Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome plating bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krk
So on my silver /6, the PO was a fan of blacked out chrome. I'm not exactly in that camp, so I'm looking to make some changes. The front bumper is black and in visibly good shape. The rear, which when it arrived at my house had a mid year bumper painted black, has been upgraded to a proper chrome unit, but there are a couple of small dings in it.

So I'd like to look at redoing my bumpers.

Option 1 -- Sell the black early front and buy a chrome early front, and live with the back.

Option 2 -- Send both out to a rechroming outfit.

l've been sort of looking for an early chrome bumper -- they don't come up too often. The early back bumpers don't show up all that often either.

So I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with btdt experince in getting bumpers re-chromed. Bonus points for a pointer to a good bay area rechromer. smile.gif

tia

kim. mueba.gif
redshift
Can't help you on the plater, but you can.. oh wait... you can't..

I was going to say you could cover all the holes, but you are in California, and you need front plates..

DAMNIT!

If I were you, I'd go the plater route with prepared versions of what you want. (what you have?)

M
Joe Bob
Paint them the same color as the car....I did it on mine and it gave it a more modern look.
boxstr
BTDT, It has been my experience with bumper chroming, that the black ones if not already chromed under the black can have a bunch of bondo and paint on them, worthless to try and chrome plate.
You are best to start with a chrome bumper with out the bumperette holes and as straight as you can get.
It cost $500.each to get my bumpers triple chrome plated and to have them straight and holes filled.
Platers tell me that people bring in a rat piece of metal to be plated thinking it is going to magically be perfect. NOT!
The cleaner and straighter item you give them the better it is going to look.
When all is said and done, $1500 for newly chromed front and rear bumpers and top rubbers.
CCLRODCHILD
krk
Mike: I like the look of your car. Some of that is the flares. (ok, I'm partial to the GT look, particularly on the front end) Blending the bumpers in puts more emphasis on the flare/wheel area, and that's cool. I'm after a more stock look though.

Chris: thx for the btdt! It's true -- I've no idea what's under the black paint on the front. (Now, I have a second early chrome front, in good shape except someone welded the mounting bracket on incorrectly - I suppose I could give them a choice betweeen the two...) The rear is actually in pretty good shape (1 or 2 minor blemishes in the chrome) and is probably a reasonable candidate.

kim.
Rusty
There are two versions of the rear chrome bumper (70-73), and the one very early ones are getting very rare. If you have a nice early one, hold onto it.

My recommendation: Go with option one. When you get the throw-away cash, get the rear fixed.

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. My rear bumper has a small ding, too. Someday I'll get it repaired.
Mueller
Valley Plating in Santa Clara (Perry Ct, I think) does chrome bumpers, they start at $300 blink.gif
Aaron Cox
Santa Ana plating had a set of early bumpers on ebay for sale. looked good wink.gif
Chris H.
Speaking of nice early bumpers... this one looked pretty good... I'm thinking about backdating my car but I'm not there yet.

Early Chrome Bumper
echocanyons
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...gory=33640&rd=1
looks like an early rear and front but I could be wrong
Aaron Cox
yup early- wink.gif
Jeffs9146
I had my 74 front bumper rechromed two blocks from Partsheaven in Hayward. It cost me $325 and turned out great! PM me if you want directions!

Jeff
krk
Yeh, I saw the ebay bumpers -- and they are early as far as I can see -- but you can't see all that much from one low res pic -- and that's what jogged my move to get my current bumper situation more on a front burner.

My ebay experience tells me that I need way more pics than ONE to tell me that I'm gonna cough up 3-400/per unit, sight unseen. At least, when I deal directly with someone, I usually get the straight goods.

kim.
Aaron Cox
ask the seller for pics. im sure if he really wants to unload them hell be happy to snap a few pics for a buyer. wavey.gif
GWN7
When I bought the 72 part of the deal was they were to deliver it (per dolly). They hooked a chain to the corner of the rear bumper to pull it out of the muddy field it was in and bent the corner back. I took it off and took it to the local chromer. He said can't be fixed and sold me a rechromed one for $225 US ($330 CDN)

He told me that these types of bumpers need someone who has done this type of work before. Only one guy in his shop could do it and this is a big place, been around longer than I have.
Brad Roberts
Kim,

I'm about to use a chroming place in San Jose that does 90% of the Harley crap in our area (Jesse James send crap to them for his chopper shop)

I have already seen some of their bumpers... flawless.

B
krk
Brad,

Your timing is prefect! May save me headbang.gif ! lol.

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.