Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw out arm clip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
Pelican Parts claims to be out of stock of this little part that holds the throwout arm onto the ball on the transmission. This (and the cup bushing) are the last pieces I need to get my engine and transmission put together and into the car. I was hoping to have it finished this weekend...

Anyway, does anyone have a good one (not cracked) they are willing to part with (in the LA area)?

Alternatively I was thinking of making something as a substitute. The OEM piece is just a piece of formed steel sheet with a nut welded on. I was thinking that with some effort I could make something out of solid steel, or maybe even aluminum. Any ideas here on what would work? The OEM piece doesn't seem to be really well made, and it seems that a solid plate of metal woudl work better.

-Tony
Aaron Cox
i believe i have an extra clip, and maybe a new ball cup bushing.

but. i aint in LA
Allan
I don't have one but I know the piece you're talking. Seems like it would be easy to replicate but I'm sure someone must have one to spare.

Lot's of scrap trannies out there.
mightyohm
I probably wouldn't try to make a new one just because if I messed up, it is a real pain to get to!

I bet bondo has five or six of them around, and one would fit in an envelope..
TonyAKAVW
A clube member (Thomas) gave me one of the clips today. After I got it home and cleaned off it was cracked in the EXACT same spot. I have a feeling that like the bushing, this part is probably broken in pretty much every 914 thats seen much time on the road.

So I decided to make one from a plate of aluminum. Its much much thicker than the formed steel pieces, but it is aluminum, so I'm not erally sure how long it will last.

-Tony
bondo
Should last forever. This part doesn't do much. The force is on the ball, this just keeps the fork from falling off when you're not pressing on the pedal. I suspect they get cracked from people overshimming the ball, or adding shims behind the cup. If the clutch fork is used at a funny angle or overextended, this piece will see LOTS of force, because it contacts theshaft of the ball. Make sure yours doesn't bind in the full travel of the fork and you'll be fine.
Aaron Cox
hope it works.....

or you will be like me... fluent at tranny changes
TonyAKAVW
Bondo: I think you are right. In both cases there were lots of shims. I tested this part to make sure it doesn't bind through the full travel. I had to file off a little bit, but it works fine.

So in theory with a new flywheel, clutch disc, PP, and TO bearing, as well as new ball cup bushing, I shouldn't need any shims right?

-Tony
Aaron Cox
theories are great huh?

be prepared just in case...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.