Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the trick....or am I just getting old?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Years ago I adjusted 914 valves laying on my back under the car on stands. Now I have a 4-post lift and I can stand up to do the job. Only problem is I can't see how I can get the valve cover off, never mind adjusting valves. The heat exchangers seem to block everything ('70 1.7). A pro once told me he removed the bail by looping a shop towel over it and pulling down. I can't even see how I could get a straight pull down. Is the lift my problem? Do I need to put the car on stands, pull a wheel and lay under the car like in the old days?
Bleyseng
Jim, I still do it laying down! I just pop one of the ends out and then take the bale off, then pop the valve cover off.
Geoff mueba.gif
RustyWa
I generally end up doing it Geoff's way, but I start by looping a shop rag around the bail and then pull down.
Curvie Roadlover
Do you think pulling one end of the bail wire out is OK? confused24.gif it seems like this would be bad for the bail wire over time.
Bleyseng
They are some kind of spring steel, I use a large screw driver and carefully pry it out. Don't use a crowbar and reef on it and bend it!
Geoff
Demick
I just use a small claw hammer. Hook it over the center of the bale and yank down on it. Getting it off is easy. Getting it back on is a bit more difficult.

Demick
RustyWa
The only thing I worry about when I end up prying one side off is that when the bail pops out of the socket in the head, it takes a little bit of aluminum with it.

Getting them back on is the hard part. I've still got the late style exhaust on mine and I believe the heat exchangers are more in the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.