Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which rear shocks can get me back up to stock height or higher?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moggy
After our first rally here in the UK over the weekend (finished 34 out of 50 smile.gif )I've realised we have a serious ground clearance issue. The car is simply to low and had to be walked thru the rough sections. The fronts are presently at stock height and I'm happy we can probably get the ground clearance we need at the front by adjusting the adjusters to the max and higher profile tyres. However at the back the higher profiles tyres just won't be enough.

I've presently got KYB's on the back (with 165 springs from Pelicanparts). What good quality aftermarket shocks can get me back up to at least stock height or prefereably higher? I need them to have damper adjustability and height adjustability. As far as I know my options are Bilstein or Koni......am I correct? do both shocks have both attributes I'm after? As most of the 914 aftermarket stuff is focused on lowering the suspension I'm worried that even with the spring perches on their highest settings it won't be getting me at least back up to stock height. Is my worry needless? Is higher than stock even a possibility?

Also a worry is that the 165 springs I've recently purchased will be loose if I raise the suspension to this height...?? anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.

Moggy
Mueller
for the most part shocks have NOTHING to do with height....

it's in the placement of the spring.....if you raise the bottom spring perch on the rear shock you raise the vehicle.

For KYB's, you have to cut and re-weld the perch (or add spacers between the spring and the perch)

For Koni and Bilstiens, you can get threaded collars which slip over the shock that allow you to custom tailor the ride height

messix
check the classifieds here for ajustable spring perches.
Aaron Cox
FIRST - dump the KYB's - as they just arent valved anywhere close to where they should be for a 914....

get some bilsteins or some koni's, and these have 6 out of the box height adjustments. (circlip for spring perch). most of the racertypes go with a threaded collar which slides right over the shock and gives you infinite height adjustment, and also enables you to cornerbalance your ride...

post a pic of your rally car
moggy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 6 2006, 11:30 AM) *

FIRST - dump the KYB's - as they just arent valved anywhere close to where they should be for a 914....

get some bilsteins or some koni's, and these have 6 out of the box height adjustments. (circlip for spring perch). most of the racertypes go with a threaded collar which slides right over the shock and gives you infinite height adjustment, and also enables you to cornerbalance your ride...

post a pic of your rally car

Here you go... this was the first event we did this weekend so the car's a long way from being a proper rally car. I thought it best if the car developes in harmony with me, rather than spend ££££'s building a car which is the perfect 914 rally car only to crash it as my skills aren't up to the job (also if I went this way I could waste ££'s on needless stuff).

IPB Image

IPB Image

I agree with you totally on the KYB's, they are pretty bad. Do the Konis and the Bilsteins BOTH have the threaded collars or is this an option I have to purshase seperately. Also any ideas on whether they would get me up to the ground clearances I need (i.e. stock or higher).
Joe Bob
Konis and Bills have adjustments but they are not really fine adjusments, the addition of threaded collars allow for fine tuning and aid in corner balancing.
moggy
Don't know why the pics don't work?? Anyway here's a link to them maybe someone else can get them to work in a post. Cheers

http://www.bg-photosport.co.uk/August%20Mo...lbert%20098.jpg

http://www.bg-photosport.co.uk/August%20Mo...lbert%20057.jpg
anthony
I think your 165lb springs are lowering springs. 100lb springs would probably bring the car up an inch. Your best bet may be Konis with adjustable spring perches and custom length springs.
grasshopper
send you pics to me at dfuller914@hotmail.com, and I will resize them for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.