Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crane XR-700 install help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
i'll save the rant on parts that don't fit for the after-project wrap-up.

meanwhile - for anyone who's installed the Crane XR-700 (715) points replacement module in an early six-cylinder Bosch dizzy - how'd you do it ? which shutter wheel, which mount, what did you have to fabricate to make it go ?

my 'parts kit' came with two shutter wheels with 6 slits so it must be one of those... one has full notches, the other has holes - and a triangular/trochoidal center section that leads me to suspect it's actually for Mazda rotary... the notched one does fit the dizzy cam so i think that's what i need. except that when it's high enough to clear the screw holding the mounting arm to the breaker plate, it doesn't engage the cam - and it rubs the top LED. there's not much room to mount the LED/detector part much lower (to say nothing of no included parts to do it with...) so i'm wondering 'now what' ...

meanwhile, i remain - sparkless in Philadelphia ...
Neal
I have an XR-700 Crane in my 76 2.0, I used a Crane PS-61 Coil. I will look at my rotor for you tonight if you like, I can't recall. I do remember the rotor was a very tight fit and I had to really push hard on it to slide down the shaft. I am not a surgeon so I am sure you can do this if I can.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Neal @ Oct 20 2003, 08:14 AM)
I have an XR-700 Crane in my 76 2.0, I used a Crane PS-61 Coil. I will look at my rotor for you tonight if you like, I can't recall. I do remember the rotor was a very tight fit and I had to really push hard on it to slide down the shaft. I am not a surgeon so I am sure you can do this if I can.

thanks. rotor isn't the issue, the issue is finding a way to mount the LED/photodetector trigger assembly to the breaker plate. none of the Crane-supplied bracketry seems to fit.

BTW - this is a 2,2 911E Bosch dizzy. for the purposes of this BBS, we can pretend it's mounted in a 914.6 :-) ...
scotty
One of the brackets worked fine for me -- I'll look tonight... 74 "S" 6
ArtechnikA
thanks for those providing assistance - it's appreciated!

Pelican (which recommends the same parts) has yet to respond to my email but i did just get off the phone with Crane and we -may- have resolved the installation issues. naturally, it's (probably) something i've been doing wrong but i have a pointer on making it right.

i need the car to run to get me to work tomorrow so i have an incentive to running down the issues tonight - but it's also my wedding anniversary so i already have other plans that do not involve tinkering with car parts... it'll get reconciled somehow ...

i'll keep y'all posted ...
scotty
Okay, here's what I've got left in the box after installing a 715 kit (Hint: I'll open up the firewall porthole and look if this doesn't help) --

the 6 slot rotor with the slots in the aww hell, here's the pix (quickie photos damn my skills with a camera!)
scotty
and now for the out of focus pix
scotty
and (...flood control???? )
scotty
These are the parts that I DDIDN'T use. I hope this helps....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(scotty @ Oct 20 2003, 05:06 PM)
These are the parts that I DIDN'T use. I hope this helps....

Hmmm....

that's the Z bracket i wasn't going to use, so i guess that's cool, but i couldn't get the other 6-slit shutter wheel over the points cam, i've been trying to use the one you didn't ...

hmmm...

i -think- my problem is how ive been trying to mount the Z-bracket to the dizzy plate, if my discussion with Crane tech support is any guidance... i'll check out the options...

so - you used the shutter wheel with the 6 little windows - as opposed to the slotted one pictured here? interesting ...
ArtechnikA
okay, boys and girls, i think i've got it, thanks for the help.
i've got the trigger block and the shutter wheel (the one Scotty didn't use) in the dizzy and it looks okay, no interference. i've gotta go tighten up all the screws i left loose for 'trial assembly' and do some preliminary static-timing and phasing but i think it's gonna be okay. next up - get the dizzy back in the car, hook up the HI-6, a quick dynamic time, and on my way. (that's how the script reads right now ...)

i'll get a photograph once i -know- it's right, for the archives.

ONE decent drawing or photograph showing an actual working installation would have saved me 2 days ...
ArtechnikA
IT RUNS!

as half-assed mickey-mouse installations go, mine's not the worst i've done, certainly not the worst i've seen, but it still needs a LOT of cleanup before it'll be 'ready'. but i'm gonna decree it 'good enough' (once i add another couple of clothespins and bungee cords - i wish i were kidding - and go to work.)

oh - gotta adjust the timing too - it's way too advanced. still some tweakage...

notes and pictures later ...
davep
Nothing beats success. Congratulations on the effort. Also congrats on the anniversary. Of course, it is now your turn to do a tech article, complete with pictures, on how to do this properly.

DaveP
scotty
smilie_pokal.gif Allright! smilie_pokal.gif

Hmm. You used the one I didn't? How strange. Now I'm going to be forced to look at my dizzy next time I've got the porthole open and compare it to your picture (and post mine, maybe).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.