Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Oil Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Hello All,

I have a small leak of tranny oil. Not sure where it is yet (or how "small") but I do not have time to do a good review right now. I want to top off the fluid for now and then address the leak later.

Anyway, what brand and weight oil should I use? Owners manual says Hypoid oil (73 1.7) and I got some at the local autoparts store. Wondering If I should do something else??

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 19 2003, 11:54 AM)
Anyway, what brand and weight oil should I use?

The Best is Swepco 201, which i doubt you'll find locally, even in Lost Angeles. (okay - Performance Products in Van Nuys probably has it ...). and you might be able to do a WillCall with Pelican - i donno, never tried it ... i use Swepco 203, but my synchros are already shot so i have not much left to lost - use 201... all the Porsche houses selling Swepco 201 will sell the Porsche-spec stuff - 85W-90. A Long Time Ago when it was the only way to know we were getting the good hi-pressure hypoid lubricants i used to use Valvoline 85W140 - and in SoCal i still wouldn't have any heartburn with that (in cold country, it will make the box hard to shift in winter...)

the book calls for 85W-90 - lots of the new synthetics are 75-90 which is a little too thin to make our -- ahh -- 'vintage' boxes work. it's the cool deal in water cars that spec it, but ours don't ...
Bleyseng
90 Wt Gear oil will do.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 19 2003, 01:04 PM)
Swepco

swepco it is ...
don't even bother with anything else.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.