Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternatives to Heat exchangers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Moneypit
I cut the Heat exchanger boxes of my 74 2.0 because they were rediculously rusted thru, however now im in washington dc, and im going to need defrost/defog when winter rolls around here soon....

What i need to know, is are there any alternative ways of getting defrost for my windshield without using the heat exchanger/blower method. im pretty sure an electric heater is out, unless someone knows of a good one that could run on the 914's electrical power. all of my front blowers still work, but i have none of the engine hardware.

any suggestions on how to remedy this?
Brando
You'll need heat and defrost.

Look for a set of early 2.0 SSIs. They're stainless and flow a better than the late 1.8/2.0 exhaust does. You'll need the rest of the early heat conversion parts and a new muffler as well, but a much worthwhile investment on a stock car.
Joe Ricard
Jacket gloves and a cool 914 club stocking hat.
Joe Bob
Webasto (SIC) gas heater.....
PanelBilly
There has got to be another way to heat these cars. I keep looking for a 12 volt electric element that could be placed inline in some of the defroster ducting. Adding seat heaters is no big deal for body warmth, but you got to be able to put some heat on that front glass. I've found a freestanding element unit that plugs into the cig lighter that is intended for extra spot heating in motor homes, but I don't know if its going to be too big to morph into the ducting. I would bet there is an element from a motor home frig that would work.
JPB
If you have an auxhiliary oil cooler, you can put it in your car with a fan on it. I seen something like that in a VW way back when. You could probably pipe the heated air all over your interior. I'd like to see that one work. If all else fails, park the teener and get a winter beater!

beer.gif I'm an antiwinterteener!
Joe Bob
The electric units just pull too many amps to work right. Your alternator won't be up to it.
grasshopper
JPB, I was thinking the exact same thing...If you made ducting that pulls the hot air from the aux oil cooler out the inner fenders, could you just make a valve that was controled by cables (like the metal things on the HE's that directs the air either out, or to the passenger compartment) that when closed, would direct the heat out the fenders, and when open, would close the vent to the inner fenders, and only allow the hot air to go to the passenger compartment...you could make some custom cables and use the stock heater lever, and duct the air into the stock air controls...that is how I am going to do it.
JPB
All right! Now you are cookin with gas bro!! It sounds like you have a good head for such a retrofit. If ya do it, don't forget to share the info!!

beer.gif Beer in a hot day and hell ,beer on a cold day also.LOL
grasshopper
like zis biggrin.gif little fans help push the warm air into cabin or out fenderwells. Thanks for the pics East coaster.
grasshopper
next
JPB
No way! Zis iz gud! Must fabricate FG component!

beer.gif Very nice.
fitsbain
Back when my dad drove a bug, he had a set of 6 volt electric fans. To run them on the cars 12v system he had a big resistor that was straped to the fron of the fan. The added benifit was that the air coming off the fan was warmed by the resistor. The result was a functional defroster.
Moneypit
I've been looking for a 12v heater, i think i may have found a few.i figure just work one into the ducting up in the front trunk, and voila!..... problem is my electrical's are on the fritz right now.... im gonna see if i can find one that wont draw too much power. like i said, i just need basic defog/frost.

Can't really get a beater either, a Lcpl doesnt make that much in the Marines..... ar15.gif
JPB
Look in the classifieds. There is someone who can upgrade your alternator for MONDO current. Don't fry the one you have just send it out and get it pumped up!

beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.