Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Volume of a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
magaoidh
Can anyone tell me the correct volume of a 914 i.e. cubic capacity of the car in total; cubic metres?
Thanks in anticipation.Geoff
URY914
Now thats a new question. You have to tell us why need to know this.
Are you shipping a car on a ship or something? confused24.gif
blitZ
Take one large graduated cylinder, fill half full with water. Immerse your 914 with windows closed. Measure the difference and you'll have your volume.
VegasRacer
Click to view attachment
URY914
QUOTE(blitZ @ Aug 7 2006, 04:18 AM) *

Take one large graduated cylinder, fill half full with water. Immerse your 914 with windows closed. Measure the difference and you'll have your volume.

Drop it in a swimming pool?
type47
... has to be a graduated swimming pool, otherwise you won't know beginning and end volumes... biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 7 2006, 05:27 AM) *

... has to be a graduated swimming pool, otherwise you won't know beginning and end volumes... biggrin.gif

Sure, fill it up one gallon at a time.... confused24.gif
machina
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Aug 7 2006, 07:17 AM) *

Can anyone tell me the correct volume of a 914 i.e. cubic capacity of the car in total; cubic metres?

mine goes to eleven
Matt Romanowski
Well, why don't you just make 10 louder?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Joe Ricard
Enough volume to carry four 9.5 inch slicks a jack tool bag cooler duffel bag full of racing crap.

Oh noise volume ? about 95 db at 5500 RPM

I don't recommend the dip it a pool thing these cars get rusty enough on thier own.
cooltimes
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Aug 7 2006, 06:17 AM) *

Factory dimensions
Length = 4050 mm
width = 1650 mm
height = 1230 mm

Are you planning on burying your 914.
I feel the same way most of the times. LOL
Hope this helped with your questions but you'll have to do the math.

MikeCool
tdgray
No offense to the asker but...

That has to be one of the strangest questions ever posted on this board blink.gif w00t.gif
jd66921
QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 7 2006, 09:50 AM) *

That has to be one of the strangest questions ever posted on this board blink.gif w00t.gif

Geoff is asking because he is charged $78 per cu meter to get his car off the ship
in OZ! Customs.....

We calculated 6.7 cu meter, but did not allow for the curve of the windshield,
air under the car, etc.

Just trying to save him a few bucks, they get too much as is!!

Jeff
tdgray
Now that we know what it is for it's even funnier (I think) biggrin.gif

Thanks for the 'splaining
7TPorsh
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 7 2006, 06:27 AM) *

Don't understand why the pool needs to be educated? confused24.gif
magaoidh
Next time I'm gonna ask "how long is a piece of string"
7TPorsh
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Aug 7 2006, 04:05 PM) *

That's easy, your string is 16 posts long. biggrin.gif
pfierb
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Aug 7 2006, 07:05 PM) *

I think Chips Rafferty already asked that in one of his movies.
magaoidh
Chips Rafferty? he's been gone for yonks!
pfierb
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Aug 7 2006, 08:03 PM) *

Chips Rafferty? he's been gone for yonks!

And all this time I was waiting to see his next movie....you shattered my day.

Cheers Paul F.
SirAndy

how long is a piece of string

about the size of the Planck-Length (~ 1.6 × 10^-35 meters) ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
jd66921
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 7 2006, 05:36 PM) *

how long is a piece of string

about the size of the Planck-Length (~ 1.6 × 10^-35 meters) ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

Customs should OWE Geoff then....
draperjojo
Pour 2 yards of concrete in it and then just measure what spills over the side.............................kidding of course, thought about doing that to my first one though headbang.gif
magaoidh
Geez,I hope our Customs people never get to read this piece of string!(they will think all 914 owners are fruitloops!)
Downunderman
Geoff,

If you find out the answer (which I think is about 0.95 m3 of water) email Ryan Curnick, a taildragger friend of mine who knows about getting cars into oz - rcurnick@yahoo.com.au

He imported a yellow thing not so long ago from NZ, but had sussed out how to get struff in from the good ole when he was planning to import from there.

H
magaoidh
Thanks Howard,
The car is on the ship and will arrive on 10 Sept.
DBCooper
QUOTE(jd66921 @ Aug 7 2006, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 7 2006, 09:50 AM) *

Geoff is asking because he is charged $78 per cu meter to get his car off the ship
in OZ! Customs.....

We calculated 6.7 cu meter, but did not allow for the curve of the windshield,
air under the car, etc.

Just trying to save him a few bucks, they get too much as is!!

Jeff

Shipping cube is just the length at the longest point times the width at the widest times the height at the highest. There's no allowance for under the car, curved windshield, etc. You might be able to get away with giving them a "shortened up" measurement like that, but you'll really just be getting away wit5h it. The real calculation is really the standard overall LxWxH, just like they do it down at the airline checkin counter or at the UPS office.
magaoidh
I figure the cube to be about 8 cu/metres,they will be measuring it apparently. Strictly speaking the volume is around 6.5 cu/metres.At one stage shipping people were trying to say 11 cu/metres. Thanks Paul.
JPB
Let me help with some dimensions which are extremely accurate. The front trunk is about four large bags of ice and three cases of caned beer, The rear trunk is two large bages of ice and two cases of beer. You can also stack three cases of beer on the passenged seat.

beer.gif You ain't smuggeling beer out of the country now are ya?
magaoidh
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 8 2006, 03:39 PM) *

Let me help with some dimensions which are extremely accurate. The front trunk is about four large bags of ice and three cases of caned beer, The rear trunk is two large bages of ice and two cases of beer. You can also stack three cases of beer on the passenged seat.

beer.gif You ain't smuggeling beer out of the country now are ya?

Nah!...........women???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.