Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project sees the light of day for the first time........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Ok, so maybe not under it's own power just yet, but it made it outside for a little sunshine. After reaching a good break point today, I rolled my car outside to finally get a look at that GT silver in the sun. I must say, it's inspiring to see it in the light of day. Now just a little more wrenching and it goes out under it's own power!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Haven't posted any progress pics of the car in a while. I've been busy working on clutcu and throttle linkages, fabricated/modded a muffer to clear the Wevo trans and provide a center outlet.

I still need to finish up wiring the gauges, fitting the front bumper and air dam, make the piece of shit rockers fit, bleed brakes, fill oil and gas........and go!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Last one...........

Click to view attachment

pek771
eastcoaster:
Your car looks absolutely stunning in that silver color.
Pat
Joe Owensby
Absolutely beautiful.

What type of side mirrors are you using?

Thanks for showing the pictures. Joe
rick 918-S
More on the center exhaust! and what are the wheels from? shocked[1].gif
Allan
That is beautiful!!!

Gonna look even better on the road... driving.gif
PanelBilly
I just came in from working on the rust holes in my doors and turned on the computer...then I see your car. Thanks alot for the inspiration. Now I need to go back out to the garage and get back to work!
grasshopper
OMG! Absolutly Beautiful!!!! agree.gif what are the wheels from?? They look like wheels from a cayenne.
Lou W
agree.gif Very Nice thumb3d.gif
East coaster
Ok.......Mirrors are Miata power version, Wheels are 2003 911 17" (17x9 rear, 17x7 front)

The exhaust was a project in itself. It was a 911 sport muffler of some sort. It had 4 pipes as exits. I cut off the 4 pipes, then I had to remove a big section from the back to clear the Wevo trans. I did some rebaffling and added a section to the rear to re-gain the volume I removed from the backside. The I weld 2 2 1/2" tubes in the center for exits and used a BMW stainless oval twin tube tip. I have an early deep valence and I'm planning on fitting it around the exit. I'm not sure how the muff will work, but what hell ! beer.gif
dekman
Looks beautiful! How are you modifing the muffler for the 915 wevo fit? Pic's? clap56.gif
John
Looks like it does well in the sun. It's similar to what mine will look like come springtime (if time permits) and I quit driving mine.

(I plan on doing flares this winter, I did my engine last winter and am driving it now as a narrow body.)

Silver is really the best color for 914's (followed closely by Signal Orange, then Red)

I do like the wheels as well. Please share what they are from.
East coaster
Billy........keep working, mine was probably as rusty as yours! Here's some iron oxide proof.......

Click to view attachment
Borderline
Looks Great! Who's fiberglass front air damn is that?
East coaster
I should have take pics of the muffler as I was working it, but here's a couple of what I started with and the chunk I had to cut out to clear the Wevo. I'll take some shots of the finished product tomorrow and post them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mountain914
That is one beautiful car !! A high drool factor !! drooley.gif

A stunning looking car, bet it looks good daylight or not...
Aaron Cox
N I C E
East coaster
I think I got the air dam from Sheriden (or is it Sheridan?) racing?? Can't remember for sure.
roadster fan
I am simply not worthy! smiley_notworthy.gif
turboman808
Car looks really good. Think we should trade when your done biggrin.gif
Boojum
Seriously, "stunning" dosen't have enough weight to descrbe your car. I've been thinking that silver would work well on a 914, woah, couldn't be more right! Love the wheels, too!

drooley.gif
Mueller
very nice.....i'm more than jealous dry.gif
markb
clap56.gif
pfierb
And you west coast people thought that the east coast didn't exist!!!!
What a beautiful car.
JPB
To me, any car which has rounded edges must be silver if at all possible and this is the reason. This to me this is the best color and a work of art!!! I'd put the Porsche stikers on the sides because they would look AWSOME!!!! Foragin, moragain, good damn job bro!!

beer.gif I stand fully erect at this marvelous wonder!! Thnk black trim, blaaaaack triiiim.
JPB
Crap at a second look, center oval exhaust? You are such a man whore!!

beer.gif Next thing your gonna say it has 1000Hps.
VegasRacer
Lookin' Good. biggrin.gif

Lookin' Reeeel Good! cool_shades.gif
IanStott
If I am ever lucky enough to see your car close up I promise to bring a napkin so mt drooooolll won't leave a wet spot! What a nice job you have done. Maybe if you are techyyy enough, I'm surely not I can't even post a pic, maybe you could make a post with sound so we can hear your exhaust.

Ian Stott
Moncton
bob174
You know what would also look sweet--aren't there clear front turn signal lenses? Italian or something? I thought I saw them somewhere... Nice ride.
East coaster
I took a couple shots of the muffler for those who requested more info.

The first shot shows the addition to the rear of the muff. It's a piece of 3 1/2" tube slit down the middle to create a 18" length of clam shell to weld onto the original muffler body. I cut away the area of the original muffler where the clam shell mates, adding back to the area I had to remove to clear the tranny.

Click to view attachment

This shot shows the chunk I had to remove on the backside for clearance. I left a decent amount of space between muff and tranny, hopefully enough not to cook the tranny? also in this pic is the muffler mount. I used an original 914 muff mount and cut and welded two extra muffler flanges I ordered to it. This created an independant mount so if I play with different mufflers later I won't have to re-fab a mount.

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Here's a better shot of the mount:

Click to view attachment

Lookin' down the barrel of a gun........

Click to view attachment

I actually opened up the baffling and improved the flow a little while doing this. I would expect the original muff was designed ofr a smaller displacement than a 3.6, so I thought I make it breath a little easier. Hopefully, it doesn't sound too obnoxious!
East coaster
One last pic.........this is the throttle linkage I made. You're pretty much on your own in regards to throttle when you flip the intake on a 3.6. It makes it fit nicely in the engine bay, but puts the throttle linkage in a position where it wants to be pulled straight up. Being how I didn't want to run the cable through the roof and over engine bay, I made an aluminum bellcrank (or partial pulley) to change the motion from up/down to front/rear. I then replaced the 3.6 linkages attaching ball joint with a ball from an extra 914 pedal link. This allowed the use of a 914 pedal link ball cup. The ball cup usually threaded onto the pedal end of a 914 throttle cable and the engine end is just a cylindrical stub, so I drilled the ball end and threaded it for two set scress to clamp the cable end in the ball. Add a trick lightening hole riddled cable braket and viola.....

I hooked it all up and it works smooth as buttuh chowtime.gif

Click to view attachment
drewvw

that muffler is awesome, nice ingenuity! welder.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.