Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recaro Seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kckoch
For many years I have loved fitting Recaro Seats in my vehicles. I recently purchased a 914-6 project, and want to install Recaro Seats in this as well. I know that you must fabricate new brackets/sliders, but before I spend the money on new seats, I want to know if anyone has experience with this.

I'm a big boy, 6'2+ and pushing 265lbs. I can't compromise much room. Can you mount these low? Are they substantially higher than the original?

Help is greatly appreciated.
jhadler
Most of the aftermarket seats out there will be 1) taller, and 2) wider than the original seats in the 914. That being said, there have been lots of folks that mounted "other" seats in their cars, myself included. Floor mounting the seats is an option, but generally requires the omission of the adjuster rails. Also, the cross brace tends to get in the way for mounting the seats super low. I mounted Coreau Forza race seats in my car, and I like 'em. But I'm on the other end of the spectrum (5'6" and 130#), so head clearance wasn't too much of a concern. As it is, I can -just- fit in there with my open face helmet and the roof latched on.

Anyhow, you should search the site for a bit and see what has worked for folks in the past. If you haven't bought the seats yet, you may want to look into the reproduction GT seats for the 914. They're really great, but they ain't cheap... Then again, neither are really nice Recaros.

My suggestion would be to look at race seats, as they will tend to not be quite so tall, and will probably fit better. Just make sure to sit in 'em before you buy if you can. They're all built differently, and even different models from the same maker can fit very differently...

-Josh2
turboman808
I have recaros in mine. I beleive the rails have been lowered somehow. But they are on the 914 rails.

I'm sitting lower in them. I didn't install them so I don't know how they did this. But I look at the other 914 drivers and I am definetly lower.
Joe Ricard
I bought my car with a Recaro SRD. Oh such a wonderful seat.
Recaro rails/sliders with an extension bracket welded to the front side of the cross brace. there was room enough to use the parking brake and still had the early pad thingy between the seats.

I still have the seat and really don't have a use for it anymore. If you are interested.
neo914-6
I'm running a GT3 on a stock rail but I'm short.

Try these, they're wider: Recaro O2
kckoch
The seat are Recaro Classic Electronic. I will post pictures tonight. I have not purchased them, however I know the seat well, and love them. I'm OK if I have to remove the old mechinism, however I still want to slide them. I'm confident that they are likely 1-2" higher in depth, as the original seats were very thin.

Anyone have any pics of a install?
neo914-6
QUOTE(kckoch @ Aug 7 2006, 01:44 PM) *

The seat are Recaro Classic Electronic. I will post pictures tonight. I have not purchased them, however I know the seat well, and love them. I'm OK if I have to remove the old mechinism, however I still want to slide them. I'm confident that they are likely 1-2" higher in depth, as the original seats were very thin.

Anyone have any pics of a install?

I have not seen these seats in a 914 and believe they will place you too high. Let us know if they work for you, hopefully you won't have to "bubble" your top. biggrin.gif

I have these seats for my Mercedes (not installed yet) and can adapt them to the OEM elect height and track. They were also optional on 928's, 911's, Mercedes AMG, etc.

BTW, they sell for $1500-2500 depending on condition! There is an updated version for $3500-4k...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.