Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dash face material
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I was looking at the dash that is going to be going in to my 73. I need to cover the face with something, and was wondering if anyone has tried anything other than the basketweave and woodgrain. The car is going to be a metallic grey, and I have thought about trying to redo the interior pieces in a darker grey, but I may stick with black. Any help ??
race914
Carbon Fiber?
Gary
This thread may help with some ideas. I'm partial to aluminum, but have a few other projects to complete first.
Rand
QUOTE(Gary @ Aug 8 2006, 08:18 PM) *

Bingo, that's the thread I was just about to search for. There are others to be found with the 'search' function too.

To answer the original question, yes, for sure, many many things have been done.

I'm still running the burlap. laugh.gif Will probably go with black vinyl next.

You could go with a number of different materials, or colors. I just thought of SirAndy's very cool red theme.

Lots of looks / options. Take the whole interior scheme into account and design something interesting. Go for it, get creative, and share what you do!

edit: Ha.. found the SirAndy photo I was thinking of (hope you don't mind me posting Andy!)

IPB Image
David_S
OK ....I like the looks of the "red theme". I don't know why, but in my opinion, the basketweave just kills the dash. Something like this just looks better to me. I have thought about the carbon fiber, but I am not to sure about it either! Maybe Andy will chime in on how it was done !!
markb
I did this to the red car.

RON S.
I did mine in a carbon fiber laminate.

Wasn't hard to do.

Total cost came to about $120.00

heres a couple pics.

Ron
RON S.
Second one.

Ron
MoveQik
QUOTE(RON S. @ Aug 9 2006, 06:18 AM) *

Wasn't hard to do.

heres a couple pics.

Ron

Ron - Is that a kit or id you cut it all out yourself? If so, any chance you can provide a how-to?

Mike
toon1
the carbon fiber look is awsome. I've been wanting to do the same to mine. It gives that racer feel and still close to the basket weave look.

How'd you do it?
Demick
QUOTE(toon1 @ Aug 9 2006, 12:40 PM) *

the carbon fiber look is awsome. I've been wanting to do the same to mine. It gives that racer feel and still close to the basket weave look.

How'd you do it?

my carbon fiber dash
szuccaro
I also tried the brushed aluminum look. Steve
JPB
Go to 9Xauto.com/914.html and look into all the AWSOME kits they have. They also have CF in red, blue, 3 types of black, and yellow as well as a doxen wood finishes. All you do is stick it on and its done perfectly. I think its worth the money considering the time it would take to do the work from scratch.

beer.gif Hands down perfect!
Moneypit
are the 9x auto ones real metal, or just a fake metal-looking texture? id go for it, since ive wanted an aluminum/chrome look in my interior for along time, but i dont want it to be tacky fake plastic stuff....

is there someone still making real aluminum dashes?
bondo

Second one.

Ron

Tell me about that pedal board! I don't remember seeing those in the club store.
JPB
QUOTE(Moneypit @ Aug 9 2006, 06:49 PM) *

are the 9x auto ones real metal, or just a fake metal-looking texture? id go for it, since ive wanted an aluminum/chrome look in my interior for along time, but i dont want it to be tacky fake plastic stuff....

is there someone still making real aluminum dashes?

Nah sorry bud, I always think carbon fiber out of habbit . They do have very nice wood dashes. Aluminum dashes I think are all custome and are a sinch to make if you have a jigsaw, a drill, and a right angle air buffer for scotch pads to give it the look you want.

Its worth a look at 9Xauto though for inspiration!
JPB
QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 9 2006, 07:15 PM) *

Second one.

Ron

Tell me about that pedal board! I don't remember seeing those in the club store.

Engman has some awsome stuff that you can get that is water jet cut like aluminium floor boards. I got some SS door stays from him that are like jewelry!

beer.gif Look him up!Engman10@gmail.com TELL HIM JPB sent ya!
lapuwali
Pedal boards are in the vendor section, not the club store. Very nice stuff.
bondo
QUOTE(JPB @ Aug 9 2006, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(bondo @ Aug 9 2006, 07:15 PM) *

Second one.

Ron

Engman has some awsome stuff that you can get that is water jet cut like aluminium floor boards. I got some SS door stays from him that are like jewelry!

beer.gif Look him up!Engman10@gmail.com TELL HIM JPB sent ya!

Aha, I knew of those, just didn't know they had a 914club logo. biggrin.gif Pretty nifty!
East coaster
Isn't the 914club pedal board a "one off" by Ron?
RON S.
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Aug 9 2006, 11:13 AM) *

Wasn't hard to do.

heres a couple pics.

Ron

Ron - Is that a kit or id you cut it all out yourself? If so, any chance you can provide a how-to?

Mike

Mike,
I bought the material from a place called DragonPlate outa New York.
It came in sheets 6"X24"X.020 It also has a peel and stick backing.It cut real easy witha pair of scissors.Around the glove box area I used a Heatgun to form the edges.It was a really simple job.I think I paid about $35.00 a sheet for the material,and needed 3 sheets to properly do the job.

QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 9 2006, 04:55 PM) *

Yes, the pedalboard is a one off that I designed to fit my car only because of the oil lines.It was laser cut from .060 thick Titanium,and is really light,and incredibly stiff.

Ron
TC Johnson
Since so many have suggested carbon, from our racing brothers, how about going back to the early days of racing and use an engine turned dash. I found a site http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/et/et.htm that talks about some of the work this guy does on everything from antique cars to folding knives.

Very cool! aktion035.gif

I tried to post one of the pictures on his site, but had no success.

TC

fin
Real Leather?

Google for upholstery leather or FAA spec (fire resistant) leather. Lots of colors and imprinted designs.

Carbon fiber is too shiny for my tastes. And suffers from the Casio effect, i.e. overused as costs have decreased.

Good Luck,

Fin
Engman
QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 9 2006, 08:55 PM) *

I belive it is - he did a real nice job on making his own.

The 914club and swoosh outline are trademark and I do not put it into the boards I make.

If you want to make one for yourself - well ask an admin before you do it.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.