2 inches. I centered my steel flares on the wheel opening. I took a set of AIR flares(pos) and spliced them on another set of fiberglass rockers to make everthing line up.
Phoenix-MN
Click to view attachmentDepends on the rockers that you get. I used the dimensions that were measured off a 916 and a 914GT and everything lined up as it should. Check the dimesions on centering over the wheel opening vs. these. I bought several different sets of rockers before I got ones that were right.

PRS914-6
I bought Getty rockers (still in the box). AA claimed they fit the best with their flares Anyone use the Getty's and how close did they fit? Still a month away from installation though.
dakotaewing
Hey Guys -
It appears to me that the photograph above was not shot from the center of the car, but rather torwards/from the front of the car...
This would definetly give the appearence that the flares were "off" torwards the front of the car - Just go to your own car and look yourself...
Although all the info on this post has been informative, I would like to see a photo of the car shot from a "center" perspective...

just my .02...

Thom
msglaigaie
I was looking at the "pink" 914 with rear flares only, and the side marker lights caught my eye. The "surround" on the lens kinda stuck out. Anybody know what they are?? MSG L

Aaron Cox
here is something to think about..... (only affects rear placement)

ride height, at stock ride height, the trailing arm is poibted downward at a moderate angle.....

when you lower/slam your car, the trailing arm is almost level, and this arc that the trailing arm makes changes the relative position of the wheel in the front/back (X direction) of the car...

so if you measured a car at stock rideheight, the rear fenders would be closer to the door, measure a lowered flared racer, you would see they sit further back.... ((IF THEY ARE CENTERED ON THE WHEEL))

just a little brain storm.

so... maybe the rockers are designed to accomadate the rears at stcok height, and mess up the front placement... i dont know
burton73
What is the right rocker for Georges flares? 914 Sixer said “If you use the flared rockers as a reference point for the fenders you will not be centered on the wheels. All the flared rockers are off by about 1-2 inches. I centered my steel flares on the wheel opening. I took a set of AIR flares (pos) and spliced them on another set of fiberglass rockers to make everything line up.” Phoenix-MN has the drawing with the measurements of body parts. The problem is when I want to put 7 and 9 16in under the body it will not fit unless I pre cut the body. I take it that everything needs to be massaged to fit. If my flares looked like the blue car that I guess is Joes I would be pissed off at least as far as the front fender goes. It looks like the shot is dead on to the front fender. It is a detail like that that I would blame myself. I am bugged where the paint does not match perfect on my 86 blue cab. Carrera. I see it all the time.

Bob Burton
PRS914-6
I used Getty rockers. The dimensions were almost perfect.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 6 2006, 06:20 AM) *

Click to view attachmentDepends on the rockers that you get. I used the dimensions that were measured off a 916 and a 914GT and everything lined up as it should. Check the dimesions on centering over the wheel opening vs. these. I bought several different sets of rockers before I got ones that were right.

this is another one of my "cartoons" showing everyone that I cannot draw! But yes these measurements were taken from our 916 and our m 471 and are as accurate as the factory could make them (notice the discrepency in the measurements!)
BAM
Wow sorry guys, I missed this thread when it first started… Just now getting back into the whole posting thing... You know the kids, work and other stuff...

Yes, Joe is my brother and yes that is a pic of his car the day it was brought home. I’ll try to answer all the questions (well the best I can).

Regarding the flare alignment: The flares were installed by a friend of ours who owned a body shop in Hayward (has since packed up and moved), he has painted all our cars over that last five or six years. He aligned the flares to the tires when he installed them. My opinion is that the fronts may sit back a little, but the picture in the post does not do it justice. Please note that the suspension was put on just to get it to the shop for paint, nothing was tightened or aligned. That may have added to the misalignment in the picture. Some of you may have seen the car at the German Autofest last year, it did quite well…

Yah Mueller, I can’t believe you’re talking about Joe like that… I’m tellin… HaHaHa!!!! We still love ya.

Joe found the Painter on Craig’s List… Young guy, still in school (College of Alameda, learning auto body)… Good kid, works out of a family members shop (not a body shop) in Oakland. The guy is eager to learn and a hard worker just lacks the experience. Joe’s paint came out good, just not excellent. All-in-all the car looks great now that it is done (and out of my garage)… I’ll add a pic at the end of this note.

The interior is a light cream, seats, dash, door panels, with tan carpets… The two tone colors really look good with the Blue exterior.

Yes, we got the 3.2l from Marty’s VW Vanagons, we also installed a set of Marty’s headers. The engine runs great and the car runs hard, lots of fun…

Mark – That is true, we had to do the same thing with our AIR flared rockers. After the flares were installed we spliced the rockers to make everything line up. No big deal…

I hope that answered all the questions… I’ll search for a side shot of the car… Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks JP

Click to view attachment

burton73
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 25 2007, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Aug 6 2006, 06:20 AM) *

this is another one of my "cartoons" showing everyone that I cannot draw! But yes these measurements were taken from our 916 and our m 471 and are as accurate as the factory could make them (notice the discrepency in the measurements!)

Where is the cartoon? Or is Phoenix-Mn cartoons Georges? What rockers do you think we should get George?

Thanks,

Bob
jfort
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 24 2007, 10:11 PM) *

PRS, do you have a picture? what size wheels and tires? what rockers? i am getting started on mine
PRS914-6
QUOTE(jfort @ Jan 26 2007, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 24 2007, 10:11 PM) *

PRS, do you have a picture? what size wheels and tires? what rockers? i am getting started on mine

I'm using 9's in the back (245's) and 951 8's in the front (225's).

Here are a few pics.

FYI.......Everything ties in together on the flare install. You need the front valance and bumper, the rockers and the flares + a rear valance if you use one. (we made one). Try your best to locate the flares where they belong and shuffle the other parts to match. If you move any one part, everything moves. For instance, if you move the front flare, it moves the rocker and front valance which moves the rear flare. The valance is tied to the bumper and on GT applications and if moved it will mess up the alignment of the oil cooler opening and the bumper location. It's a huge juggling game to get it all correct and get the arch in the rockers to match the arch in the flares and still keep it located properly. You won't get it perfect and it will take many hours of work to get it right but it's worth the effort. It's a frustrating experience.....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.