Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgrades for 2.0, ie MSD, Mallory dist....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Moneypit
My 2.0 got rebuilt summer of 2004, and was never re-installed/ run. It had euro pistons and a longer duration camshaft for carbs and more torque. It was running carbs, 44 idf if im not mistaken. the car had been detonating, and had way too high compression before the rebuild

I'm trying to make my motor put the carbs to best use. i always had the problem of poor low end power, trouble starting, running rich, etc.

From what i've seen here, I've decided I'd like to go with the MSD Ignition with upgraded coil/8mm plug lines, a Mallory distributor, upgraded fuel pump, new 90 amp alternator( if still available as my current one was really struggling..... ) and im hoping to get the carbs redone with new jets, vents, etc.

I'd just like to see opinions/input on this, as im hoping to eliminate the hot start, lack of power, gas guzzling, and all types of other problems i've experienced.

Also, who are the best suppliers of these kinds of parts, ah and whats the best oil to fill her up with?
Cap'n Krusty
I doubt, with carbs, you'll ever get rid of the gas guzzling. A 90A alternator, if available, isn't gonna affect power or fuel mileage unless you make use of that extra amperage, in which you'll experience a lessening of both power and mileage. TANSTAFL. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
I have a mallory unilite dizzy, mallory hyfire CDI, mallory e-coil, and it helps clean up the low end alot. the dizzy in itself will make a noticeable difference...

what cam?

44's on a 2l? thats what i have, choked down with 34 mm ventui's
Moneypit
I wanted the Upgraded alternator for a newer stereo system, better headlights, and some other electrical things i wanted to upgrade to later on.

Im unsure of the cam, its been 2 years since the rebuild... but it was designed for carbs...

and I'm considering getting a set of idf40's, maybe i could swap a pair of 44's for someone who wants to move up?

If i go with a mallory, what would the bestthe best setup in terms of the rest of the ignition system? hyfire?msd? what type of coil and wires?
SGB
Here is how I woke up my 2.0 w 40 IDF webers and mild street grind webcam
-Mallory Unilite Dizzy
-SSi heat exchangers
-tall manifolds and good linkage from aircooled.net

The mallory really cleaned up idle and smoothed out accelleration, as well as lowering high speed temps

The manifolds and SSi HEs seem to really flow well. Torque is way up from previous short manifolds starting as low as 2600 rpm.

The linkage made it possible to truely synch the carbs. There was quite a bit of slop in the 30 year old setup I had.

I think 44s will be OK. I don't know if you need MSD. I have a regular Bosch blue coil, and with that Mallory diz, there is no missing.

I haven't dyno'd but I think it is at least 125 hp, with about as much torque, too. And it SOUNDS GOOD, not VW-like.
All this is contingent on valve clearances being exactly right. Exactly.
Jake Raby
MSD sucks and is made for a V*. It comes out of the box so screwed up that its not even funny.

The Mallory rcks, I have one in every car I own and every engine that leaves my shop gets one standard..

I sell them in my store pre-set for the type 4 engine. I do not have the cheapest price on them because I modify each of them to better suit the Type IV.

Read my description on my store site of the Mallory and you'll see that it solves issues like yours right out of the box, mostly due to more optimal initial advance settings as well as faster advance curves...

I put 90K miles on the unit in my 912E and didn't even change the cap! It works with a regular old blue coil and you don't need fancy spark boxes like the MSD requires.
SGB
yep, I would go for Jake's already set-up Mallory too. The "spring kit" is about $25 or $30, and I had to buy a torx screwdriver the right size so I could set the advance, too. Not to mention the superior customer care you will always get from Jake.
Aaron Cox
im also a firm believer in CDI boxes...

the mallory hyfire 6a/al compliments the dizzy nicely.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 9 2006, 09:24 AM) *

Yes it does and I see HP gains and engines that can run an entire size larger main jet with the Hyfire attached...

BUT it does not HAVE to be ran with the Mallory.. You can add it later and see gains.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 9 2006, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 9 2006, 09:24 AM) *

Yes it does and I see HP gains and engines that can run an entire size larger main jet with the Hyfire attached...

BUT it does not HAVE to be ran with the Mallory.. You can add it later and see gains.

agreed - you can wire it in at anytime....

BIG spark, and Bigger plug gaps are everyones friend smile.gif

make sure you use a CDI type coil (UBER low impedance) if you use a CDI
Jake Raby
BIG spark, and Bigger plug gaps are everyones friend

But hardly notable on a stock engine with lower CR..

Add ccs, add CR and tighten up the quench and you'll see big gains. I have seen 12HP from a 2270 by just flipping a switch on the dyno and enabling the Hyfire 6.. You will not see that from a stock engine, especially with its horrible camshaft
Aaron Cox
very cool info....

the reason i mention coil choice...
I tried the CDI with a 3 OHMblue coil, coil would load up (saturation?) and would miss a few sparks in the 4000+ rpm range, then reset and go again.....

Next i went to a 1.5 OHM pertronix flamethrower coil. All it did was move this intermittant no spark higher into the rpm range.... 4500-5000+....

Finally called mallory (mrgasket) tech info, they said it requires a CDI type coil, so i ended up with a promaster e-coil. nice small package, mounted on the firewall. 60,000 Volt setup. (basically an HEI coil with a mounting package)

works flawlessly
Jake Raby
I ran mine with a blue coil for 59K miles with no issues at all. My bus has had a Blue and a Mallory since 2000 and the timing hasn't even been set
Aaron Cox
wierd....

let the cdi "breathe" with a CDI coil smile.gif
Moneypit
I think im decided on a mallory dist/hyfire. then a cdi type coil, optima battery, new alternator(mines on the brink of doom....)

what kinds of plugs would you suggest? i had some of those 4 electrode sparkers in there before, what would be optimum?
SGB
good 'ol cheap copper Bosch plugs run better in my car than platinums, spit-fires, etc. I guess they will require changing a little more frequently, but I would be pullin 'em before due anyway (I'm just that way)
Moneypit
With the bumped compression, mallory dist/hyfire, what would be the best jetting, venturis, etc for my weber 44 idf's?
Jake Raby
Is it bone stock otherwise?? what exhaust does it have? whats your altitude? what octane fuel do you run? What kind of power do you like, torque or revs??
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 9 2006, 09:08 AM) *

MSD sucks and is made for a V*. It comes out of the box so screwed up that its not even funny.

The Mallory rcks, I have one in every car I own and every engine that leaves my shop gets one standard..

I sell them in my store pre-set for the type 4 engine. I do not have the cheapest price on them because I modify each of them to better suit the Type IV.

Read my description on my store site of the Mallory and you'll see that it solves issues like yours right out of the box, mostly due to more optimal initial advance settings as well as faster advance curves...

I put 90K miles on the unit in my 912E and didn't even change the cap! It works with a regular old blue coil and you don't need fancy spark boxes like the MSD requires.

Jack,
Will the MAllory's you have in the store work on the '75 L-Jet with the dual vac setup ?

Thanks,

Jm Hoyland
Moneypit
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 9 2006, 05:15 PM) *

Is it bone stock otherwise?? what exhaust does it have? whats your altitude? what octane fuel do you run? What kind of power do you like, torque or revs??

Internally: it has euro flat top pistons, with the compression slightly lowered, it was way too high before the rebuild, i cant find the sheet my engine builder gave me, he had exact compression per cylinder worked out.....also, a longer duration cam for carbs... its been two years, i cant remember the specifics anymore. sorry i cant be more specific.

external: it has stock headers, minus the heat boxes, and a monza style dual exhaust. im in Wash DC, so id say im at sealevel, though the cars in arizona, and id be driving to ohio, kentucky, and texas too. i'd be runnin premium fuel for it, its not a daily driver due to my schedule. id prefer a little more torquey, and i definately dont wanna break something. im gonna limit myself to 6k rpm here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.