Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crank...crank....crank...finally...oh is that gas following me!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Here's the deal.
My 74 1.8 L-jet has been sitting all summer in the garage becuase of some work I was doing in my driveway. Went to start it today and it cranked and cranked and cranked. I stopped cranking several times to give it a break...very strange, it always starts right-up. Finally it started, ran fine and I began backing out of the driveway and I saw a large puddle of gas and a trail of drips following me. I drove it right back in the garage and turned it off.

Under inspection of the fuel pump (oem location) and hoses connected to it all seemed dry and in good shape. The fuel filter looked real wet and seemed to be the source of the gas. I pulled the filter, but had to order it since no one in town had the filter. Gives me a few days to think about what happened and have a beer3.gif .

So my real question is why did the filter go south, or perhaps just the weakest link.
--too much cranking kept turning the pump on and built up too much pressure?
--filter plugged?
--regulator pressure too high?
--perhaps the filter just sprung a leak?
--some sort of a vapor lock issue--even though car hadn't been running (hot summer days in garage)?
--perhaps my 914 was just missing its jackstands

Appreciate any ideas or feedback...
Thanks,

Joe Bob
Stuff gets old, it cracks. leaks or just don't wanna do shit no more.....ask me about my knees....or my back....or....mys asshole brother....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.