Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SMOKIN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
Well I`ve played for a couple of days now,rebuilt engine is smokin` really! How long does it take for new rings to seat? There was an oil leak at the strainer,must have over tightened it,fixed that.The smoke out the tail pipes is very embarassing ,looks like bug fogger. Thanks, Barry confused24.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Barry, not for sure, but I don't think it should smoke that much for that long. What color is the smoke?
72914S
Kinda pale blue almost white. the engine only has about 2 hours on it, mostly on the stand.
TheCabinetmaker
Could be your engine assembly grease. I'll check my engine rebuild book on how much and how long it should smoke. I'm assuming you followed the break in instructions. I'll bet there are those much more qualified to answer this than me on this board, so chime in guys!
J P Stein
I'm a big fan of non-detergent 30 wt oil for seating rings. confused24.gif
Bleyseng
What oil are you using????

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
Barry, How many miles on the motor so far? What kind of rings did you use? Chrome rings can take longer to seat. Did you do the 20 minute run in? Tell us more!!!!!!!!!!!!
72914S
Bench time maybe 1 hour for adjustments,maybe the same after installed,8 miles from shop to house. Oil is 20/50 castrol. 20 minute what? don`t think the rings are chrome, pistons are forged aluminium. Thing is it did`nt smoke on the bench.
Bleyseng
Cam break in period when you first start it up.
If its is the car now, drive it in 3rd gear up to 50 then decelerate to 25 then back up to 50 , do this for 5 minutes.

Then change the oil, adjust the valves, check for leaks.

Geoff
72914S
Thanks, I`ll do that right after work today.Hope I don`t get caught (the tag is last year) the wife will give me hell if she finds out.
TheCabinetmaker
Like Geoff said, do not hold a steady rpm on first drive. This evens pressures on both sides of the rings, and helps them seat. The 20 minute run at 2000rpm (first startup) is to get oil to all the cam and lifters and to help them "wear" in together. It didn't smoke on the bench cause it wasn't under a load.
J P Stein
Pardon me while i scratch my haid..........

One hour run time on the bench and 8 miles on the road, right?

The cam break-in is over....good or bad.
To seat the rings, I use non- detergent oil and drive it for at least 100 miles....do a compression check..if it's good, get the crap outta there, adjust the valves, yada.

20-50 is detergent type oil. Back in the good old days I used a detergent oil in a new motor for 1500 miles and never did seat the rings.....only did that once.
72914S
Any brand? what weight?
Bleyseng
30wt Non- detergent any brand
72914S
okay! A good friend of mine has a `70 Roadrunner 440 . Did you notice my side maker lights? `68 Roadrunner,nice smooth look.
J P Stein
The only 30 wt non-det I could find was Valvoline.....at NAPA, I recall.
Tom Perso
Dude, that cam is broke in, the motor is not going to come apart. Do the load runs like the previous people said, then go out and get on it. No crazy high RPM runs, just get out and tromp on it.

30 wt oil will help too.

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.