Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Surrounds - Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Wierd! Took my original surrounds off w/no problem (little wiggling required), but when I tried to put another set on - no amount of wiggling would work! In fact, I even put a small scratch in a perfectly restored set - aaarrgghh!.

What's the thought - do I need to remve the eybrows? Yes, I do know he difference between right & left.
Jasfsmith
Consume a stiff drink and try again. Does wonders to our judgement when installing the eyebrows. They will drop right in. I guarantee it. <grin>
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 7 2006, 02:35 AM) *

Consume a stiff drink and try again. Does wonders to our judgement when installing the eyebrows. They will drop right in. I guarantee it. <grin>

Since I respect your advice sooo much, I will try again, with the assistance of Mr. Daniel of Tennessee fame!
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 6 2006, 10:35 PM) *

And just how many visits from Mr. Daniels did it take?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 15 2006, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 6 2006, 10:35 PM) *

And just how many visits from Mr. Daniels did it take?

Ummm, I haven't had the chance to try yet (this Thursday, but without Jack). I'm off Thursday & have declared it 914 day - nothing else gets touched!

BTW, that WAS your six I saw a photo of at the Parade, wasn't it? Unless someone else has a matching six w/Maine plates, that is. So, did you get the long distance award? & what about the concours? Tell us, please!?
Pat Garvey
drunk.gif

THEY'RE IN! No, I did it without Mr. Daniel's assistance.

Finally, and they look so much better than my originals, they're staying there!
RogerYellow914
Pat,

When you say they are "restored", are they really clean/polished or did you paint them? They look really nice.

-Roger
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ Aug 18 2006, 06:51 PM) *

Pat,

When you say they are "restored", are they really clean/polished or did you paint them? They look really nice.

-Roger

Roger,
This all started with another thread on this forum but, long story short, the ones pictures are "restored", but painted. It was a pair I got from South Carolina that were clean but never taken care of. The plastic was stained, faded, etc.

I like to have spares of everything, so I set about trying to make these presentable. My originals are nice, but have the pebble grained finish, so I can't take any kind of sanding to them. Bleach only helped a little on both.

So, I sanded, sanded, etc. But the color (on the junk ones) changed only marginally. Found some paint by Rust-Oleum (Krylon has one too) that's designed for plastics & matched the original color almost perfectly. 2 light coats & you can see the result. I'll put my orig's back on for concours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.