Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rally/GT Mounted lights...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I was browsing Jon Lowe's GT pages... are those cool bumper/hood mounted rally lights still available, OEM or aftermarket?

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
i don't think they are porsche specific lights.
i had them on my VW-Bug too wink.gif

Andy
Rusty
So there's nothing special about them, then? I saw the name "Cibie" on some of the lights.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Oct 19 2003, 05:16 PM)
I saw the name "Cibie" on some of the lights.

maybe the guys girl-friend ??? confused24.gif

Andy
ChrisReale
Cibie's are the "OEM" light maker for the rally cars. The NOS sets are available from time to time on Ebay, but they want like $700 for a set. I have some Hella 500series that I mounted to the front bumper using the holes where the bumper tits used to be.
Here's a set on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=33709
redshift
Cibies are spensive as hell.

Use big flashlights!

M
kdfoust
Don't waste your time with ebay. Just call this guy:

Gunther
Aardvark Int'l
Work: 562-699-8887
Whittier, CA

They've got a website as well that has most Cibie auxillary lights:
Cibie lights

Yeah they are expensive but most of them will look period correct on your car.
Good luck,
Kevin
Rusty
Kevin,

Thanks for the website. Yeah, they're steep.

I found a place that sells chrome trimmed Cibie H-4s for 142.00 each.

Cibie Oscars

I want enough light up front that I'll melt the paint off any car in front of me. My plan is to rig the lamps so that the fog lamps run through one switch, and the driving lights run through another. There is a hole for an extra switch on the dash (hidden behind the vinyl) immediately to the right of the steering wheel.

-Rusty cool_shades.gif
rhodyguy
when i took the vinyl off i wondered what that hole might be for. thought it might be for the dash ing switch and the factory never changed the stamping die.

kevin
'hell, just cover it"
Aaron Cox
wink.gif i like the oscar sc's better....
Rusty
when i took the vinyl off i wondered what that hole might be for. thought it might be for the dash ing switch and the factory never changed the stamping die.

Yeah, I wondered, too. Cause there's already a place on the left for ignition, foglight and headlight. On the right, there's a place for the lighter and rear window defroster.

It's just an extra hole, I guess. confused24.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
remember- early cars had windshield wiper switch on the right unsure.gif
Joe Bob
You won;t like it....but there is a thread about them here....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=130472

Wayne says he's gonna do some copoes that are cheaper then the bend over NOS ones that are out there.....
Rusty
remember- early cars had windshield wiper switch on the right

Huh? My windshield wiper control is on the steering column.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
really? early cars had their widshield wiper switches mounted to the right of the column. they are available but the stalk version is NLA. another hole was used for headlight washers on later cars......

ill see if i can find a pic...be back soon
Aaron Cox
CORRECTIoN: EARLY 4 cyl cars had them on the dash- see pic below-

also, the rear defroster was on that side.
Aaron Cox
OOPS, pic would be good huh!
machina
I bought this set of cibie's on e-bay for $70.

The chrome is in good but not perfect shape.

I like them because the housing has a short dimension from the lens to the rear of the case, they don't stick out too much.

dr
Joe Bob
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 20 2003, 12:23 PM)
I bought this set of cibie's on e-bay for $70.

The chrome is in good but not perfect shape.

I like them because the housing has a short dimension from the lens to the rear of the case, they don't stick out too much.

dr

I think Rusty was talking about the hood mounted ones......
campbellcj
I think the vintage Super Oscars are getting in the >$600/pair range now. The new flavors should be substantially less than that, but still not cheap lamps. Plus you have to fab the brackets I think.
djm914-6
I had a set of Cibie Oscars on my last VW. Those things are great! I plan on getting two pair for the NARP once the body work has been done. I'll mount one pair in the bumper somewhat in the stock location and the other I'll mount inboard a bit. Super Oscars were THE rally light to own in the day. I have a set of Cibie headlamps now and find they are worth the extra coin. IMO, there is a big quality difference between the Cibie 7" E-spec and a similar lamp from Hella.
kdfoust
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Oct 20 2003, 12:34 PM)
SNIP
I have a set of Cibie headlamps now and find they are worth the extra coin. IMO, there is a big quality difference between the Cibie 7" E-spec and a similar lamp from Hella.

I happened to have a set of Hella 7" e-code headlamps laying around which I just put in my S2. My 914 has Cibie 7" e-code headlamps already. There is no comparision! The Cibies have a much sharper cutoff and produce "more" useful light (same bulb wattage).

Now I'm screwed since I've seen the difference. The Hellas are coming out so I can put another set of Cibies in. Bosch e-code headlamps are close to the Cibie but no cigar.

Have fun,
Kevin
campbellcj
My old 911 had E-code vintage Cibie H4's too; I ended up replacing them with Bosch H4's (the slant-lens 911 kind), mostly for looks. I wish I hadn't sold the Cibies, though. I have the euro Hella H4's on my current 914, with PIAA bulbs; they're nice but I don't drive it at night anyway. The headlights are basically just still there to help save me from too many equipment violation fines if I get pulled-over on the street happy11.gif
campbellcj
OK...I know these are 911's but for lighting fetish guys they aren't bad...
campbellcj
Not mine either...
campbellcj
911ST...
campbellcj
Had to throw in this one cuz I love this pic...(my old car)
seanery
Chris, was your blue car a sporto?
I looked at an 911 E blue sporto with lights like that at California Cars in Calabassas.
thesey914
I really love the "GT" look these lamps give to the car....trouble is as has been mentioned before the correct period lamps are £$€!.
I have never seen any of the cluster variety for sale as shown on the silver 155 numbered car.....might be a bit of an overkill though
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.