Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rolling into another car when parked would be bad...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
So the last couple of times I parked my 914 on a slight incline in first gear it still rolls- although not 'freely'. I guess this could be a sign of a clutch starting to go, but I've had no problem when driving it. When it rolls it moves as though it's still in gear (flywheel moves- I think that's the correct way to describe it). It rolls just a little, then catches, then stops and then a few seconds later, moves again briefly. Reminds me of moving the car in gear to in order to move the flywheel to set the timing- although I always did this in 3rd gear because i couldn't get it to move in 1st.

It wouldn't be so bad if my e- brake didn't need adjusting (next on the list now...)

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!!
Cap'n Krusty
Whn you say parked on a hill, do you mean pointing up the hill, or down the hill? If you're pointing up the hill, your car should be in reverse, the front wheels turned away from the curb, with the curbside front tire against the curb. If you're pointed down hill, you should have the car in first gear with the front wheels turned toward the curb, curbside tire touching the curb. Of course, your parking brake, by laaw, must be both functional and engaged. I believe we touched on these points in driver's ed, but the way schools are now, maybe not. The Cap'n
RoadGlue
If it rolls, then catches, rolls then catches, then it means that you don't have your parking brake on and you're relying on your motor to keep your car from moving. Your motor is simply leaking compression slowly allowing your car to roll, stop as compression builds up on one cylinder, roll as it goes past top dead center on that cylinder, repeat, etc. Motors don't make good ebrakes!

Your clutch is probably fine. Clutches tend to slip in high load. A good test would be to stab the throttle while zipping down the freeway at 65 while in 5th gear. If the RPMs increase quickly while your car merrily stays at 65, then your clutch is slipping.

Cheers!
Dr Evil
Its not an automatic so it does not have a "Park" setting as the others have said. Gonna need to address the parking brake now.
rjames
Sometimes there isn't a curb to turn the wheels into, but holy crap, I can't believe I'm 38 and I didn't realize that if the front end of the car is pointing up hill, that I should be in reverse when parking and not 1st gear.

Nothing like pointing out one's own ignorance to the masses... headbang.gif

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!! :-)
RoadGlue
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 7 2006, 11:08 AM) *

Sometimes there isn't a curb to turn the wheels into, but holy crap, I can't believe I'm 38 and I didn't realize that if the front end of the car is pointing up hill, that I should be in reverse when parking and not 1st gear.

Hi,

There's no real advantage to being in reverse vs. first gears. They both have the same ratio.

You have to use the e-brake. That's the key here. The engine doesn't provide enough compression to keep the car securely stopped when on a hill, regardless of the direction that your car is pointed or the gear that you're in.

Why doesn't your e-brake work? I'm sure we can lend some advice on getting it working again.

Cheers!
rjames
Why doesn't your e-brake work? I'm sure we can lend some advice on getting it working again.

Actually it does work, but I have to pull it up all the way to hold decently, and it still doesn't feel like the brakes are being applied enough. (The cable y's and goes to both rear brakes, correct?? I assume adjusting this isn't going to be too difficult, except to get both brakes to be engaged evenly when pulling up on the handle. I haven't checked the Hanes manual yet (will do so tonight) but I am assuming that it's just a matter of adjusting a barrel adjuster or nut or some such thing near where the cable exits the rear firewall behind the driver's seat.

However, any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!! beer.gif
bondo
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 7 2006, 11:53 AM) *

Actually it does work, but I have to pull it up all the way to hold decently, and it still doesn't feel like the brakes are being applied enough. (The cable y's and goes to both rear brakes, correct?? I assume adjusting this isn't going to be too difficult, except to get both brakes to be engaged evenly when pulling up on the handle. I haven't checked the Hanes manual yet (will do so tonight) but I am assuming that it's just a matter of adjusting a barrel adjuster or nut or some such thing near where the cable exits the rear firewall behind the driver's seat.

However, any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!! beer.gif

Adjust your rear caliper venting clearance before messing with the cable adjustment.
brant
This may or may not be the case in your situation.
but it may be a sign that your motor is just a lil' tired.

perhaps your compression is reduced from what it used to be 5 years ago when that was adequate.

doesn't mean that the above advice isn't true and good.
you need a working parking brake and not a motor brake.
but its more a symptom of a tired motor than a tired clutch.

brant
JRust
I came to the realization my ebrake wasn't working when I was delivering a pizza one day! I get out of my car walk up to the ladys door & she says your car is moving. Luckily it was pointed straight & no cars directly in front of it. I caught it half way down the block. I never knew I was so fast. Took a flying leap thru the passenger side. Landed perfectly & was able to stop at least 6" from the stinger that stuck out a good foot with a 2 1/2 ball. Would have been brutal on my hood as the guys truck was lifted. Ebrake good!!!
rjames
This may or may not be the case in your situation.
but it may be a sign that your motor is just a lil' tired.

That wouldn't surprise me, although it was rebuilt less then 15k miles ago according to records the PO gave me. Would a compression test reveal this? I had this done last year, and the #s were good. (I'll have to look them up again before posting).

brant
the compression test isn't a bad idea.
but heck..
I'd just drive it and fix the ebrake

not worry too much
rjames
I'm pretty sure all 4 tested around 135, but I'll check just the same.

E-brake needs to be fixed regardless though.

Adjust your rear caliper venting clearance before messing with the cable adjustment.

I think this means I'm buying a new tool....calipers? or can this be done with a feeler gauge?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 7 2006, 12:41 PM) *

I think this means I'm buying a new tool....calipers? or can this be done with a feeler gauge?

Feeler gauge is all you need.

If you don't have one handy, you can probably get by using my super lazy method for adjusting the venting clearance. I'll probably get flamed for this, but here's what I normally do. I just crank in each of the four adjusters until the pads start to drag on the rotors and then back off the adjusters just to the point where they stop dragging.

You might find this article helpful if you want to do it the correct, recommended way:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9..._brake_pads.htm
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Aug 7 2006, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 7 2006, 11:08 AM) *

Hi,

There's no real advantage to being in reverse vs. first gears. They both have the same ratio.

You have to use the e-brake. That's the key here. The engine doesn't provide enough compression to keep the car securely stopped when on a hill, regardless of the direction that your car is pointed or the gear that you're in.

Cheers!

Sorry, you're wrong. A 4 stroke engine turns over FAR MORE EASILY if it's turning backwards. Fundamental fact. The Cap'n
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 7 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Sorry, you're wrong. A 4 stroke engine turns over FAR MORE EASILY if it's turning backwards. Fundamental fact. The Cap'n

Oh crap, I am! I was just thinking about the gear ratio and not about the motor's valve train. Duh.

Thanks for the correction!
maf914
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 7 2006, 11:26 AM) *

I came to the realization my ebrake wasn't working when I was delivering a pizza one day! I get out of my car walk up to the ladys door & she says your car is moving.

Are you using a 914 to deliver pizza? I guess the rear trunk wouls be a good place to put them since it can get pretty warm once the exhaust system heats up.

Post a picture of it with a pizza delivery sign on the top. I bet not too many here have seen one like that before. In fact, it would probably be posted as car of the month.
wbergtho
I never knew I was so fast. Took a flying leap thru the passenger side. Landed perfectly & was able to stop

Dude..I got the visual of you running your ass off and expertly diving through the pass side window...and started laughing out loud. I had to do a similar feat when a car I was towing fell off the car caddy and passed me in the tow car unpiloted straight down the street at about 20MPH! ohmy.gif
rjames
I had the same thing happen once when I was delivering mail for a living. I got out of the jeep to deliver mail to a mailbox that someone had blocked by parking their car in front of it. I left the jeep running, and put it in park. As I'm putting mail into the mailbox I hear the engine start to wind up, and look back to see the thing in reverse heading straight for someone's dining room window at the front of their house. I did the flying leap into the driver's seat (thank god I left the door open) manuver just in time to slam on the brakes. I didn't see anyone around, but I remember being paranoid that someone saw and would call in to the post office to get me in trouble. Never happened, but I learned to turn the engine off when getting out of the car after that!
bondo
QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 8 2006, 08:34 AM) *

I had the same thing happen once when I was delivering mail for a living. I got out of the jeep to deliver mail to a mailbox that someone had blocked by parking their car in front of it. I left the jeep running, and put it in park. As I'm putting mail into the mailbox I hear the engine start to wind up, and look back to see the thing in reverse heading straight for someone's dining room window at the front of their house. I did the flying leap into the driver's seat (thank god I left the door open) manuver just in time to slam on the brakes. I didn't see anyone around, but I remember being paranoid that someone saw and would call in to the post office to get me in trouble. Never happened, but I learned to turn the engine off when getting out of the car after that!

Haha, reminds me of The Gods Must Be Crazy.. hilarious! As long as it doesn't end up in a tree, you're ok. biggrin.gif
JRust
I did deliver pizza every once in a while during the summer. I owned a pizza parlor at the time & during slow summer days I would run deliveries. So it was either in my 914 or my Ford F-250 crew cab powerstroke. I did deliveries in both actually quite often. Probably more in my truck than my 914 though. Either way I got tons of people commenting on it. I don't think I have any pictures of my 914 with a pizza car top though confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.