Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Follow up to gear oil question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
This is a follow up question to my previous one about transmission fluid found here: Previous Question

Where do I get a 17mm Allen Wrench to remove the filler plug (and/or drain plug if I decide to chnage it all out)?

Would prefer a socket, but not being picky right now.

Thanks,
Joe
TheCabinetmaker
Joe, should be available at any parts store or tool store.
Bleyseng
or if you have a 17 mm bolt, put 2 nuts on it and tighten them. Then insert the bolt to use it as a hex wrench by putting a socket over it.

Geoff
KaptKaos
Been to two autoparts stores and one hardware store. Nothing.

I tought about the bolt and nut solution, and it is a last resort.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
ChrisReale
Go to a local VW shop. They will probably have one.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Oct 19 2003, 11:58 PM)
Go to a local VW shop. They will probably have one.

agree.gif
$7
seanery
Sears has 'em.
p914
$7 from NAPA
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 19 2003, 03:48 PM)
Where do I get a 17mm Allen Wrench to remove the filler plug (and/or drain plug if I decide to chnage it all out)?
Would prefer a socket...

i have that big 17mm Allen in my box too, but when they get stuck, they get -really- stuck (mostly from people not understanding how tapered pipe plugs seal, and not using an anti-sieze...) and with the car on the ground, it can be hard finding one of the 6 possible insertion orientations tat will allow you to both get a long pipe cheater on the handle -and- apply enough torque to loosen before the end of the pipe hits the ground.

flag down a Snap-On truck and get the socket. it's more but once you've got one, you'll never use the big Allen Key again.

once the Allen keys are out, remember tapered pipe plugs don't seal by monster torque, and use an antisieze to make the job easier next time. actually, to make it even easier next time, go buy a pair of transmission plugs from a 911 or 914.6 -- 19mm external hex heads...

(and yes, mine are safety-wired, mostly to remind me that i do not need to torque them with all my strength to keep them from falling out ...)
need4speed
I tried the bolts - sheared em off on my old tranny.
Went to Snap-On. . . $30.

Went to my local VW shop. $4. (it was set up to work on my 3/8" rachet driver).
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(need4speed @ Oct 20 2003, 09:17 AM)
I tried the bolts - sheared em off on my old tranny.
Went to Snap-On. . . $30.

Went to my local VW shop. $4. (it was set up to work on my 3/8" rachet driver).

if it takes enough torque to shear a 10mm 8,8, you're on the edge with 3/8" drive.
Snap-On's is probably overpriced at $30 - but it is a 1/2" drive socket.

if 3/8" works for you - cool - you've just saved $26 and i'm all for that !
if it breaks, you're out $34 and some BandAids...
MarkV
I got a 17mm allen wrench at Sears. They must carry it for the VW guys, comes in a vinyl pouch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.